Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 08:25:07 PM
Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 07:53:06 PM
Quote from: reillycavan on December 09, 2020, 07:47:47 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 06:30:05 PM
Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 04:51:46 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2020, 01:36:58 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Dublin weren't happy with 4 or 5 provincial titles and an All-Ireland every decade.

They actually failed at growing the game, instead they just activated the middle class burbs. Thing is middle class parents, studies have shown, provide better support, emotionally, mentally and financially to their children. They become invested. It means less kids drop away, stay involved longer, creates better players.

Unintended consequences and certainly not the brilliang planning line that keeps getting thrown out. Would love to see an economist examine their success 

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/inner-city-blues-dublins-battle-canals-352946?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

And once the middle classes got onto committees, everything gets better, business smarts to the fore.

The.middle classes saved Dublin GAA.

Even Jack McCarrfey is bored of it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40187469.html

More ignorance regarding the dubs and Jack McCaffrey in particular.

Listen to his podcast with Bernard Brogan and the stress/pressure became too much for him, he wasn't enjoying football anymore and he had to walk away. Doesn't sound like a lad on coming back next year.

Can't be easy dealing with Covid in hospital on a daily basis. Hopefully he does play again as he's a joy to watch football pitch

I wouldn't be getting worked up about that person.  Says hasn't been to a game since 2013 but logs into website to have a rant about Dublin. Obviously has a couple personal issues if has a horn for the dubs. What county is that poster from? Back to topic McCaffrey is a credit to his club and county. Best luck in his retirement.

That person has a name. I haven't been to an intercounty game since 2013. I regularly attend club games. But its kinda nice to have my own stalker.

Still bitter over Seanie? Time to get over it.

Good to know you haven't been to inter county games in the last few years. That way there's no chance I could have been unfortunate and unlucky enough to have met you. If anyone's bitter it's yourself based on your opinion of the dubs and/or McCaffrey

Yea I haven't been since 2013 so there is a good chance we never crossed paths. Since you only started following the game around then.

It's a growing trend, not going to Inter-county matches. The GAA had to invent the Super 8 to make up the shortfall in revenue.

Im getting my buzz from the club game now. More honest.

dublin7

Sean and Bertie,.

Dublin weren't happy with 4 or 5 provincial titles and an All-Ireland every decade.

They actually failed at growing the game, instead they just activated the middle class burbs. Thing is middle class parents, studies have shown, provide better support, emotionally, mentally and financially to their children. They become invested. It means less kids drop away, stay involved longer, creates better players.

Unintended consequences and certainly not the brilliang planning line that keeps getting thrown out. Would love to see an economist examine their success 

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/inner-city-blues-dublins-battle-canals-352946?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=web

And once the middle classes got onto committees, everything gets better, business smarts to the fore.

Listen to his podcast with Bernard Brogan and the stress/pressure became too much for him, he wasn't enjoying football anymore and he had to walk away. Doesn't sound like a lad on coming back next year.

Can't be easy dealing with Covid in hospital on a daily basis. Hopefully he does play again as he's a joy to watch football pitch

I wouldn't be getting worked up about that person.  Says hasn't been to a game since 2013 but logs into website to have a rant about Dublin. Obviously has a couple personal issues if has a horn for the dubs. What county is that poster from? Back to topic McCaffrey is a credit to his club and county. Best luck in his retirement.

That person has a name. I haven't been to an intercounty game since 2013. I regularly attend club games. But its kinda nice to have my own stalker.

Good to know you haven't been to inter county games in the last few years. That way there's no chance I could have been unfortunate and unlucky enough to have met you. If anyone's bitter it's yourself based on your opinion of the dubs and/or McCaffrey

Yea I haven't been since 2013 so there is a good chance we never crossed paths. Since you only started following the game around then.

1st inter county game I was at was in the 90s when Dubs beat Kildare. 20 something years on and that's still the case today. All that bitterness means you're missing out on some great days out. You should join the bandwagon. Sure Kildare is the greater Dublin area at this stage. Even a staunch Mayo man like FTB has joined Team Dublin.

Dinny Breen

No Center of excellence
The hurlers play in a shithole
Failed to grow the game between the canals
The smaller clubs have shit facilities while the bigger clubs get bigger and bigger!

This is the model everyone else has to aspire too?

Amazing how Dublin GAA keep pulling the wool over everyone's eyes.

#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 09:38:19 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

1st inter county game I was at was in the 90s when Dubs beat Kildare. 20 something years on and that's still the case today. All that bitterness means you're missing out on some great days out. You should join the bandwagon. Sure Kildare is the greater Dublin area at this stage. Even a staunch Mayo man like FTB has joined Team Dublin.

No more buying tickets and going to games - that end up funding the enemy. There is no choice left but to watch on the TV and cheer Dublin. The bigger the win the happier I am. Every big win sees another staunch GAA follower walk away. Even Dublin fans are walking away. There is no thrill. Most don't wait for the Delaney Cup to come to the Hill any more.

dublin7

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 09, 2020, 09:41:50 PM
No Center of excellence
The smaller clubs have shit facilities while the bigger clubs get bigger and bigger!

I'm confused. Are you talking about Kildare or Dublin? Dub hurlers play in Parnell Park. That's not a shithole. Now if you're talking about Kildare's ground in Newbridge, then fair enough. That's a shithole.

Very hard to start a new GAA club in any county as players/people already have allegiances to a club. Also whatever about Kildare, but land prices in Dublin makes it virtually impossible for a club to buy the land needed to build clubhouse/pitches.

mup

Sean and Bertie,.

Im not a bit bitter.  Not costing me a cent. No 800k+ round trips. More time on my hands. Much more relaxing.

You come across as a bit of a snowflake when anyone mentions Dublin.  Making up that I was slagging off Jack McCaffrey. Man up a small bit.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 09:52:06 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 09, 2020, 09:41:50 PM
No Center of excellence

I'm confused. Are you talking about Kildare or Dublin? Dub hurlers play in Parnell Park. That's not a shithole. Now if you're talking about Kildare's ground in Newbridge, then fair enough. That's a shithole.

Very hard to start a new GAA club in any county as players/people already have allegiances to a club. Also whatever about Kildare, but land prices in Dublin makes it virtually impossible for a club to buy the land needed to build clubhouse/pitches.

Mate, Parnell Park is a shithole, shit parking, shit facilities.

So excuses.
#newbridgeornowhere

dublin7

Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Im not a bit bitter.  Not costing me a cent. No 800k+ round trips. More time on my hands. Much more relaxing.

You come across as a bit of a snowflake when anyone mentions Dublin.  Making up that I was slagging off Jack McCaffrey. Man up a small bit.
Why would you slag off a lad who does what he does working in a hospital? Now of all times. The mind boggles sometimes.

There's a marvellous invention called google maps or if you're weak with technology I'm sure there are still road maps for sale. If travelling to matches round trip takes you 800k+ No wonder you've so much more spare time.

Eire90

you could say dublin would not have 5 in a row if there was no replay rule

Silkyskillssunshinee

It's actually mental that Dublin can lose the likes of Jack McCaffrey, Diarmuid Connolly, Bernard Brogan, etc and more unbelievable footballers and it has little to no effect. If anything they keep getting stronger.

I'd say Dublin's B team would at least reach an All-Ireland final, and their C team would win Leinster along with probably making an AI semi-final. This isn't once in a generation stuff. If the current structure were to remain the same, Dublin would probably win at least 18 of the next 20 All-Ireland's. The game is dying, if not dead already.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Dublin's B team would probably line out something like this:

Evan Comerford

Philly McMahon; Rory O'Carroll; Eric Lowndes

Andrew McGowan; Cian O'Sullivan; Cian O'Connor

Brian Howard; Michael Dara McCauley

Kevin McManamon, Paul Mannion; Conor McHugh

Cormac Costello; Paddy Andrews; Ciaran Archer

Could that team win an All-Ireland? Serious amount of All-Ireland medals already in that side.

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 09, 2020, 11:56:46 PM
Quote from: mup on December 09, 2020, 10:01:54 PM
Sean and Bertie,.

Why would you slag off a lad who does what he does working in a hospital? Now of all times. The mind boggles sometimes.

There's a marvellous invention called google maps or if you're weak with technology I'm sure there are still road maps for sale. If travelling to matches round trip takes you 800k+ No wonder you've so much more spare time.

Somehow I think your mind might be boggling the whole time.

Yea I know its hard for you to figure how people can travel more than 10 or 15 mins to a game. I see geography is not your strong point. Ask your teachef how big Ireland is.

dublin7

If you're going from Cork to Letterkenny in Donegal that's about an 800km round trip. I must admit I haven't clue how you get to Croke Park and back that it takes you 800km round trip.

Even travelling from Dingle to Dublin and back is only about 650km. Can you put up a Google map of your approximate journey so you can show me where my maths/geography is going wrong?

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on December 10, 2020, 08:57:25 AM
If you're going from Cork to Letterkenny in Donegal that's about an 800km round trip. I must admit I haven't clue how you get to Croke Park and back that it takes you 800km round trip.

Even travelling from Dingle to Dublin and back is only about 650km. Can you put up a Google map of your approximate journey so you can show me where my maths/geography is going wrong?

I live in the south of the country. I have travelled to Derry, Sligo and Antrim to matches. I never mentioned Croke Park - that was you. Not so  smart now are you?

No need to apologise.

Halfquarter

Quote from: dublin7 on December 10, 2020, 08:57:25 AM

When Mick O'Connell played for Kerry they reckoned he had to travel about 250 miles to get to Croke Park, about 400 km , that was before motorways !
A friend of mine lives in Caherdaniel , that's the guts of 400 km from Croker .