FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 12, 2023, 12:09:50 AM
Not counting challenges

26 games under Kenny now.  Won 5 Drew 7 Lost 14 scored 27 and conceded 30

Martin O'Neill and again not counting challenges.

Played 31  Won 12 Drew 12 Lost 7 scored 38 conceded 27
I think we need an additional way of looking at it which is the level of the average player. You can do this using market value of players.
Currently our average player is worth around 10% of a French player. Under ONeill that would have been more like 15%.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/0911/1404701-kenny-exit-a-question-of-when-not-if-treacy/

We can't control games because we don't have footballers in the middle of the pitch and when we keep the ball, we generally keep it at the back which isn't great for us and when you're passing the ball backwards or sidewards, the other team is shaping their press against you, so you're just essentially playing into a trap," he said.

Itchy

I have had the opportunity, during covid, to attend a number of coaching courses led by the FAI top trainers. There was one abiding memory of them, their unbelievable arrogance that they were cutting edge and actually ahead of continental Europe. They even boasted how they were being requested to attend conferences in France and Germany to share their knowledge. But of course this was all nonsense. They are just copy-cating other countries with their play everything out from the back coaching and of course they are not as good as the other teams and the result is obvious.

I think every country has their own football dna and while I don't think there is a future going back to "hoof ball" I do think we need to look at what has made Ireland competitive in the past, the strengths we possess vrs other countries. Some of that would be around physical strength, aggression, hard work etc. Why not try and develop something unique instead of trying to be the next Spain, something we will definitely fail at.

The problem is the FAI are run by clowns and its hard to see them actually think about anything.

ps. As an aside, my son plays on a development squad with a league of ireland club. Every training and match they roll the ball out from keeper to ctr back and try work it up the field. They've been doing this for years in the development squads. 2 weeks ago I went to watch the Senior team for the 1st time in probably 2 years in the league of Ireland premier league. Every kickout by both teams blasted the length of the pitch. The theory is great but when you have to be pragmatic and need to win, well thats a different thing.

Captain Scarlet

There's more than one way to play. Brentford don't lash it up but also don't try to play out against certain opposition.
They get results against better teams and are not afraid to play the channels, etc

Also, was Kenny not a 433 man at underage so his principles can change if needs be. He might look at matching his players and style a bit more

People who support his project have to have a point where results scream for a change.
That change can be from Kenny or externally by getting rid.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

weareros

There's a few ways in which Irish teams have traditionally scored.
Great strikes from distance. John Giles, Paul McGrath often scored these type of goals.
Headers from a great cross. Frank Stapelton, John Aldridge, Quinn, Cascarino were there for those type of goals.
Ball breaking from a long ball. Niall Quinn against the Dutch in 90, Robbie Keane against Germany 2002.
Fortunately we have Evan Ferguson emerging who is both a great striker and header of the ball.
The above styles should be built around him. I wasn't clear how we were supposed to score against the Dutch. The goalie was nervy but apart from corners, was not tested with a shot outside the box or with a good cross. Even if there was a good cross, there's no one there to get on the end of them. Idah and Ogbene are not those players. So this Ireland team is left passing the ball where teams allow them to pass the ball. That included allowing Doherty and Ogbene to try some intricate passes out by the right wing sideline, where there was no space, and where at best, we got a corner, but mostly they just ended going out for throw balls which we then lost.

An Watcher

I'm hearing a few names including Chris Hughton n Lee Carsley.  Would take either tbh

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: An Watcher on September 13, 2023, 06:50:25 AM
I'm hearing a few names including Chris Hughton n Lee Carsley.  Would take either tbh

is there not talk Carsley been ear marked for the England senior job? couldn't see him taking the irealand job if there's even remotely a chance of getting England job

Joeythelips

Jesus neither of those are whats needed. Kenny has not got the results and does not have the best of squads at his disposal (one of the main reasons he got the job if we are honest) but to give him his due he is trying to get us to play a certain brand of football.

I think the FAI should go looking for a similar coach to continue this but someone who has done it at a higher level, i.e Seria A, La Liga, Premier League or even the Championship. So someone who had to work with a limited player base and got them to play these style of football but got results. For example Graham Potter took over from Hughton at Brighton who were long ball merchants and changed them into proper passing/possession side on a limited budget very quickly. Im not saying we would be able to get Potter (although he is currently out of work) but someone like that. For example Bournemouth got a new manager called Iraola who earned a good reputation for the job he did at Rayo Vallacano with a limited bunch on a small budget but again got them playing attacking football and even beat some of the big boys.

We should at least try and get managers who have some modicum of success behind them at playing this way, then you could put Kenny in charge of the underage set up to try and ensure we have a conveyor belt of players coming through who are used to this style.

jcpen

This is one of my 3 usernames.

NAG1

Quote from: jcpen on September 13, 2023, 09:53:13 AM
Give it to Jim Gavin or Brian Cody.
More chance of either of these two getting it than some of the fanciful stuff mentioned above.

Looks across the international scene and the manager any country is attracting. Not exactly the cream of the crop compared to the club game. Then take Ireland's current squad into account and this adds a further layer of realism as to who it would be actually attractive too.

Ed Ricketts

I'm not sure how oblivious some are to the financial realities of the situation, but it is beyond mental to suggest that the FAI could compete with top tier English, Italian or Spanish clubs for the services of successful, up-and-coming managers. And it's even more absurd to think such managers would want to sidetrack their careers with a stint in charge of a mid-to-lower tier international team.

Someone like Carsley is the best we can hope for, and it's very doubtful that he'd even be interested. He's not getting the senior England job - they'll go big on that when they ditch Southgate. But a Championship club will take a punt on him eventually, which would probably be a better career move than the Ireland job.

The alternatives to Kenny are depressing - auld fellas so far behind the times that the club scene has forgotten about them. Or another LOI graduate like Damien Duff.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

naka

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 13, 2023, 10:31:13 AM
I'm not sure how oblivious some are to the financial realities of the situation, but it is beyond mental to suggest that the FAI could compete with top tier English, Italian or Spanish clubs for the services of successful, up-and-coming managers. And it's even more absurd to think such managers would want to sidetrack their careers with a stint in charge of a mid-to-lower tier international team.

Someone like Carsley is the best we can hope for, and it's very doubtful that he'd even be interested. He's not getting the senior England job - they'll go big on that when they ditch Southgate. But a Championship club will take a punt on him eventually, which would probably be a better career move than the Ireland job.

The alternatives to Kenny are depressing - auld fellas so far behind the times that the club scene has forgotten about them. Or another LOI graduate like Damien Duff.
would take the england u21 manager

Joeythelips

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on September 13, 2023, 10:31:13 AM

I mentioned Andoni Iraola and Graham Potter. Brighton picked Potter from Swansea who had got him from Östersund in the Swedish league. Iraola was with midtable Rayo Vallacano in La Liga and is now manager of those giants of football Bournemouth. The point Im making is the type of manager could be out there with a bit of scouting but we look at ex players who have done very little.

Ed Ricketts

Bournemouth, Vallacano and Swansea all pay better than the FAI. And there's also no chance the FAI have the cash to buy anyone out of an existing contract.

International jobs are a hard sell to any manager on the up. They're even harder to sell when the international team is a bit shit. And harder again when the shit international team has no money.

Kenny's replacement will not be someone with a red hot, recent track record. It'll be some dinosaur who did things in the 90s but can't get a look in at a club gig anymore, or Kenny 2.0 in the shape of Duff or Keith Andrews.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

tiempo

Surely Robbie Keane could source one with his involvement in UEFA council of wise men