FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: weareros on September 10, 2023, 09:04:13 PM
That goal was coming with way Dutch started second half.

Not making yourself hard to score against when you are allowing Weghorst to score.  Could have done with Evan Ferguson tonight especially in the 1st half.

From the Bunker

You look at a Country like Netherlands - their Academies, their clubs, their culture.

How does a Country like Ireland compete with that?

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2023, 09:29:29 PM
You look at a Country like Netherlands - their Academies, their clubs, their culture.

How does a Country like Ireland compete with that?

We've competed with them well in the past.

imtommygunn

weareros

Awful shite in 2nd half. Apart from Dutch mistakes and corners, I don't think we even created one chance in that whole game.

seafoid

The Dutch controlled the second half.

It reminds me of when Ger Loughnane was managing the Galway hurlers. We might end up with 6 points.
The absence of Ferguson was highly significant.

Itchy

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2023, 09:43:02 PM
Have we? The very odd time maybe.

You could even argue we competed with them tonight but we lost. But we lack quality and I'm afraid we lack a manager with pragmatic approach. Surely the end of Kenny now

screenexile

Blowitupref

Have to agree with the fellas in the RTE studio, the only chance of playing in another major tournament in the foreseeable future is to host it.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

You'd feel sorry for Kenny in this interview, he's well shook. I think time to put him out of his misery.

From the Bunker

That was an awful performance again this evening.

Its time to get rid of Ronnie Whelan on co-commentary

Captain Scarlet

Young Duffy and McClean started again for the progressive boss bringing through young lads...
Like how can these lines keep being trotted out. It's clearly not the case. Again we were not going to beat them and lads are praising a high press...with Duffy and Egan at the back. That makes no sense and you end up with gaps that decent teams exploit.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

AustinPowers

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2023, 10:24:02 PM

Ronnie was  right with one  thing though. Throw big men  up with 5 minutes to go.  What have you to lose? It'll leave  holes at the back yes, but a   defeat by 1 goal or 2 goals  is still a defeat

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: AustinPowers on September 10, 2023, 11:28:32 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 10, 2023, 10:24:02 PM

Ronnie was  right with one  thing though. Throw big men  up with 5 minutes to go.  What have you to lose? It'll leave  holes at the back yes, but a   defeat by 1 goal or 2 goals  is still a defeat

Ronnie started on about throwing Duffy up front from the 65th minute. Mad shite.

He also whinges about things constantly. Never very much insight or wisdom, just a whole lot of crying and moaning. The football is miserable enough without listening to that for 90 mins. And then cheery Richie picks up the baton back in the studio. f**k, RTE is grim.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Ed Ricketts

Looks like that's that for qualification. Were never qualifying automatically out of that group, but it looks like the playoff route is shot now too. Some bad results elsewhere the last few nights mean that too many of the teams ranked higher than us as per the 22/23 Nations League are now likely to need playoff spots - bumping Ireland out of the picture. Not that they would make it through the playoffs anyway.

I'd say that's Kenny done now too. But they'll probably hold onto him for the last few groups games before letting the contract expire. No games of note for about 10 months from November, so maybe an opportunity for the FAI to leave the post vacant for a bit and save a few euro.

I'm generally supportive of what Kenny tried to do, possession football is the only show in town these days. But it's also abundantly clear that he wasn't the man to front such a revolution. He didn't seem to have the charisma nor vitality to really drive the thing on. Instead, he was on the back foot from early on, and always came across very mopey and defensive. We might have lived with the gutsy defeats to France, Portugal, etc. if the same energy displayed in those games had have been on show against Armenia, Luxembourg, Greece - those dreadfully flat performances were Kenny's biggest failure.

The next man in might profit from some of the groundwork in the last few years. I'd be hopeful that things will improve. There has been a significant uptick in underage results in recent years - so more decent players will break through. Andrew Moran seems to be the next great white hope. A couple of semi-competent central midfielders would make a world of difference to the side.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.