Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtothewire

Congrats to Down Hurlers on winning promotion from NHL 2B today

johnnycool

Quote from: Downtothewire on October 18, 2020, 10:20:04 PM

First time in a while they've managed to get one over on Derry at this level, so all good for competing against the likes of Offaly and Kerry next year.

A big step up but it's time the hurlers pushed on.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on October 19, 2020, 08:36:05 AM

First time in a while they've managed to get one over on Derry at this level, so all good for competing against the likes of Offaly and Kerry next year.

Agree JC , Great achievement, especially as Down haven't had much underage success recently compared to other times. Interesting to see many of the names on the teamsheet match names of the golden era of the 90s, offspring coming through well. Great to see the success of liatroim and bredagh at underage being translated into county senior team. Do you think this year's SFC timing and structure  Translated into us having a competitive edge on Derry?

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on October 19, 2020, 09:07:05 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 19, 2020, 08:36:05 AM

Agree JC , Great achievement, especially as Down haven't had much underage success recently compared to other times. Interesting to see many of the names on the teamsheet match names of the golden era of the 90s, offspring coming through well. Great to see the success of liatroim and bredagh at underage being translated into county senior team. Do you think this year's SFC timing and structure  Translated into us having a competitive edge on Derry?

SHC you mean?

There's probably something in that as the three Ards clubs and Bredagh were coming of the back of 6 plus competitive games so match sharpness was there, but then again the two Liatroim lads in McCrickard and McManus got SFA competitive hurling in the lead up which isn't good for them either.
One Portaferry lad was drafted straight onto the starting 15 after his championship performances as it should be. A few Bredagh lads also had the chance to show their worth in the club championships and two started with more on the panel.

I think the Derry SHC was straight knockout so that means some of those lads would have only got one or two games, three at a push to the final for S'Neil and Lynches.

Antrim Coaster

Derry SHC was 2 groups of 4 where placings determined who played who. Slaughtneil and Lynches finished top of their group and went into the SHC final. 2nd played 3rd from the opposite group to determine who played Intermediate/Junior. Winners played in the IHC Final and losers played in the JHC Final

Downtothewire

Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 19, 2020, 07:49:17 PM
Derry SHC was 2 groups of 4 where placings determined who played who. Slaughtneil and Lynches finished top of their group and went into the SHC final. 2nd played 3rd from the opposite group to determine who played Intermediate/Junior. Winners played in the IHC Final and losers played in the JHC Final
This format should be used in Down for Senior and Intermediate championships. Junior could be separate championships

johnnycool

Quote from: Downtothewire on October 19, 2020, 10:55:49 PM
Quote from: Antrim Coaster on October 19, 2020, 07:49:17 PM
This format should be used in Down for Senior and Intermediate championships. Junior could be separate championships

I'd like to see some of the scorelines in those round robins before passing comment as much as Bredagh have bridged the gap this year, the previous year Liatroim took a few heavy defeats and there's an even bigger drop off in standard to the next level in club hurling in Down.
Bredagh compete year in year out at the highest level at underage hurling in Down and that's beginning to show at senior level. Liatroim/ O'Rahillies/Castlewellan(I think that's the moniker at U13) dip in and dip out and for every really good team they produce there's nothing then for four or five years.

downjim

A serious question which might create a bit of debate! Hurling is a fantastic sport especially at the top level but for dual clubs is it really hard to balance hurling and football? Does hurling hamper hamper football or vice versa. In terms of SFC Kilcoo, Burren, Ford and the Bridge would be recognised as our most successful clubs, they do not have hurling, Is there a correlation? If Liatroim concentrated at one code where would they be at it? Certainly not in division 3 in football!
Should there not be a Mourne hurling club? Camogie seems very strong in that area.

lfdown2

Quote from: downjim on October 20, 2020, 09:31:15 AM
A serious question which might create a bit of debate! Hurling is a fantastic sport especially at the top level but for dual clubs is it really hard to balance hurling and football? Does hurling hamper hamper football or vice versa. In terms of SFC Kilcoo, Burren, Ford and the Bridge would be recognised as our most successful clubs, they do not have hurling, Is there a correlation? If Liatroim concentrated at one code where would they be at it? Certainly not in division 3 in football!
Should there not be a Mourne hurling club? Camogie seems very strong in that area.

In your opinion, and an opinion I assume based on recent senior football championship roll of honour.

It all depends on your bench mark. I am extremely proud of our ability in the most part to either field or contribute to teams in 4 different codes, as well as provide an outlet for around 40 under 5s in the fundamentals programme each Sunday morning (in the Summer months), and in what we as a club have provided by way of facilities to the local community.

As primarily a football man I would love nothing more than a senior championship win however notwithstanding that I believe I am a member of a very successful club.

downjim

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 20, 2020, 10:56:45 AM

In your opinion, and an opinion I assume based on recent senior football championship roll of honour.

It all depends on your bench mark. I am extremely proud of our ability in the most part to either field or contribute to teams in 4 different codes, as well as provide an outlet for around 40 under 5s in the fundamentals programme each Sunday morning (in the Summer months), and in what we as a club have provided by way of facilities to the local community.

As primarily a football man I would love nothing more than a senior championship win however notwithstanding that I believe I am a member of a very successful club.

As i stated "In terms of SFC Kilcoo, Burren, Ford and the Bridge would be recognised as our most successful clubs", in terms of providing facilities to communities and outlets for underage then I would say that 95% of clubs within our county our very successful. What i want to know do you think is hurling or football hampering your chances being more successful in terms of silverware. Would you sacrifice your hurling team to win a Frank O'Hare cup?

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on October 20, 2020, 11:42:14 AM

As i stated "In terms of SFC Kilcoo, Burren, Ford and the Bridge would be recognised as our most successful clubs", in terms of providing facilities to communities and outlets for underage then I would say that 95% of clubs within our county our very successful. What i want to know do you think is hurling or football hampering your chances being more successful in terms of silverware. Would you sacrifice your hurling team to win a Frank O'Hare cup?

Liatroim have a hurling tradition for as long as I can remember and knowing some of the families involved in Liatroim hurling you'd be a braver man than me to be telling them that Liatroim would be giving up the hurling to concentrate on football.  ;D

FWIW, the first ever adult hurling game I played was against Kilcoo as a 15yo. We also played against Bryansford and RGU in that same year, all now defunct.

lfdown2

Apologies, you did. Also it was not intended to be a antagonistic response however it may read that way.

Would you sacrifice your hurling team to win a Frank O'Hare cup?

No, I wouldn't.

do you think is hurling or football hampering your chances being more successful in terms of silverware

I honestly don't believe that in terms of SFC we would be more successful if we were not a dual club (men) however there is no doubt it is a balancing act at underage, whereby due to playing numbers most age groups have an overlap and as such you may have a player playing 2 age grades and 2 sports, therefore 4 teams. As an U17 management we had our lads for 1hr a week (plus match) and that was after their 45 min/ 1hr of hurling, done in an effort to ensure parents weren't having to travel to the club every night. But I still believe that any excuse around lack of success due to dual status is only that, an excuse.

One for yourself, last year at U16 you had 2 teams entered in the A league I believe, both of whom walked their division - serious amount of talent coming through. While its a nice problem to have, how do you keep those 30-40 lads involved with the club through in to adulthood, and with such success where does the (for want of a better term) mediocre player fit in?

Smurfy123

Down promoted as Longford have conceded
What a mess this division 3 is turning into
Last week and now this
Longford maybe see themselves in a better position next year to gain promotion.
The 2 relegated teams in division 2 next year will automatically go into the B championship
Another league campaign which will be very important

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on October 20, 2020, 12:21:52 PM

Liatroim have a hurling tradition for as long as I can remember and knowing some of the families involved in Liatroim hurling you'd be a braver man than me to be telling them that Liatroim would be giving up the hurling to concentrate on football.  ;D

FWIW, the first ever adult hurling game I played was against Kilcoo as a 15yo. We also played against Bryansford and RGU in that same year, all now defunct.

I would say football has had more of an effect on hurling in the county since the 80/90s than the other way round. Like Johnny I played by first junior hurling games as a 15yo in the mid 90s against Downpatrick, Drumaness and Rostrevor. Even Darragh Cross were an intermediate team then and they've stopped too. You would of had more lads from football only clubs playing a bit of hurling for their neighbours too. As leagues have got more organised, therefore more games, footballers can't commit to play as much. Outside managers have made that worse, play for me only or feck off.

Liatroim have improved over that period as a club even if the footballers find themselves where they are now, they'll not be there too long. I don't think having no hurling in the early 00s would have got them past Mayobridge at the time.

Gaelforce123

I wouldnt say it is turning into a mess but teams are certainly using current circumstances t their advantage. The GAA should have had at least two or three free weeks for postponements, we cant get through a bad spell of weather without postponements never mind a pandemic. However I do believe Longford have been smart (not that I agree with it) but they will see themselves as having a better opportunity for a top 2 finish next year and play in Sam Maguire rather than play division 2 have to avoid relegation to play for Sam.