Water Charges. How much?

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 22, 2014, 09:03:38 PM
And not a cent in promoting people to install rainwater harvesting systems for toilets, watering garden and washing cars
I agree 100% with such initiatives. It's a waste that water treated to drinking standard is used to flush toilets. But surely it's up to the general public to take some initiative. It's no different than turning down the thermostat or changing to low energy bulbs to reduce your energy use and bills.

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on October 22, 2014, 08:18:42 PM
I suppose you think the ESB should come in and change your light bulbs for you also.

I'd ask Irish Water to do the bulbs. At €188 per hour I'd expect some painting to be done as well.

Jeepers Creepers

Just wait until your neighbours go to bed and connect your hose to their outside tap. Whistle while watering your plants in the morning.....

Tubberman

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 22, 2014, 09:11:28 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 22, 2014, 09:03:38 PM
And not a cent in promoting people to install rainwater harvesting systems for toilets, watering garden and washing cars
I agree 100% with such initiatives. It's a waste that water treated to drinking standard is used to flush toilets. But surely it's up to the general public to take some initiative. It's no different than turning down the thermostat or changing to low energy bulbs to reduce your energy use and bills.

I was looking at one of those rainwater harvesting systems at the Ideal Homes show. The guy told me it would cost ~€4.5k to install the system. You'd be over 20 years paying water charges before you'd recoup your money, so it doesn't add up at the moment unfortunately, unless they bring in a grant for it...
Part of the expense is that the water needs to be passed through a filter before it's allowed flow into the same tank as the mains water, so he said - EPA or somebody enforcing this I presume?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AZOffaly

I have a water Butt for the greenhouse, but I've never set it up. Anyone used any of these? What's the pressure like on it? I'm thinking of running a hose pipe out of it, and into the greenhouse so I can water the plants in there by simply turning on the tap at the Butt. Anyone done something like that before?

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2014, 02:28:11 PM
I have a water Butt for the greenhouse, but I've never set it up. Anyone used any of these? What's the pressure like on it? I'm thinking of running a hose pipe out of it, and into the greenhouse so I can water the plants in there by simply turning on the tap at the Butt. Anyone done something like that before?

If the butt is on the ground and you tap it near the bottom, then this would be lower than the plants and you might not succeed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I have the butt raised about 2 feet. Surely i have to tap it at the bottom, otherwise the pressure will be too weak?

gerrykeegan

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Set up water butt at door of greenhouse, fill watering can from water butt, walk the 2 steps back into greenhouse, water plants you lazy f**ker  ;)
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

AZOffaly

away outta that. I'm thinking of inventing a remote control that will turn on and off the tap from the kitchen window when I'm making a cup of tea.

foxcommander

I hope everyone gets out this weekend and shows support against these charges.

Let's stop this before it gets out of hand. We let them screw us over with the bailout and if we don't act now it will happen again.
The politicians need to be accountable for what they do and how much they plan to spend, but can't let this turn into another black hole the way it is being implemented.

No more.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Rossfan

So that's the end of water charges then?  ::)
So what then ? another 1% added to VAT?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2014, 08:55:06 PM

Then the govt would probably spend some money on the infrastructure which would be far preferable to the proposed IW shambles.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 31, 2014, 08:58:51 PM

Then the govt would probably spend some money on the infrastructure which would be far preferable to the proposed IW shambles.
You believe that Seanie do you?
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

trileacman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 31, 2014, 08:58:51 PM

So one under-funded system should be favoured over another? Sure why don't we take all the education money and put it into health.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

mikehunt

Quote from: trileacman on October 31, 2014, 11:05:47 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 31, 2014, 08:58:51 PMt

So one under-funded system should be favoured over another? Sure why don't we take all the education money and put it into health.

Why are you swallowing the lies that water charges will primarily go towards the under funded infrastructure when it's been obvious over the last few months that it's just another trough for these greedy fcukers to feed from.