FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2020, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: mouview on November 16, 2020, 04:00:31 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on November 16, 2020, 08:29:53 AM
I used to love watching Ireland games, this week I watched the first 20 mins of the England game and actually watched none of last nights game. up to the end of MONs time id have never missed a game. the 1 thing I want out of an Ireland team is to be competitive, we aren't at all. Stephen Kenny wants to play a brand of football that he doesn't have the players for, its a cliche saying but you play the hand you're dealt. get a system in place and stick to it. for all his faults that's what Mick McCarthy done at every team he was at, if he had limited players he built the founds on hard work and dogged defending, get the ball into the opposition half then try work off knock Downs 2nd balls. not the prettiest but effective enough. I think Kenny will get the chance of qualification although in my opinion he's not the man, if he gets us to the WC then il gladly eat humble pie because well be in a major tournament. Throwing it out there, the next Ireland manager should be Sam Allardyce, gets a tune out of every squad he goes into with limited players. he's a perfect fit for our job I think

What gruesome form of self-flagellation is this?

I dont like watching Kennys teams lose trying to play football so lets get big sam in to do some route one football. If that is your cup of tea go and watch some 2nd Tier league of Ireland maybe?

There is no long ball in the LoI. Thats kinda the point.

Ed Ricketts

Who do those pining for the long ball days see playing centre forward in this set-up?

Luton Town journeyman James Collins and his five caps?
5 foot 7 Sean Maguire with his one international goal?
18 year old Troy Parrot on the back of a two month lay-off?
What age is Niall Quinn? Could probably still lump balls up at his big head. Allardyce would know how to make that work.

Perhaps it seems that we 'don't have the players' to play that sort of shite either now.

Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 17, 2020, 02:21:43 PM
Who do those pining for the long ball days see playing centre forward in this set-up?

What age is Niall Quinn? Could probably still lump balls up at his big head. Allardyce would know how to make that work.

Perhaps it seems that we 'don't have the players' to play that sort of shite either now.

As Keith Duffy scores most of Ireland's goals (usually from headers) anyway, throw him up front.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2020, 03:07:23 PM

As Keith Duffy scores most of Ireland's goals (usually from headers) anyway, throw him up front.

Is there a punchline to this? Or is that the joke, they have the same surname? I mean, you could at least try to crowbar in a Boyzone pun or something. 2/10.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

themac_23

I used to love watching Ireland games, this week I watched the first 20 mins of the England game and actually watched none of last nights game. up to the end of MONs time id have never missed a game. the 1 thing I want out of an Ireland team is to be competitive, we aren't at all. Stephen Kenny wants to play a brand of football that he doesn't have the players for, its a cliche saying but you play the hand you're dealt. get a system in place and stick to it. for all his faults that's what Mick McCarthy done at every team he was at, if he had limited players he built the founds on hard work and dogged defending, get the ball into the opposition half then try work off knock Downs 2nd balls. not the prettiest but effective enough. I think Kenny will get the chance of qualification although in my opinion he's not the man, if he gets us to the WC then il gladly eat humble pie because well be in a major tournament. Throwing it out there, the next Ireland manager should be Sam Allardyce, gets a tune out of every squad he goes into with limited players. he's a perfect fit for our job I think

I dont like watching Kennys teams lose trying to play football so lets get big sam in to do some route one football. If that is your cup of tea go and watch some 2nd Tier league of Ireland maybe?

Theres a myth about the whole 'route one' if your players aren't great get the ball into a position in the pitch where if/when they lose it the team is not exposed. if you play out from the back short kick outs etc then you are inviting pressure, irelands players aren't good enough on the ball to draw teams out and play through them and quite often give the ball away so the other team is on us but instead of them having to build from inside their own half they are already in ours.

get the ball forward early hitting the space and or centre forward and work from there. the best at doing it is probably Burnley, they are great at it, getting the ball quickly doesn't mean playing for territory it means getting the ball into an area where you can do damage and hurt the opposition, with all due respect to our players they are never gonna hurt anyone by keeping the ball round the back/midfield.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: themac_23 on November 17, 2020, 03:33:48 PM

Theres a myth about the whole 'route one' if your players aren't great get the ball into a position in the pitch where if/when they lose it the team is not exposed. if you play out from the back short kick outs etc then you are inviting pressure, irelands players aren't good enough on the ball to draw teams out and play through them and quite often give the ball away so the other team is on us but instead of them having to build from inside their own half they are already in ours.

get the ball forward early hitting the space and or centre forward and work from there. the best at doing it is probably Burnley, they are great at it, getting the ball quickly doesn't mean playing for territory it means getting the ball into an area where you can do damage and hurt the opposition, with all due respect to our players they are never gonna hurt anyone by keeping the ball round the back/midfield.

Burnley have Chris Wood and Ashley Barnes to hold the ball up for them. Who have we got to play this role?

For the slow learners - there's a reason the long ball football stopped working over the last three or four years: we don't have the players for it!

Walters retired, Long got old, McGoldrick tried for a bit - but it was a dying philosophy long before Kenny took over.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 17, 2020, 03:21:09 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 17, 2020, 03:07:23 PM

Is there a punchline to this? Or is that the joke, they have the same surname? I mean, you could at least try to crowbar in a Boyzone pun or something. 2/10.

Couldn't recall his first name. No matter what, he's Keith from now on!  ;D

I don't know any Boyzone songs.

Itchy

Quote from: themac_23 on November 17, 2020, 03:33:48 PM

So you want Martin O Neill or Mick McCarthy back? And tell me how do these innovative tactics work against team of lower ability than Ireland that drop off and let you have the ball. Its dinosaur football and by the way who is your target man for this tactic?

An Watcher

I was never a critic of long ball football as it served us well over the years. Big Quinn or Cascarino knocking it down to Keane or whoever served us well over the years and we took some great scalps but time has moved on.
A few years ago we got an odd great result but really struggled against the lesser lights who are improving all the time. We need to sacrifice our up and at them attitude for keeping the ball and creating chances. It will take a while but its time for change and I'm willing to give Kenny his opportunity.
I'd like to think we will develop in the future and now and again we can use or aggression and passion.

Captain Obvious

Whatever the tactics they need changing from the last 7 matches. No excuses not to be scoring and getting a result against very average Bulgaria tomorrow.

Itchy

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 17, 2020, 08:05:49 PM
Whatever the tactics they need changing from the last 7 matches. No excuses not to be scoring and getting a result against very average Bulgaria tomorrow.

Maybe you can explain to me why we should be so superior to Bulgaria tomorrow. We are playing a B team due all sorts of stuff yet you expect a result, based on what exactly? We dont have Robbie Keane or Quinn or Roy Keane etc anymore. We have what we have. Yes, with a full team we should be beating Bulgaria. I think we will do well to beat them tomorrow but I hope Stephen Kenny gets a break that he is due cos there are some amount of plastic paddys and coach potato English soccer team fans out there calling for his head that know absolutely nothing about the game.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2020, 08:51:12 PM

Maybe you can explain to me why we should be so superior to Bulgaria tomorrow. We are playing a B team due all sorts of stuff yet you expect a result, based on what exactly? We dont have Robbie Keane or Quinn or Roy Keane etc anymore. We have what we have. Yes, with a full team we should be beating Bulgaria. I think we will do well to beat them tomorrow but I hope Stephen Kenny gets a break that he is due cos there are some amount of plastic paddys and coach potato English soccer team fans out there calling for his head that know absolutely nothing about the game.

I said result not beat. By avoiding defeat at home would mean Bulgaria finish bottom of this nations league table. One goal might be enough to at least draw against a Bulgaria side that has won one match all year and that was against the might of Gibraltar.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2020, 08:51:12 PM

Because the apparent dinosaur McCarthy sent out his second string against Bulgaria and beat them 3-0. Of course under Kenny we will be hoping for 0-0 as a best case scenario

Capt Pat

These nations league games are really not important. Germany are showing how highly they rate these nations league games, losing 6-0 to Spain.

In Kennys one game that counted they drew 0-0 away to Slovakia, not too bad. The world cup qualifiers will tell a tale.

Jeepers Creepers

I seen someone scoring in training on the news tonight!