Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Ireland's GAA stars routinely beat Australia's AFL stars

Not in Aussie Rules....

I stand by my point. Kevin Moran, Seamus Coleman and scores of others went abroad with a GAA background and made the top level. GAA lads are going to Aus and making the top level. The Dubs would punish the Lux'burgers, to suggest otherwise is silly

Moran played LoI before he lined out for the Dubs. Using your logic LoI players would boss football..

Coleman was always a soccer player who played some GAA. I can't think of any player who jumped from the GAA to professional football.

Its absolute nonsense to suggest lads who have never played a sport could just pick it up and beat a bunch of pros. Then add in the amateur v professional fitness levels and thats another layer. Offensive nonsense.

It's offensive to lose to a load of bin men and posties from Luxembourg tbh. Absolutely no doubt Dean Rock would rattle off a load of shots at the so called onion bag and Con would rip their midfield a new one.

And yes why wouldn't they be competitive at the rugby World Cup against Canada? Nothing to fear from a few off season ice road truckers

Because they don't play rugby you dimwit.

Where is this binmen noise coming from? They have players in the top flight in Germany, Belgium, France, Holland,Austria, the US, Ukraine and 2nd tier in England.

Give over.

Aye and neither did Marty Clarke play AFL.

You seem to have a major horn for Luxemburgers. Are you Azerbaijani in disguise?

Marty Clark spent 18 months at a feeder club learning the game. He didn't just rock up.

I'm questioning your bizarre suggestion that even playing at Luxembourg's level isn't an achievement

J70

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 09:08:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 07, 2021, 04:27:39 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 03:50:30 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 02:14:38 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 07, 2021, 12:29:17 PM
Quote from: tiempo on September 07, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
Genuine question

Would the 11 of the peak Dublin all conquering 6 IAR team beat the Luxemburgers at Lansdowne?

I say yes

Would a team of amateur players in a different sport beat full time pros in another? Are you for real?

Ireland's GAA stars routinely beat Australia's AFL stars

Not in Aussie Rules....

I stand by my point. Kevin Moran, Seamus Coleman and scores of others went abroad with a GAA background and made the top level. GAA lads are going to Aus and making the top level. The Dubs would punish the Lux'burgers, to suggest otherwise is silly

Luxembourg have a number of players who play in the top two divisions in England, Germany, France, Holland and so on.

How many of the Dublin squad were ever courted by professional soccer teams underage?

Have any turned out at League of Ireland level?

I don't think modern football or the professionalisation of the LoI would allow dual players, but I can't think of any who really stood out. Mick Deegan was a solid IL player. Jayo maybe. Tohill couldn't cut it. Chin choked at the training levels at Wexford.

It's absolutely insane to think there are Dublin players who could earn 3k a week playing soccer but chose not to.

At least in Donegal, county players used to spend their winters playing soccer all the time, but as you say, I doubt if it happens any more. They have to choose. Mark Anthony McGinley is playing for Finn Harps now after two seasons in nets for Donegal, but I'm sure the recruitment of Shane Patton, who came FROM the LOI, had some influence on his decision in addition to the pay packet.

The last dual-player as such that I can remember to make a mark at LOI level was Brendan Devenney, who played for Harps and some teams in the Irish League. But even then, you didn't have the likes of Shelbourne, top dogs at the time, busting down his door. Before him, Declan Bonner and Brian McEniff (under an assumed name!) played some LOI. Declan Boyle played a wee bit for Donegal in the early 90s, but he was a soccer player first, and ended up at Celtic before he came back to Derry City and Harps.

Cobra

Ireland should play like they are a bundle of Gaelic footballers. Might win a bit more.

Itchy

I think soccer and Football work well as sports together, well at least with kids. It's a pity soccer development squads in my part of world insist on kids signing contracts which stop them playing other sports, pure stupid stuff.
Rugby us the one to avoid, skill less neanderthal stuff that teaches a footballer to run into people and kick everything off the laces.

seafoid

Some context

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1162139/
"Wolves accepted a bid understood to be £15m(€16.8m), which would make Doherty the third most expensive Irish signing of all time after Robbie Keane (£19m to Liverpool in 2008) and Damien Duff (£17m to Chelsea in 2003)."

Given EPL transfer value inflation Duffer's 03 17m might convert to 50m.in 2021 bubble terms.
Duffer played 30 times in a premiership winning team

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004%E2%80%9305_Chelsea_F.C._season

He was quality.
We don't have that sort of quality at the moment.

An té nsch bhfuil láidir caithfidh sé bheith glic

seafoid

Aguisín

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-fight-back-to-earn-a-late-draw-against-serbia-1.4667810?mode=ampOnly

Brexit blocking Irish teenagers from moving to British clubs until they turn 18 has "irrevocably altered the dynamics for the pathway of young Irish players."

An Watcher

Could be a blessing in disguise.  More opportunities to get first team experience in Europe

Itchy

It's great to see tv3 or whatever they are called these days showing the England game tonight so all the plastic paddies can see their favourite players in action and not be too down after useless Ireland only drew.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on September 08, 2021, 09:38:05 PM
It's great to see tv3 or whatever they are called these days showing the England game tonight so all the plastic paddies can see their favourite players in action and not be too down after useless Ireland only drew.

It's great alright. Would rather watch England v Poland than some makey-up home improvement show. Just because one wants to watch a game involving England does not put their National pride into question.

imtommygunn

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2021, 07:58:17 PM
Aguisín

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-fight-back-to-earn-a-late-draw-against-serbia-1.4667810?mode=ampOnly

Brexit blocking Irish teenagers from moving to British clubs until they turn 18 has "irrevocably altered the dynamics for the pathway of young Irish players."

Probably for the better. I see youngfellas from the Rovers acadamy moved to Roma and Inter. Even if they flop they come back with a language. If they go to Germany college is mandatory.

Problem is outside of Dublin, Cork and Derry the acadamy options are non existent. And Derry technically can't fish in Donegal anymore

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-players-put-trust-in-stephen-kenny-as-green-shoots-emerge-1.4668572 

A settled team is emerging. Bazunu, John Egan and Shane Duffy played all 270 minutes and injury time over the six days, while Matt Doherty (260), Josh Cullen (244), James McClean (198) and Idah's highly efficient 259 minutes cannot go unheralded. 

"We really believe in what [the management] are doing," said Doherty. "The coaching we get from Anthony Barry, who is at Chelsea, and Keith Andrews is top class. If [only] people were in there seeing the type of coaching and game plans we are putting together and how they've worked in certain games against some of the best players in the world." 

Brian Kerr, over on Virgin Media, branded this reporting as "pub talk among journalists" before suggesting that some of the new FAI board would not know if a football is "pumped or stuffed" 

"I see Andrew going all the way to the top and I've probably been afraid to say that out loud," Molloy added. "I think he is different to what we have had before. He's a modern centre half who can play through the thirds. [Virgil] Van Dijk has made it all sexy now, hasn't he?" 

seafoid

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 09, 2021, 12:53:32 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2021, 07:58:17 PM
Aguisín

Probably for the better. I see youngfellas from the Rovers acadamy moved to Roma and Inter. Even if they flop they come back with a language. If they go to Germany college is mandatory.

Problem is outside of Dublin, Cork and Derry the acadamy options are non existent. And Derry technically can't fish in Donegal anymore
Languages are a national weakness.

Itchy

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 08, 2021, 09:55:29 PM

It's great alright. Would rather watch England v Poland than some makey-up home improvement show. Just because one wants to watch a game involving England does not put their National pride into question.

Isn't that what I said, it's great for ye.

Cobra

You should have written that post as Gaeilge