Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Ball Hopper

It definatley helps to share, even on this almost-anonymous forum.

Ball Hopper

'Tis half-time!!! Completed chemo 4 from 4-6 February.   One more session starts in February (18th) and three start in March (3rd, 17th and 31st) to make up the second half...will be there in no time!

Weight loss came in at 3lbs/1.5kg, which is acceptable. 

White blood cell counts and platelets were back to normal by chemo 4 test, even if at the low end of the normal range.  Glucose levels also near normal, if a little high.  It is all balancing out, even if at the edges.

Cold sensitivity set in earlier this time, with my fingers numb as soon as I got home.  Again, better management helped me overcome it – and the toes tingling for most of the following day – warm water soaking for the fingers several times a day and wearing gloves fulltime along with super warm socks.  It is a very odd side effect.  More or less gone by late Saturday, but still keeping away from touching cold objects – might as well keep that habit full time until done with the drug that causes it.

A little bit of mouth tenderness again, but relatively mild – plenty of rinsing the mouth with salt/baking soda in warm water, along with a soft toothbrush, several times each day helps greatly.  However, appetite stayed good throughout and I think I'm keeping my strength up fairly well.

Fatigue did not hit me hard on this session, although I took afternoon naps on Thursday and Friday as the body told me I needed to do so.  Again, going to bed earlier every night (9:30pm or so) was a big help. 

Avoiding infection is top priority.  Working from home is a blessing as I avoid people all the time.  Being careful around raw foods is important, as is letting any visitors know that if they have even been in contact with sick people, let alone being sick themselves, then they can visit some other time.

Next oncologist review "between sessions" is set for Wednesday and I'm hoping we will have a good plan to win the second half of Part 1 of my treatment.  Again, I'm very pleased with the way things are going...the chemo drugs are working and I'm not suffering greatly in any way from the side effects.   I feel blessed that the side effects are not dragging me down and I really enjoy the days I'm feeling great – which is the vast majority of the time.

GAAGO was prime viewing this week, plus a totally harmless BBC show New Tricks (on season 4) that is funny in patches.  Vera (season 8) is on the list for next week.

Half-way there is a great feeling.  I'm not suffering much and am eating well, not much more I can do but face each day with a good attitude and continue to enjoy the days I'm feeling good to the max.

Thanks again for all the support and good wishes. 

balladmaker

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 09, 2020, 10:04:17 PM
'Tis half-time!!! Completed chemo 4 from 4-6 February.   One more session starts in February (18th) and three start in March (3rd, 17th and 31st) to make up the second half...will be there in no time!

Weight loss came in at 3lbs/1.5kg, which is acceptable. 

White blood cell counts and platelets were back to normal by chemo 4 test, even if at the low end of the normal range.  Glucose levels also near normal, if a little high.  It is all balancing out, even if at the edges.

Cold sensitivity set in earlier this time, with my fingers numb as soon as I got home.  Again, better management helped me overcome it – and the toes tingling for most of the following day – warm water soaking for the fingers several times a day and wearing gloves fulltime along with super warm socks.  It is a very odd side effect.  More or less gone by late Saturday, but still keeping away from touching cold objects – might as well keep that habit full time until done with the drug that causes it.

A little bit of mouth tenderness again, but relatively mild – plenty of rinsing the mouth with salt/baking soda in warm water, along with a soft toothbrush, several times each day helps greatly.  However, appetite stayed good throughout and I think I'm keeping my strength up fairly well.

Fatigue did not hit me hard on this session, although I took afternoon naps on Thursday and Friday as the body told me I needed to do so.  Again, going to bed earlier every night (9:30pm or so) was a big help. 

Avoiding infection is top priority.  Working from home is a blessing as I avoid people all the time.  Being careful around raw foods is important, as is letting any visitors know that if they have even been in contact with sick people, let alone being sick themselves, then they can visit some other time.

Next oncologist review "between sessions" is set for Wednesday and I'm hoping we will have a good plan to win the second half of Part 1 of my treatment.  Again, I'm very pleased with the way things are going...the chemo drugs are working and I'm not suffering greatly in any way from the side effects.   I feel blessed that the side effects are not dragging me down and I really enjoy the days I'm feeling great – which is the vast majority of the time.

GAAGO was prime viewing this week, plus a totally harmless BBC show New Tricks (on season 4) that is funny in patches.  Vera (season 8) is on the list for next week.

Half-way there is a great feeling.  I'm not suffering much and am eating well, not much more I can do but face each day with a good attitude and continue to enjoy the days I'm feeling good to the max.

Inspirational BH, keep it going and all of this will be in the past before you know it, and you'll be facing into another summer and championship in great form!  Wishing you all the best over the coming treatments.

macdanger2

illdecide

Brilliant BH, fair play to you. Keep it up and the treatment will be over in no time at all, dunno if i'd be as strong as you are so hats off to ya.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ball Hopper

Into the second half now.  Completed chemo 5 from 18-20 February.   Just the three sessions in March (3rd, 17th and 31st) to go.

Weight loss came in at 5lbs/2.2 kg, which is ok...total weight loss from chemo 2 on 7 Jan is only 8 lbs/3.7 kg.  I've a feeling the second half will hit me harder than the first, but that is to be expected.

White blood cell and platelet counts still normal by chemo 5 test, even if at the low end of the normal range.  Glucose levels also nearer normal, if a little high.  It is all balancing out, even if at the edges.

Cold sensitivity set in early again with my fingers numb as soon as I got home.  Again, better management helped me overcome it – and the toes tingling for most of the following day – warm water soaking for the fingers several times a day and wearing gloves fulltime along with super warm socks.  It is a very odd side effect.  More or less gone by Sunday, but still keeping away from touching cold objects – might as well keep that habit full time until done with oxaliplatin, the drug that causes it.

A few have enquired about this cold sensitivity, so I did a little research, with the medical term being Peripheral Neuropathy:  "Peripheral Neuropathy is described as a numbness, tingling, or burning sensation in the fingers, hands, feet, or toes.  Certain chemotherapy drugs can affect your nerves in such a way that they can't communicate properly with the brain.  This miscommunication causes symptoms such as pain/burning or numbness.  You may be more prone to developing neuropathy if you have diabetes.  Oxaliplatin can cause increased sensitivity to cold only."

Fatigue set in early in this session too, afternoon naps till Saturday as the body told me I needed to do so.  Expecting this to increase in March, but the solution is easy...nap time as needed.  Again, going to bed earlier every night (nearer 9pm or so most nights now) is a big help. 

Had an excellent oncologist review "between sessions" chemo 4 and 5.  Everything is going according to plan and we are getting things lined up for Part 2 of treatment...a "lighter" chemo dose and daily radiation.  Again, I'm very pleased with the way things are going...the chemo drugs are working and I'm not suffering greatly in any way from the side effects.   I feel blessed that the side effects are not dragging me down and I really enjoy the days I'm feeling great – which is the vast majority of the time.

GAAGO going full belt along with Luther season 2 on DVD.

I'll be definitely playing against the wind in the second half...hopefully I can be done before the sideways rain and sleet hit me.  I'm not suffering too much yet and am eating well, not much more I can do but face each day with a good attitude and continue to enjoy the days I'm feeling good.

Ball Hopper

Hope all the hipsters and gout guys are surviving the winter. 

Let us know how the battles are going.

Sharing helps!!!

BennyCake

Hopefully the second half goes well, BH.

The side effects can't be easy dealing with, but your positive attitude with it all is fantastic.

Best of luck with future sessions and let us know how you're getting on, if you can.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Ball Hopper on February 23, 2020, 07:36:37 PM
Hope all the hipsters and gout guys are surviving the winter. 

Let us know how the battles are going.

Sharing helps!!!
Keep the faith, BH!
Neither hips, gout, epilepsy and God knows what else kept me away from Clones today and won't keep me pinned in next week either if I can help it.
Stay positive at all costs if you can because it positively affects your overall health and I'm talking from personal experience.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tyrdub

Inspirational BH, keep her flat to the mat

Taylor

macdanger2

Fair play BH, good to hear that it's going well

illdecide

Great BH, keep er lit. I'm glad you're doing so well (under the circumstances), keep positive and keep fighting. Everyone on the Board here is singing your praises and fighting your corner.

I'll be 4 weeks this Wednesday from the Hip replacement, down to one crutch now and started the gym again. Done 30 mins on spin bike which after a shaky 5 mins at the start (stiff) surprisingly felt good. However, was stiff and sore afterwards. Back up to gym around lunchtime today for another go at it...enjoying the break away from work TBH but would be better if i was fit and well but at least i've the time off to get myself back into shape (they say round is a shape...lol). Lent diet starts on Wed so should play into my hands for the 1 stone weight loss needed for middle of May (cycling trip to Spain with the lads)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Ball Hopper

Hit the 75% complete mark on Chemo this week by completing chemo 6 from 3-5 March.   Just the two sessions in March (17th and 31st) to go.

Weight loss came in at zero this time round, which is excellent...total weight loss from chemo 2 on 7 Jan is only 8 lbs/3.7 kg.  The feeling that the second half will hit me harder than the first did not really show up this time, thankfully.

White blood cell and platelet counts still close to normal by chemo 6 test, even if at the low end of the normal range.  Glucose levels also nearer normal, if a little high.  It is all balancing out, even if at the edges.  Nurse suggests extra red meat for a platelet surge, so I'll definitely give that a go!

Cold sensitivity was basically absent this round...warmer weather on the first two days helped, plus avoiding touching anything at room temperature even.  Hopefully it will be as manageable for the last two sessions. 

Fatigue was the main side effect this session, afternoon naps till Saturday as the body told me I needed to do so.  Expecting this to increase in March, but the solution is easy...nap time as needed.  Again, going to bed earlier every night (nearer 9pm or so most nights now) is a big help. 

Have oncologist review this coming week where planning for Part 2 will be discussed.  Part 2 comprises a "lighter" chemo dose delivered by pump from Monday morning till Friday afternoon for 5 weeks or so and 5 radiation sessions per week (Monday-Friday) for 28 days.  There will be different side effects for Part 2 that I will detail closer to the start date.  The clinic is only 6 miles away and the radiation sessions are less than a half hour, so it won't be a huge inconvenience.

GAAGO going full belt, but not viewing much else as naps and bedtime take priority.

The wind hasn't appeared in the second half yet...hopefully I can be done before it gets too strong and the sideways rain and sleet hit me.  I'm not suffering too much yet and am eating well, not much more I can do but face each day with a good attitude and continue to enjoy the days I'm feeling good, which are the majority of days.

I'm very surprised and grateful to feel this well as I get ready for number 7 of 8 on St. Patrick's Day.

As always, thanks again for all the support and good wishes.