FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 17, 2023, 02:12:50 PM
Nine wins in 33 games under Stephen Kenny.

Competition games
Azerbaijan
Luxembourg
Scotland
Armenia

Friendlies:
Malta
Latvia
Lithuania
Qatar
Andorra
It's a continuation of previous form which has been very poor since 2017 and is reflected in the FIFA ranking

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Gael80 on June 17, 2023, 02:47:17 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 17, 2023, 09:36:59 AM
Think it's the end of the road for Kenny, that was a massive game and he failed miserabley. I am still an advocate of trying to play football as there's no future in hoofball but the truth is the team is a disorganised mess.

I've my doubts SK will be in charge by 2028 but I think Euro 28 is the FAI's priority. Last night was a tough away game not helped by the June schedule..

Results have not been great under SK however it requires a longer term plan to improve Irish soccer. SK's remit is to develop a pathway into the senior team by linking the different levels together. Players he has brought through will be internationals for the next ten years and I still think Irish soccer will eventually improve because of the work taking place now.

Agreed. Kenny lives here and does 60 hour weeks, which previous holders of the job did not. But is he the only manager capable of doing the overseeing part?

But losing by one in Athens shouldn't lead to sacking talk

seafoid

Itchy

Reports Lee Carsley being lined up which would be a good move I think.

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/06/17/gus-poyet-unsparing-in-assessment-of-ireland-after-greece-win-tactical-battle/

Converted full back Callum O'Dowda was also targeted with the Cardiff City winger at fault for the Greece goals in the 2-1 defeat that heaps pressure on Kenny to remain at the helm for a possible March 2024 playoff to qualify for Germany 2024.
"We prepared under [Ireland operating] their two main systems, 5-4-1 and 5-3-2," said Poyet. "We had the suspicion that it would be two strikers so we put a lot of emphasis on the size and the full backs, how to drag them one way and switch to the other side, to be able to attack.

"It sounds very easy but you have to do it in the game. Plenty of times in the first half we had our full backs arriving in areas to put the Republic of Ireland back."
The Uruguayan even foresaw Kenny's formational switch at half-time when Idah was hauled off before O'Dowda and Smallbone also made way on 53 minutes.
Learn more

"I am sure the gaffer [Kenny] saw that and tried to change a striker with a midfielder and tried to stop us and we were put under a bit of pressure but then they got weaker in the middle and we pressed through the middle to be able to play wide," Poyet continued.
"This team understands all this quickly and I am happily surprised because in a club training every day that can take you six or seven months, and here we trained four or five days and we are able to have the players to embrace it."
When asked to describe the Irish style of play under Kenny as a 'classic British way' or 'possession-based' or a constant state of flux, the former Chelsea midfielder leaned into option three.
"I understand that situation because when we were analysing the Republic of Ireland we had the impression that you were really playing football with the ball on the floor, playing through the thirds, going wide, putting players in the box and I was happy because of the way that you played.
"And then there were other games where depending on the result you become the Republic of Ireland, with all due respect. You depend on a corner, you depend on a long ball, you depend on fighting for second and third balls.
"But it's tough boys, it's tough. I remember many games with the national team where I was on the pitch thinking 'how are we going to win this?' And I don't know how they feel, but that succession of corners at the beginning of the game – five, six, seven, eight – you are playing away from home and you need to win and the ball is coming, coming, coming and it is corner after corner. How do you get out of that?
"If you have three points, or six points and have that bit more confidence it is a little bit easier. When you must win and there is a little bit of tension because you cannot concede, it is tough.
"You need a group who has been playing I don't know how many years.
"It is difficult, I have been in that situation and it is not for everyone."

Captain Scarlet

That's very open from Poyet. But they had our number and as pointed have decent players.
Now we play Gibraltar who are ranked way below us, we surely demand a win while dominating the ball.
There can be no excuses for this one.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 18, 2023, 01:16:35 PM
That's very open from Poyet. But they had our number and as pointed have decent players.
Now we play Gibraltar who are ranked way below us, we surely demand a win while dominating the ball.
There can be no excuses for this one.
I think what it means is that 3 points at home versus Greece are by no means guaranteed

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:41:49 AM

Underage only, no experience managing senior teams, would he move to Dublin?

He is better than most names being touted but a huge box of risk too

thewobbler

Step back and think about this.

One of the most mediocre wingers in Ireland's history is about to hit the 100 cap mark.

That a series of managers have had to rely on McClean should be indication enough that Ireland aren't underachieving these days, and that the manager isn't the issue.

AustinPowers

Quote from: thewobbler on June 19, 2023, 01:22:12 PM

One of the most mediocre wingers in Ireland's history is about to hit the 100 cap mark.

That a series of managers have had to rely on McClean should be indication enough that Ireland aren't underachieving these days, and that the manager isn't the issue.

Well , think  about this then ....... Aidan mc geady  got 93 caps.  Yup, you read that right,  ninety three. That is more  than Paul McGrath,  Niall Quinn, Packie  Liam Brady or Roy Keane

Mc clean  at least gets stuck in . Reckless at times , but  I'd have him in the  team ahead of mcgeady  any day. And  ahead of a  lot of those other players  around now

seafoid

In a four-year span from 1968 to 1971, the Republic of Ireland failed to win a single match, competitive or otherwise.
Now is only marginally better

Cavan19

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 19, 2023, 12:43:47 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 18, 2023, 09:41:49 AM

Underage only, no experience managing senior teams, would he move to Dublin?

He is better than most names being touted but a huge box of risk too

Why would he need to move to Dublin?

Saffron_sam20

Quote from: AustinPowers on June 19, 2023, 01:32:41 PM

Well , think  about this then ....... Aidan mc geady  got 93 caps.  Yup, you read that right,  ninety three. That is more  than Paul McGrath,  Niall Quinn, Packie  Liam Brady or Roy Keane

Mc clean  at least gets stuck in . Reckless at times , but  I'd have him in the  team ahead of mcgeady  any day. And  ahead of a  lot of those other players  around now

McGeady was a far far better player than McClean would ever be, not even close