FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

I agree with thewobbler. Teams no better than Ireland are competing well without resorting to this caveman football. Iceland being one example.

Ireland passed the ball around last night on a few occasions so why not more often?

Murphy's second goal on Friday, regardless of the opposition, came at the end of a beautiful move. Hoolahan's pass out to Ward was great. Why isn't it encouraged against the likes of Georgia? Is it right to tell our players that they better hoof it because Georgia are just too damn good?

People are entitle to say the end justifies the means but, although I'll be a sad day when I don't tune in, there's often very little enjoyment in watching.

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 10, 2017, 12:53:10 PM
I agree with thewobbler. Teams no better than Ireland are competing well without resorting to this caveman football. Iceland being one example.

Ireland passed the ball around last night on a few occasions so why not more often?

Murphy's second goal on Friday, regardless of the opposition, came at the end of a beautiful move. Hoolahan's pass out to Ward was great. Why isn't it encouraged against the likes of Georgia? Is it right to tell our players that they better hoof it because Georgia are just too damn good?

People are entitle to say the end justifies the means but, although I'll be a sad day when I don't tune in, there's often very little enjoyment in watching.

Irish soccer has never been about entertainment.

general_lee

Quote from: thewobbler on October 10, 2017, 12:40:28 PM
Quote from: general_lee on October 10, 2017, 12:06:26 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on October 10, 2017, 11:57:19 AM
Ireland play conservatively for a reason, Ireland aren't good enough or MON doesn't spend enough time with is players to be able to play good football one game and conservatively the next. He has to pick a style of football and stick with it.

If Ireland had played a better brand of football with that squad of players or tried changing form game to game they'd have finished 3rd or 4th.

This squad is a miles away in quality from the 2002 team.
What he said.

Given the talent at his disposal MON is completely right to play conservatively. Regardless of whether the team make it past the playoffs or not, Ireland are simply not good enough to play "attractive football". It's mind-boggling how someone would choose entertainment over competitiveness.

See, football is not as black and white as you make out.

Efficient, conservative football will never be as attractive as free flowing football. But not does it have to consist of continually booting the ball 90 yards.

Ireland don't have the players to compete against the best teams. But there wasn't even a remnant of a top class side in our group. If Serbia or Wales look technically superior it is only because they've been encouraged to play football. Your heads in the sand if you think otherwise.

The biggest problem with MON's approach is that should we make Russia, it's likely that it'll be a repeat of Euro 2012. It's one thing, in my opinion, to be beaten by a better team. It's another to look completely incapacitated on an individual level  due to tactics.
Wales looked technically superior because they went with a passing game last night. Were they tactically superior though? Absolutely not. Ireland could easily have went with the same tactics but that would be completely idiotic in a game in which they simply had to win. They were happy to let Wales have possession and indeed probably expected that, went with aggressive tackling and counter attacking football and took the chance when it came. The reality is MON has the team playing to its strengths, yes it isn't pretty but more often than not it gets results

tiempo

Sure you could cut loose a bit against a weak team and tighten up and play conservatively against a direct competitor or very strong opponent especially away from home. I can see why the 1 dimensional approach against some but no harm in dropping the shoulders and letting it all hang out against the minnows.

Seems like they are a one trick pony, fair enough, a lot to be admired in great team spirit too, wouldn't go amiss in the Holland or Argentina camps of late I would imagine.

JoG2

Keyboard manager of the month goes to.....

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2017, 12:55:37 PM

Eoin Hand's team used to.play a bit . Mick McCarthy was decent as well as a manager.

seafoid

Serbia is a serious soccer country. 7M people, exposure to top continental teams, very good coaches, no rugby or GAA.

Wales are a bit like us.

NetNitrate

Quote from: seafoid on October 10, 2017, 01:11:04 PM

Eoin Hand's team used to.play a bit . Mick McCarthy was decent as well as a manager.

Eoin Hand's team played some wonderful football for the 1982 WC qualifiers, but went downhill after that. There was on game against Spain in either 84 or 86 qualifiers where the Irish team, with a lot better players than we have now, tried to backpass it to the goalie all night for a full 90 mins. Still ended up losing 2:0.

JoG2

Quote from: NetNitrate on October 10, 2017, 01:23:46 PM

Eoin Hand's team played some wonderful football for the 1982 WC qualifiers, but went downhill after that. There was on game against Spain in either 84 or 86 qualifiers where the Irish team, with a lot better players than we have now, tried to backpass it to the goalie all night for a full 90 mins. Still ended up losing 2:0.

Indeed, we currently don't have the likes of Whelan and Brady to make the team tick. 2 players with serious world level pedigree. Today's equivalent is a player who struggles to hold a regular spot in a Championship team. We continue to punch above our weight, haven't played silky football in my lifetime, yet there's this crazy sense of entitlement among many. Imagine being a Tyrone and Ireland man, you'd explode with the levels entitlement!

Syferus

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 01:45:34 PM

Indeed, we currently don't have the likes of Whelan and Brady to make the team tick. 2 players with serious world level pedigree. Today's equivalent is a player who struggles to hold a regular spot in a Championship team. We continue to punch above our weight, haven't played silky football in my lifetime, yet there's this crazy sense of entitlement among many. Imagine being a Tyrone and Ireland man, you'd explode with the levels entitlement!

I agree with your sentiment, but you're belying your lack of research here. Arter and Hendrick are both PL starters, Meyler was one until Hull got relegated in May, and McCarthy plays for a perennial top 6-7 team, usually starting when fit. Even Glenn Whelan is still a PL player. Coupled with Brady and McClean, we're naming pretty much an all-PL midfield in most games.

JoG2

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2017, 01:56:00 PM

I agree with your sentiment, but you're belying your lack of research here. Arter and Hendrick are both PL starters, Meyler was one until Hull got relegated in May, and McCarthy plays for a perennial top 6-7 team, usually starting when fit. Even Glenn Whelan is still a PL player. Coupled with Brady and McClean, we're naming pretty much an all-PL midfield in most games.

no, in your haste to add another post, you conveniently sidestepped the world level pedigree part of my post. Players who hold and control the tempo of the game and keep the ball off the opposition. The players you've mentioned are decent functioning midfielders, but not of the ilk Hand had to work with .

NAG1

Then why do we by pass them so much  ;D

AZOffaly

We don't have Ronnie Whelan, Liam Brady or Paul McGrath anymore, nor do we have anyone at the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Man City or Man United. But we do have quite a few players who are Premier League players.

Darren Randolph was in the West Ham team last year.

Ciaran Clark is Newcastle
Seamus Coleman is Everton
Shane Duffy is Brighton
Stephen Ward is Burnley

Harry Artur Bournemouth
Robbie Brady Burnley
Jeff Hendrick Burnley
James McCarthy Everton
James McLean West Brom

Shane Long Southampton
John Walters Burnley

So Randolph aside, and even he with recent Premier League experience, you could actually name a full XI that are currently playing in the premier league.

laoislad

Glenn Whelan plays for Aston Villa in the Championship.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

Quote from: JoG2 on October 10, 2017, 02:05:56 PM

no, in your haste to add another post, you conveniently sidestepped the world level pedigree part of my post. Players who hold and control the tempo of the game and keep the ball off the opposition. The players you've mentioned are decent functioning midfielders, but not of the ilk Hand had to work with .

This might be the most typical GAABoard post of all time. Proven wrong, so instead of making a sinecere response acknowledging they misspoke they instead take a swipe at the poster and then try to move the goal-posts they set with their very own words to try to save face.

C'mon man.