Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

@MickFoley76  (Sunday Times journalist)

Quick scan of the sports grants: 64 six figure sums to clubs in Dublin, 31 received 150k - the highest amount. 29 six figure sums went to clubs in the rest of the country, 2 clubs outside Dublin received 150k.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

We got 38.5K, so can't complain. It will allow us astro turf our hurling wall, and do a few other bits and bobs.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Minder on November 30, 2017, 12:46:51 PM
@MickFoley76  (Sunday Times journalist)

Quick scan of the sports grants: 64 six figure sums to clubs in Dublin, 31 received 150k - the highest amount. 29 six figure sums went to clubs in the rest of the country, 2 clubs outside Dublin received 150k.

Feck that stat reads as fairly crazy.

It's hardly as if they are actually buying land, so what's the reason for the discrepancy?
There's hardly that much of a difference in wages and other costs.

Lar Naparka

Here's a piece from Balls.ie dealing with the same subject. Under the heading, Sporting Grants Breakdown Show Massive Weighting Towards Dublin GAA Clubs,it goes into more detail than Foley does. This particular paragraph makes for interesting reading.
According to the latest census, Dublin's population accounts for approx. 28% of Ireland's total, with 38% in the entire Dublin greater area (Including parts of Meath, Kildare, etc.) If the argument is that funding should be in line with population, questions must be asked as to why the funding granted to Dublin is still disproportionate compared to that? To take GAA games development funding of 31 counties per player to Dublin level would need budget increase from €3,138,907 to €90,673,525.40.
Further down this article there's a link to Ewan McKenna's Twitter feed.
Here It's stated that Dublin gets 12.5 the amount of funding for each registered player than Mayo does. When you consider all the other advantages Dublin have over Mayo, how can anyone say that the reason Dublin edged out Mayo in recent AI finals can be put down to the sheer talent of the Dubs' players and that alone?
IMO, there's a serious flow in the line of thought that money must be pumped into Dublin GAA to ensure its survival, even if it means every other county have to go and suck the hind tit where grant aid is concerned.
Intercounty championship competition is the lifeblood of the GAA, always was and always will be.
How can the GAA prosper in Dublin when there soon won't be a single county in the land who could give them a serious challenge? Sure, there will always be the possibility that some county ay catch them on an off day but no other side will be able to do what Mayo is doing at the moment.
Already the signs are ominous with attendances dropping at championship games throughout the country. Why do you think this fecking Super 8 format was devised?
It's there to help make up the shortfall as revenues drops and interest in the competition wanes. This is only a holding tactic, it will postpone the inevitable, not remove it.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

From the Bunker

Did not renew my season ticket this year! Will only go to the convenient Mayo games. GAA at intercounty is in melt down. The Government and the GAA have created a MONSTER called Dublin. The Leinster Championship has not existed now for nearly a decade. The AI is not much better.

The main media continually ignores the MONEY issue with Dublin.

I've learned to go back to the Club scene and enjoy that!

Avondhu star

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 03, 2017, 03:27:36 PM
Did not renew my season ticket this year! Will only go to the convenient Mayo games. GAA at intercounty is in melt down. The Government and the GAA have created a MONSTER called Dublin. The Leinster Championship has not existed now for nearly a decade. The AI is not much better.

A Club scene where county players are rarely seen bar championship games
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

mup

I've been doing that for three years now.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mup on December 03, 2017, 08:50:34 PM

I've been doing that for three years now.

TheGreatest

Funny its the two Mayo lads have a cry, surprised of the wording, gone back to club scene, should have never been away from it.

Rossfan

I see the Leinster club SHC has gone like the Inter County SFC - a  procession for Dublin.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rossfan on December 04, 2017, 11:09:37 AM
I see the Leinster club SHC has gone like the Inter County SFC - a  procession for Dublin.

Split Caula in two, North and South Dalky. Are any team in Dublin allowed win or should they run it by the rest of the country first.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on December 04, 2017, 12:39:02 PM

Split Caula in two, North and South Dalky. Are any team in Dublin allowed win or should they run it by the rest of the country first.

If they did it would be a first, not many decisions are decided outside the Pale. Grants, Super 8, Important Football games.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 04, 2017, 01:00:50 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on December 04, 2017, 12:39:02 PM

If they did it would be a first, not many decisions are decided outside the Pale. Grants, Super 8, Important Football games.

1. You apply for grants, anyone can apply, see non GAA list of clubs. Also party pump politics are at play here too. Show list of rejections.
2. Super 8 , Non Dubs in headquarters make those decisions, the administration are all about money.
3. Important football games, lets play the all Ireland in Castlebar every year to give you a chance.

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 03, 2017, 02:25:55 PM
Here's a piece from Balls.ie dealing with the same subject. Under the heading, Sporting Grants Breakdown Show Massive Weighting Towards Dublin GAA Clubs,it goes into more detail than Foley does.

Key paragraph from that link:

There's no doubt that on an individual basis, the grants to Dublin clubs may well be justified, and it's unlikely there is an actual bias, and it's more down to better lobbying and organisation, and better proposals. There is also the issue of capital expenditure being significantly more expensive in Dublin.

Each club made their own submission. The county the club happened to be in was totally irrelevant.

What is probably shows is that Dublin clubs continue to grow because population continues to increase, so there is more need for improved facilities.