Water Charges. How much?

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on October 31, 2014, 07:44:26 PM
I hope everyone gets out this weekend and shows support against these charges.

Let's stop this before it gets out of hand. We let them screw us over with the bailout and if we don't act now it will happen again.
The politicians need to be accountable for what they do and how much they plan to spend, but can't let this turn into another black hole the way it is being implemented.

No more.

This is like taking off the corner forward when you are 40 points down with a minute to go.

Too little, far, far too late.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

I suppose the question should also be why should we pay road tax?  Don't we pay enough tax already.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2014, 04:29:50 PM

Let's stop this before it gets out of hand. We let them screw us over with the bailout and if we don't act now it will happen again.
The politicians need to be accountable for what they do and how much they plan to spend, but can't let this turn into another black hole the way it is being implemented.

No more.

This is like taking off the corner forward when you are 40 points down with a minute to go.

Maybe it is too late this time but perhaps it's the wake up call the country needs to start questioning what their leaders are up to.
FF, FG, Labour need to be thrown in the bin.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 02, 2014, 06:11:01 PM

No more.

Maybe it is too late this time but perhaps it's the wake up call the country needs to start questioning what their leaders are up to.

Along with Sinn Féin.

Replacing Civil War politics with even earlier politics is hardly the way forward.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Might be a bit late to go back now, but this could be Enda's poll tax in that it knocks him out.

mylestheslasher

Protests need to be in Berlin where the decisions are made. Get used to it folks, get rid of water taxes they'll just cut benefits or increase income tax. We have big bills to pay and its that bail out where we were fucked over. All this anger is years too late.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 02, 2014, 08:03:40 PM
Might be a bit late to go back now, but this could be Enda's poll tax in that it knocks him out.

The way spins works so successfully is incredible. People just swallow it whole, without salt or even water (!) to wash it down.

Here is the IMF deal signed in 2010 by Lenihan, but he gets some sympathy from me because of the way he was shafted. Someone called Strauss-Kahn released it.

https://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2010/irl/120310.pdf

iii. Structural reforms

In advance of the introduction of water charges
- The government will have undertaken an independent assessment of transfer of responsibility for water services provision from local authorities to a water utility, and prepare proposals for implementation, as appropriate with a view to start charging in 2012/2013.

Trichet's letters will hopefully come out soon. But even if it emerges that Trichet told Lenihan he would nuke Castleknock if they didn't sign up, it would still be Kenny's fault.

Even more stupid is recent media commentary that Trichet's letter was somewhat irrelevant in terms of the pressure it applied, because Honohan had gone on the radio the day before to say we needed a bail out. Honohan worked for the ECB ffs. Has everyone in Ireland (media, the opposition, the Government) forgotten that? Or does today's political need trump any thinking or facts whatsoever?

Morgan Kelly even explained it to us and still everyone has forgotten: http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/ireland-s-future-depends-on-breaking-free-from-bailout-1.565236

He put it perfectly:

Rarely has a finance minister been so deftly sliced off at the ankles by his central bank governor.

It would be a sign of progress if would could actually recognise who actually shafted us before we try to get them back.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 02, 2014, 08:17:17 PM
Protests need to be in Berlin where the decisions are made. Get used to it folks, get rid of water taxes they'll just cut benefits or increase income tax. We have big bills to pay and its that bail out where we were fucked over. All this anger is years too late.

Well said, here we are years after the horse has bolted looking for justice!

I'm all for Free Electricity, Telephone, Travel if water supplies is free. Sure the same principles carry for those services. I and my family before me have always paid for water supply. I can't see why not. It costs money to supply water to my house and why should anybody else pay for my convenience?

mikehunt

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 02, 2014, 08:38:13 PM

I'm all for Free Electricity, Telephone, Travel if water supplies is free. Sure the same principles carry for those services. I and my family before me have always paid for water supply. I can't see why not. It costs money to supply water to my house and why should anybody else pay for my convenience?

Even if the bank debt burden was removed we would still be running a deficit.  Major contributor to this is an over inflated public service on over inflated salaries. Yet you have no problem paying for another quango which is what Irish Water is?

Failing that, how's about these f**kers make companies like Apple and Google pay the tax they owe rather than chasing people who don't pay property tax. Might be more money to be found down that alley.

muppet

Quote from: mikehunt on November 02, 2014, 09:30:31 PM

Even if the bank debt burden was removed we would still be running a deficit.  Major contributor to this is an over inflated public service on over inflated salaries. Yet you have no problem paying for another quango which is what Irish Water is?

Failing that, how's about these f**kers make companies like Apple and Google pay the tax they owe rather than chasing people who don't pay property tax. Might be more money to be found down that alley.

It is time to tackle all these unfunded public service pensions, particularly the ones over €100,000. They have taxed to death any private pensions, which are paid for privately, but have not introduced equivalent taxes on their own pensions, which of course are paid for by the taxpayer.
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2014, 07:50:40 PM

No more.

Along with Sinn Féin.

Replacing Civil War politics with even earlier politics is hardly the way forward.

From my recollection SF aren't the political party that have led the people into the current mess or sold Ireland down the river.

Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour are GUILTY of lining their own pockets and those of their pals.

If the people are beginning to see this then at least not all is in vain. For too long people have voted because of family allegiences or because the TD is from the locality etc. Hopefully they'll now see that it doesn't matter where your representative is from, only if they are making a difference for the greater good.
If not, get rid of them.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

mikehunt

Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2014, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: mikehunt on November 02, 2014, 09:30:31 PM

It is time to tackle all these unfunded public service pensions, particularly the ones over €100,000. They have taxed to death any private pensions, which are paid for privately, but have not introduced equivalent taxes on their own pensions, which of course are paid for by the taxpayer.

And they have the neck to call the pension levy a pay cut.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on November 03, 2014, 05:20:37 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 02, 2014, 07:50:40 PM

No more.

Along with Sinn Féin.

From my recollection SF aren't the political party that have led the people into the current mess or sold Ireland down the river.

Fine Gael, Fianna Fail and Labour are GUILTY of lining their own pockets and those of their pals.

If the people are beginning to see this then at least not all is in vain. For too long people have voted because of family allegiences or because the TD is from the locality etc. Hopefully they'll now see that it doesn't matter where your representative is from, only if they are making a difference for the greater good.
If not, get rid of them.

Sinn Féin voted for the Bank Guarantee.

MWWSI 2017

johnneycool

Water, electricity and whatever other public services will be picked over by the corporate animals and was part of the deal for the baleout, just like any other third world country going to the IMF or ECB for a loan, Ireland was afforded no special dispensation.

I remember at the time some financial expert saying at the time about how receptive the Irish public were to the bailouts and due to high levels of 'social cohesion' they weren't expecting anywhere near the same upheaveal and demonstrations as was being experienced in Greece when the cuts came there.

Maybe the Greeks saw the bigger picture sooner than the subservient Irish who're only seeing it now, a death by a 1000 cuts too late in the day.

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on November 03, 2014, 10:45:03 AM

Water, electricity and whatever other public services will be picked over by the corporate animals and was part of the deal for the baleout, just like any other third world country going to the IMF or ECB for a loan, Ireland was afforded no special dispensation.

I remember at the time some financial expert saying at the time about how receptive the Irish public were to the bailouts and due to high levels of 'social cohesion' they weren't expecting anywhere near the same upheaveal and demonstrations as was being experienced in Greece when the cuts came there.

Maybe the Greeks saw the bigger picture sooner than the subservient Irish who're only seeing it now, a death by a 1000 cuts too late in the day.

We have been terribly let down by our lazy media and trough loving political and trade union classes.

In fact it is very difficult to think of anyone that spoke out against all of this consistently other than Morgan Kelly.
MWWSI 2017