FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: thewobbler on November 12, 2017, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on November 12, 2017, 03:39:54 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 12, 2017, 03:38:37 PM
Because they're a mediocre bunch of footballers who have been coached into playing a system that has no room for continuity, flair or intuition. Which means that when they go a goal down va a better side, they simply don't have the belief or experience to make a game of it.

The World Cup will bea horror show if we get there
I think you're intentionally avoiding my question. What's the difference between Ireland and Iceland with regards to progressing at the world cup? My point is that we can be coached to achieve better than you're suggesting.

Jesus I'm not avoiding the point.

Iceland are a limited side who've worked out if they counter attack with intent, they can spoil and beat better teams.

Ireland have absolutely no game plan / tactics for counter attacking. They just boot the ball away. It's kot possession football, it's not territory football, it's shot football.
From what I've seen, Iceland are anything but a limited team, they have deservedly topped their qual group, have beaten Turkey, Croatia and Ukraine at home and hammered Turkey away in a crunch group decider. That's not the stuff of a limited team, that's the stuff of an excellent team who have emerged from limited circumstances.  Iceland play as a team of players who know each other inside out, they play (mostly)  a sophisticated flexible  442, which can only be achieved with every player in a disciplined manner understanding their role and their fellow players. That's football intelligence in action.
I'd share most people's turn off with Ireland's utter inability to posses the ball.
However, for these play offs it's 100% about the result and O'Neill  succeeded in neutralising  Denmark to the extent of them only having 3  or so shots on goal. The cliche applies, it's only half time.

Cunny Funt

Italy who Ireland wanted to avoid the most could be knocked out by Sweden tonight.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2017, 08:37:34 PM
Italy who Ireland wanted to avoid the most could be knocked out by Sweden tonight.

No score at half time. If the Swedes score one Italy will need three in the second half.

TheOptimist

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 13, 2017, 08:40:15 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2017, 08:37:34 PM

No score at half time. If the Swedes score one Italy will need three in the second half.

Italy have 73% possession. Sweden are learning from us  :)

Cunny Funt

laoislad

I said before the playoff draw that I wouldn't mind if Ireland had drew Italy.
Thought they were shocking tonight. Never looked liked scoring.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

SHEEDY

Always liked italy ever since paolo rossi in 82, wont be the same without them.
nil satis nisi optimum

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 13, 2017, 09:41:49 PM
A World cup without Italy!

Good and the more world cups where the likes of italy and holland dont go then the sooner fifa realise their folly of giving all the extra spots in expanded tournaments to pub teams from asia, africa and central america. No-one cared when a good croatia ukraine or even ireland didnt qualify in the past but muck like saudi arabia, algeria honduras north korea etc did. Watch how quickly qualifying changes if ever germany, france or spain feck it up.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 13, 2017, 09:53:26 PM

Good and the more world cups where the likes of italy and holland dont go then the sooner fifa realise their folly of giving all the extra spots in expanded tournaments to pub teams from asia, africa and central america. No-one cared when a good croatia ukraine or even ireland didnt qualify in the past but muck like saudi arabia, algeria honduras north korea etc did. Watch how quickly qualifying changes if ever germany, france or spain feck it up.

Not sure if FIFA give a toss to be honest, growth of the game in those countries etc. I won't know who to shout for when Ireland go out now Italy and the Netherlands are out.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AZOffaly

I think Italy are soccer royalty in a way France or Spain are not actually, so this result would have shaken things up anyway I think, if they hadn't already decided to go to 40 or whatever it is next time around. I'm gutted Italy won't be there. They are never the most exciting to watch, but they ooze class, and filth in equal measure. Also Buffon is my favourite soccer player i think. He genuinely acts like a really nice guy.

Plus the anthem, the jerseys, Goalazzzo. Shit I'm disappointed Sweden will be there instead of them.

Boycey

Quote from: SHEEDY on November 13, 2017, 09:50:54 PM
Always liked italy ever since paolo rossi in 82, wont be the same without them.

And this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UdgoeIevhY

I'll miss them too..

Targetman

There will be some shite matches at this next World Cup, hope Ireland are involved in a few!!

Captain Obvious

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2017, 09:59:44 PM

I think Italy are soccer royalty in a way France or Spain are not actually, so this result would have shaken things up anyway I think, if they hadn't already decided to go to 40 or whatever it is next time around. I'm gutted Italy won't be there. They are never the most exciting to watch, but they ooze class, and filth in equal measure. Also Buffon is my favourite soccer player i think. He genuinely acts like a really nice guy.

Plus the anthem, the jerseys, Goalazzzo. Shit I'm disappointed Sweden will be there instead of them.

A sad end to his international career if tonight was his final game. 1958 since Italy didn't reach the World cup?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 13, 2017, 09:59:44 PM

The only fair system is world qualifying resulting in the best 32/40 teams in the world and I dont see the problem in this modern world but if thats is difficult then the very least the playoffs should all be mixed up ie italy v peru or an asian or african qualifier etc and that would help even things out. Tryingb o qualify from UEFA is becoming more and more difficult christ teams like georgia armenia and macedonia suppossedly ranked as world minnows can play and would beat a lot of the shit at the finals.

Gabriel_Hurl

2026 has 48 teams