Water Charges. How much?

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Tax parents for ginger children.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on December 30, 2014, 03:50:22 PM
if people don't like the concept of water charges they should suggest an alternative form of taxation.

And then ask the troika if it is ok to implement it.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on December 29, 2014, 07:59:48 PM
I see Liam Neeson has been on the egg nog
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/liam-neeson-will-not-return-to-ireland-because-of-water-charges-star-says-people-have-been-fed-from-a-great-height-by-bankers-and-government-30863244.html

now whether you agree with water charges or not, people still have to pay for water, the only issue is whether the people who use it should contribute or will the usual suspects have to pay for everything. Either way 50c a day should not be material in deciding where a millionaire should want to live.
Actor with impending film release gives journalists a soundbite. Shocker.

And given that he lives in a country where there's direct payment for water...

muppet

Just got an email from Irish Water telling me my next bill is due.

Now I am not a protestor as there are far greater reasons to my mind the 100,000 could be marching on the Dáil, e.g. the Heath Service, Banks etc. But they are for other threads.

My problem is this.

It has a link in the email telling me to click 'Here' to go to my account. There it has a login page with my email address pre-filled. Thus all it is looking for is the password. I assumed, because it was so amateurish, that it must be a phishing scam, so I closed the browser, re-opened it and navigated myself to Irish Water's website. But it appears that it wasn't a scam.

It looked for all the world exactly like the AIB and Bank of Ireland scams that have been doing the rounds for months, where they get you to click open a page that looks like what you expect, and then you enter your logon details, only for the scammer to record them while you can't scratch your head unable to access your account. A day of two later your money is gone.

How long before scammers send similar emails getting people to logon and actually make payments to scammers, because the people at  Irish Water haven't the wit to know what sort of scams are doing the rounds?

Any tech heads able to enlighten me as to whether or not my fears are well founded, or am I missing something?

MWWSI 2017

mikehunt

Quote from: muppet on July 23, 2015, 10:10:21 PM
Just got an email from Irish Water telling me my next bill is due.

Now I am not a protestor as there are far greater reasons to my mind the 100,000 could be marching on the Dáil, e.g. the Heath Service, Banks etc. But they are for other threads.

My problem is this.

It has a link in the email telling me to click 'Here' to go to my account. There it has a login page with my email address pre-filled. Thus all it is looking for is the password. I assumed, because it was so amateurish, that it must be a phishing scam, so I closed the browser, re-opened it and navigated myself to Irish Water's website. But it appears that it wasn't a scam.

It looked for all the world exactly like the AIB and Bank of Ireland scams that have been doing the rounds for months, where they get you to click open a page that looks like what you expect, and then you enter your logon details, only for the scammer to record them while you can't scratch your head unable to access your account. A day of two later your money is gone.

How long before scammers send similar emails getting people to logon and actually make payments to scammers, because the people at  Irish Water haven't the wit to know what sort of scams are doing the rounds?

Any tech heads able to enlighten me as to whether or not my fears are well founded, or am I missing something?

Not sure why you're surprised. This is a quango. Water infrastructure and security of customer details are way down the list of priorities. There are bonuses to be paid out of the €23.65 revenue received so far.

imtommygunn

Phishing tends to be more geared towards sites where you can get access to people's money.

It just sounds shoddy as opposed to suspect though for click here to login on an email I would be careful as that tends to be what phishing emails are like. If you store your payment details, e.g. credit card or bank details, then I would be wary of a click here as it could be targetted but it's no more susceptible than most other sites I usspect.

Basically always check the URL and you should be fine.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2015, 01:24:02 PM
Phishing tends to be more geared towards sites where you can get access to people's money.

It just sounds shoddy as opposed to suspect though for click here to login on an email I would be careful as that tends to be what phishing emails are like. If you store your payment details, e.g. credit card or bank details, then I would be wary of a click here as it could be targetted but it's no more susceptible than most other sites I usspect.

Basically always check the URL and you should be fine.

As soon as you access the site it shows you a bill and asks for a payment and offers credit card payments. It is a phisherman's dream.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

ashman

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/liam-neeson-will-not-return-to-ireland-because-of-water-charges-star-says-people-have-been-fed-from-a-great-height-by-bankers-and-government-30863244.html

now whether you agree with water charges or not, people still have to pay for water, the only issue is whether the people who use it should contribute or will the usual suspects have to pay for everything. Either way 50c a day should not be material in deciding where a millionaire should want to live.

Another luvvie spouting populist 5hite .  He continues to live in US where water is bloody dear and was home of the sub prime mortgage . 

mikehunt

Quote from: ashman on March 03, 2016, 01:41:49 AM

Another luvvie spouting populist 5hite .  He continues to live in US where water is bloody dear and was home of the sub prime mortgage .

Fair play to Liam, bright bloke like him knows what's going on. Just cos he's successful u get the usual begrudgery and knocking of opinions cos "he don't know what it's like to live on my meagre wage".

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 03, 2016, 11:00:00 AM
Not sure where to throw this link, here looked the best bet!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/murphy-takes-the-mickey-out-of-the-irish-people-34674660.html
Wow. Paul Murphy has a salary of €87k plus expenses. But because he funnels his money through the AAA, he can claim to have disposable income of less than €18k, so that we (or those of us who pay tax) can pay his legal bills for him.

It's no wonder he gets so many votes from the "Let someone else pay for it" brigade!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hound on May 03, 2016, 11:21:42 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 03, 2016, 11:00:00 AM
Not sure where to throw this link, here looked the best bet!

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/murphy-takes-the-mickey-out-of-the-irish-people-34674660.html
Wow. Paul Murphy has a salary of €87k plus expenses. But because he funnels his money through the AAA, he can claim to have disposable income of less than €18k, so that we (or those of us who pay tax) can pay his legal bills for him.

It's no wonder he gets so many votes from the "Let someone else pay for it" brigade!
I thought they all voted SF.

Rossfan

Where's the public outrage about this private school educated hypocritical sponging cnut?
If a FFr/FGr tried that they'd be forced out of the Dàil while if it was a SFr the Indorag would be in full cry.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM