FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 10, 2017, 02:08:12 PM
We don't have Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady or Paul McGrath anymore, nor do we have anyone at the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man City or Man United. But we do have quite a few players who are Premier League players.

Darren Randolph was in the West Ham team last year.

Ciaran Clark is Newcastle
Seamus Coleman is Everton
Shane Duffy is Brighton
Stephen Ward is Burnley

Harry Artur Bournemouth
Robbie Brady Burnley
Jeff Hendrick Burnley
James McCarthy Everton
James McLean West Brom

Shane Long Southampton
John Walters Burnley

So Randolph aside, and even he with recent Premier League experience, you could actually name a full XI that are currently playing in the premier league.

So, why do most expect half the Burnley team with a smattering of Bournemouth, West Brom, Brighton, Everton and a Southampton striker who can't score and no player near world level to automatically qualify for a major tournament? It takes a good manager to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, and MON is doing rightly so far

AZOffaly

They are premier league players. There are over 30 teams that qualify for this tournament, and when you are in a group where the best team is Serbia, I think you're entitled to hope they would at least make the playoffs, and should be challenging for the top spot. Serbia dropped points all over the shop as well. We weren't in a group with Germany, Italy and Spain like.

Nobody expects Ireland to win a World Cup, but when this draw was made, it was probably the best draw IReland could have got as a 4th seed, and I think the group panned out that way.

thewobbler

Nobody expects automatic qualification from Ireland.

But I, along others, fail to see why Ireland players should be banned from exhibiting technique, composure and interchange play, when almost every nation outside of this and our neighbouring isle, expect these as the minimum attributes from their national representatives.

That over a dozen Irish men currently make millions from EPL football should be enough to suggest that MON should entrust them a little more.

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 01:04:59 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 12:53:10 PM
I agree with thewobbler. Teams no better than Ireland are competing well without resorting to this caveman football. Iceland being one example.

Ireland passed the ball around last night on a few occasions so why not more often?

Murphy's second goal on Friday, regardless of the opposition, came at the end of a beautiful move. Hoolahan's pass out to Ward was great. Why isn't it encouraged against the likes of Georgia? Is it right to tell our players that they better hoof it because Georgia are just too damn good?

People are entitle to say the end justifies the means but, although I'll be a sad day when I don't tune in, there's often very little enjoyment in watching.

Keyboard manager of the month goes to.....
What's that supposed to mean? The pass from Hoolahan, the cross from Ward and the header from Murphy were all brilliantly executed. Why don't you make your point instead of stupid comments like that?

Your subsequent comments are also nonsense.

Nobody has a sense of entitlement. In fact the argument is that the Irish players should be allowed to play the style of football they show they're able to play with their clubs. Nobody said we should be qualifying for anything.

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 02:45:12 PM
I agree with thewobbler. Teams no better than Ireland are competing well without resorting to this caveman football. Iceland being one example.

Ireland passed the ball around last night on a few occasions so why not more often?

Murphy's second goal on Friday, regardless of the opposition, came at the end of a beautiful move. Hoolahan's pass out to Ward was great. Why isn't it encouraged against the likes of Georgia? Is it right to tell our players that they better hoof it because Georgia are just too damn good?

People are entitle to say the end justifies the means but, although I'll be a sad day when I don't tune in, there's often very little enjoyment in watching.

What's that supposed to mean? The pass from Hoolahan, the cross from Ward and the header from Murphy were all brilliantly executed. Why don't you make your point instead of stupid comments like that?

Nobody has a sense of entitlement. In fact the argument is that the Irish players should be allowed to play the style of football they show they're able to play with their clubs. Nobody said we should be qualifying for anything.

:D It means exactly what it says. Regardless of the opposition, we should be playing champagne football with our current midfield, surely you see naivety in that line?  Even our midfield could pick holes in your post ffs !

AZOffaly

That's not what he meant. He meant it was a very good and well worked goal, NOTWITHSTANDING the opposition.

Maroon Manc

I saw a stat earlier that Ireland hadn't beaten anyone higher ranked than 33 in the world from 2002 to 2015, since then then we've beaten world no 2, 12,13 & 20 in competitive games.

Some of those players mentioned are very average and aren't good premiership players. Ward is 32 and has spent most of his career floating between the championship & Premier League. Clark is average, another player who will end up floating. Duffy has made 7 PL appearances and Randolph is now on loan in the championship. From midfield on we have more established top level players but none of them would get near a top 6 side, I just don't see where your expectancy comes from AZ given there's no class in that team at all, just plenty of players who've spent their career playing for teams trying to stay in the PL or in the championship.

Ireland haven't had a decent set of players since 2002 and thats reflected in only qualifying for 2 tournaments since. Qualifying for the last Euro's was about right though given 24 teams qualified but if Ireland were to qualify from the play offs it would be a huge success given the quality of the squad.

AZOffaly

I think you are over egging my expectations. All I expect is that they play to their ability, however mediocre that is. Nonetheless I would have expected that Ireland were as good or better than Wales, Georgia, Moldova, Austria. Serbia may be technically good, but Ireland have always had a decent enough record against Eastern European technical teams.

So I'm not expecting Ireland to pull up any trees, I'm just expecting them to play decent football, as a team of premier league millionaires should be able to, and I expect them to be able to have a good shot at winning a group like that.

The fact that they lost by 2 points, while not playing very well and dropping points in poor spots, would suggest my 'expectation' wasn't a million miles away from being realistic.

If Ireland draw Italy or Portugal, or even Switzerland, I won't expect them to qualify. If they draw Croatia or Denmark, I'd give them a fair chance. Maybe I should just lower my expectations and hope they don't lose by double digits?

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 02:57:38 PM
I saw a stat earlier that Ireland hadn't beaten anyone higher ranked than 33 in the world from 2002 to 2015, since then then we've beaten world no 2, 12,13 & 20 in competitive games.

Some of those players mentioned are very average and aren't good premiership players. Ward is 32 and has spent most of his career floating between the championship & Premier League. Clark is average, another player who will end up floating. Duffy has made 7 PL appearances and Randolph is now on loan in the championship. From midfield on we have more established top level players but none of them would get near a top 6 side, I just don't see where your expectancy comes from AZ given there's no class in that team at all, just plenty of players who've spent their career playing for teams trying to stay in the PL or in the championship.

Ireland haven't had a decent set of players since 2002 and thats reflected in only qualifying for 2 tournaments since. Qualifying for the last Euro's was about right though given 24 teams qualified but if Ireland were to qualify from the play offs it would be a huge success given the quality of the squad.

Randolph was sold to Middlesbrough for £5 million.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 02:57:38 PM

No decent team since 02 means Armagh. And nobody would expect much from Armagh these days.

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 02:55:23 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 02:45:12 PM

:D It means exactly what it says. Regardless of the opposition, we should be playing champagne football with our current midfield, surely you see naivety in that line?  Even our midfield could pick holes in your post ffs !
Hilarious. You say it means exactly what it says then go on to explain it to mean something else.

Of course you know that isn't what I mean but I didn't realise until now that you're a troll. Good to know.

Carry on.

Maroon Manc

Croatia AZ, based on what? Look at who their players are playing for, there's no comparison. Their miles ahead of Ireland, beating them to qualify would be a great achievement.

Denmark is different though, think Ireland would have a great chance of beating them.

AZOffaly

Esmarelda

Why is everyone going on about what clubs players play for?

Dundalk played in Europa League group stage last season. Did Stephen Kenny change his general approach to the game because his players were only playing in the League of Ireland? No, he didn't.

The point is that Stephen Kenny encourages his players to play attractive football and they've done so with relative success. That doesn't mean they can play like Guardiola's Barcelona. Our players playing with the likes of Burnley are able to play a possession based game. Wes Hoolahan at 35 in the Championship can clearly play this way. O'Neill insists that they don't.