Water Charges. How much?

Started by Denn Forever, May 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I'd agree with clearing the Seanad. But we actually voted to keep it for some reason. If Enda had a referendum to keep it open, he might have got it closed.

I would also begin emptying the various quangos of their political appointees. Bertie and Harney made over 700 appointments between them, according to Shane Ross (who I would also get rid of).
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Can but dream. Can't see common sense prevailing any time soon.

I'd love to see some anonymous vote taken of all TD's to see how many actually back the water charges. Add in the senate too so the figures would be a little harder to make out party allegiances (thus no repercussions).

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

LeoMc

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 17, 2014, 10:06:28 AM
Is yours a commercial property Leo? If not you shouldn't be paying wTer charges in the north.

You can use a few different companies to test the water.

http://www.testmywater.co.uk/epages/es635543.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es635543

Cheers, it is not commercial but I can see water charges coming down the line so I would want to have an "existing" supply when and if that time comes.
We are at the end of the line and fairly high do the mains supply is not perfect.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on October 17, 2014, 07:13:41 PM
Can but dream. Can't see common sense prevailing any time soon.

I'd love to see some anonymous vote taken of all TD's to see how many actually back the water charges. Add in the senate too so the figures would be a little harder to make out party allegiances (thus no repercussions).

None I'd say.

They along with lots of other crap came with the IMF/EU bailout.

We owe them money for years to come: http://www.ntma.ie/business-areas/funding-and-debt-management/euimf-programme/

Both the Government and the Opposition are insulting us by pretending that either can change whatever they want. They can't.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on October 17, 2014, 06:41:02 PM
What would you say to secret ballots at dail. One of the problems is the fear of "party whips".
And the party you seem to favour cracks it the hardest.

Quote from: foxcommander on October 17, 2014, 06:41:02 PM
The people should elect candidates based on their prior public service track record to implement changes and get the job done, not because they've managed the Galway and Mayo football team for example or because his grandfather also was a TD years ago.
What exact job are you talking about? Serious question. Because there are probably several different answers, depending on who you ask.

mikehunt

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-staff-bonuses-jarring-says-alex-white-1.1970108

€188 for the 1st hour for a call out to fix a leak? So if we're paying to fix the leaks then what's the point of Irish Water? I thought it was in order to fund improvement in the water system?

In a situation where you have a septic tank but no metre and you are aware of a leak then it would be cheaper to ignore the leak and just pay the flat rate. I love Irish semi state "efficiency".

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on October 20, 2014, 01:07:01 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-water-staff-bonuses-jarring-says-alex-white-1.1970108

€188 for the 1st hour for a call out to fix a leak? So if we're paying to fix the leaks then what's the point of Irish Water? I thought it was in order to fund improvement in the water system?
Why would Irish Water (and by extension, all its other customers) pay to fix a leak on your property? Do you expect them to fix the drip on your kitchen tap? Call a plumber if you can get it fixed cheaper.

In a situation where you have a septic tank but no metre and you are aware of a leak then it would be cheaper to ignore the leak and just pay the flat rate. I love Irish semi state "efficiency".
The septic tank part is irrelevant as sewage charges are based on the water meter reading, so if you're not metered for water, it doesn't matter what's happening your waste. And i'm no scientist, but if the pipe supplying water to your house was cracked, would there not be a risk of contamination? That'd be reason enough for me to get it repaired.

mikehunt

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 21, 2014, 07:55:15 PM

Why would Irish Water (and by extension, all its other customers) pay to fix a leak on your property? Do you expect them to fix the drip on your kitchen tap? Call a plumber if you can get it fixed cheaper.

The septic tank part is irrelevant as sewage charges are based on the water meter reading, so if you're not metered for water, it doesn't matter what's happening your waste. And i'm no scientist, but if the pipe supplying water to your house was cracked, would there not be a risk of contamination? That'd be reason enough for me to get it repaired.

We are now paying twice for water, the least they could do is offer to shore up all leaks as a gesture of goodwill, or failing that offer to fix at a reasonable price. Isn't the point of it all to improve the infratstructure? Fixing leaks would be a start.

You're missing my point about the septic tank. with a septic tank water charges are half of that of a sytem without a septic tank. In this case the charges would be about €200. Now if you had a leak in your mains supply but no metre then to get the leak fixed would cost €188. My point (for the hard of learning) is that you're better off just ignoring the leak as the charge will be the same. This, again goes against the concept of providing an efficient water supply.

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on October 22, 2014, 02:57:38 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 21, 2014, 07:55:15 PM

We are now paying twice for water, the least they could do is offer to shore up all leaks as a gesture of goodwill, or failing that offer to fix at a reasonable price. Isn't the point of it all to improve the infratstructure? Fixing leaks would be a start.
Two things:
1 - A leak on your property is not part of Irish Water's infrastructure. It's your property. It's no more Irish Water's obligation than a problem with your kitchen tap.
2 - It has already been announced that Irish Water will fix a first leak for free. The charges are for subsequent leaks. And unless i'm mistaken, you're free to call your own plumber, if you can get a better price.

Quote from: mikehunt on October 22, 2014, 02:57:38 PM
You're missing my point about the septic tank. with a septic tank water charges are half of that of a sytem without a septic tank. In this case the charges would be about €200. Now if you had a leak in your mains supply but no metre then to get the leak fixed would cost €188. My point (for the hard of learning) is that you're better off just ignoring the leak as the charge will be the same. This, again goes against the concept of providing an efficient water supply.
For the hard of learning indeed.  ::)

Your bill for discharging to a public sewer is based on the volume of water as read by your water meter - the volume of water supplied is assumed to be equal to the volume of wastewater removed (i.e. you use X,000 litres of water from your taps - your sewage charge is based X,000 of waste water back into the sewer, your sewage volume isn't measured independently).

So, if your water supply has no meter, then your waste supply isn't measured either. Therefore if you're not metered, it's irrelevant whether you have a septic tank or connection to the public sewer, in the context of leaks.

mikehunt

They should hire you as a pr rep for Irish water. My point is that Irish water should be encouraging leaks to be fixed no matter where they are. Charging 188 for the first hour and 240 if it's after 5pm tells us all we need to know about their strategy. I'm not going to explain the sewerage tank issue again except to say that it discourages people from fixing leaks.

armaghniac

I suppose you think the ESB should come in and change your light bulbs for you also.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: mikehunt on October 22, 2014, 07:47:21 PM
They should hire you as a pr rep for Irish water.
To explain things to people who don't understand?

Quote from: mikehunt on October 22, 2014, 07:47:21 PM
I'm not going to explain the sewerage tank issue again except to say that it discourages people from fixing leaks.
Again, the septic tank does not discourage people from fixing leaks. Unmetered water supply may do, but where your waste water goes is irrelevant.

manfromdelmonte

And not a cent in promoting people to install rainwater harvesting systems for toilets, watering garden and washing cars

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 22, 2014, 09:03:38 PM
And not a cent in promoting people to install rainwater harvesting systems for toilets, watering garden and washing cars

You want us to pay you for that?

Buy it yourself.

€29.99 in Woodies and a free video to install it: http://youtu.be/NmuEHIe6Ibo
MWWSI 2017