FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amanda

Reckon Northern Ireland will hoping the Republic make the play offs.
And meet and beat them.
Easiest the best draw they could hope for.

Ball Hopper

stew

Quote from: amanda on September 06, 2017, 12:48:45 AM
Reckon Northern Ireland will hoping the Republic make the play offs.
And meet and beat them.
Easiest the best draw they could hope for.

Amanda love, Primary 6 is calling, they need their English back!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Some people argue that we do not have good enough players. Others argue it's the manager's fault.

With top players focus on huge club salaries, the value of national soccer has deteriorated which is why teams like the six counties can thrive. So even if Ireland do not have players valued at £30m or more, we should still be able to get results.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on September 06, 2017, 09:01:09 AM
Some people argue that we do not have good enough players. Others argue it's the manager's fault.

With top players focus on huge club salaries, the value of national soccer has deteriorated which is why teams like the six counties can thrive. So even if Ireland do not have players valued at £30m or more, we should still be able to get results.

Where? I don't see them in that Ireland team.

Esmarelda

Quote from: straightred on September 05, 2017, 11:07:53 PM
thats twice in key home games in this campaign that we have failed to score against 10 men. Worse still was that in both cases we were clueless as to how to play against 10. Anyway we'll go to cardiff on a wing and a prayer - you never know
Exactly. Ireland were much better tonight but when Serbia scored O'Neill reverted to type and went for hoofball.

I agree the qualification will be mainly lost in previous games but why does every chance need to come from a hoof or a cross? Why not keep playing football and try to score that way? The Serbs lapped up our terribly predictable approach for the last half hour.

NAG1

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 09:30:51 AM
thats twice in key home games in this campaign that we have failed to score against 10 men. Worse still was that in both cases we were clueless as to how to play against 10. Anyway we'll go to cardiff on a wing and a prayer - you never know
Exactly. Ireland were much better tonight but when Serbia scored O'Neill reverted to type and went for hoofball.

I agree the qualification will be mainly lost in previous games but why does every chance need to come from a hoof or a cross? Why not keep playing football and try to score that way? The Serbs lapped up our terribly predictable approach for the last half hour.

Simply because of the fact that he does not have the players available to him that can keep the ball for any length of time, no players who can pick a pass, no players who can actual read a pass and make an intelligent run. So the percentage is play the long ball and hope for a break.

An Watcher

There are some superstars on here as well as in the ground last night.  Swore I was among 20 Eamon dunphys, half of whom probably never kicked a ball in their lives.  Criticism for going backwards, criticism for not hooting it in, criticism for taking hooligan off.  We are not party to the goings on behind the scenes.  Serbia did not ride out the last 20 mins easily.  They were clinging on.  Ireland have not failed to beat 10 men twice now.  They failed for a combined 30/40 mins, not 180 minutes.  The only players I thought were under par last night were long and Brady.  The rest have it their all.

Esmarelda

Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 09:57:36 AM

Simply because of the fact that he does not have the players available to him that can keep the ball for any length of time, no players who can pick a pass, no players who can actual read a pass and make an intelligent run. So the percentage is play the long ball and hope for a break.
This is not a fact. We kept the ball very well in the first half. Meyler, Hoolahan and Brady to name three were involved in many good spells of play. Why then, when we have an extra man, does he revert to type?

O'Neill mentioned twice in interviews after the Georgia game that we'd be going to play a technically better team in Serbia. I'm not saying this inaccurate, but why would you say it? Why put your players down? This is just one level above Trap. It's David Moyes telling the media last September that Sunderland are likely to be in a relegation battle.

Show some belief in your players and they might show you that they're better than you think.

Quote from: An Watcher on September 06, 2017, 10:22:12 AM
There are some superstars on here as well as in the ground last night.  Swore I was among 20 Eamon dunphys, half of whom probably never kicked a ball in their lives.  Criticism for going backwards, criticism for not hooting it in, criticism for taking hooligan off.  We are not party to the goings on behind the scenes.  Serbia did not ride out the last 20 mins easily.  They were clinging on.  Ireland have not failed to beat 10 men twice now.  They failed for a combined 30/40 mins, not 180 minutes.  The only players I thought were under par last night were long and Brady.  The rest have it their all.
You call that clinging on? They had a man less for almost half an hour and all they had to do was deal with crosses, bar one save from Murphy.

I don't think anyone said the players aren't giving their all, and certainly not easy target Dunphy, the criticism is mainly aimed at the approach of the manager.

NAG1

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 10:53:25 AM

This is not a fact. We kept the ball very well in the first half. Meyler, Hoolahan and Brady to name three were involved in many good spells of play. Why then, when we have an extra man, does he revert to type?

O'Neill mentioned twice in interviews after the Georgia game that we'd be going to play a technically better team in Serbia. I'm not saying this inaccurate, but why would you say it? Why put your players down? This is just one level above Trap. It's David Moyes telling the media last September that Sunderland are likely to be in a relegation battle.

Show some belief in your players and they might show you that they're better than you think.

You call that clinging on? They had a man less for almost half an hour and all they had to do was deal with crosses, bar one save from Murphy.

I don't think anyone said the players aren't giving their all, and certainly not easy target Dunphy, the criticism is mainly aimed at the approach of the manager.

Keeping the ball in the back four or defensive mid fielder when a team is not pressing you counts for jack sh*t, sure they could do that all day with no pressure. Serbia didnt need the win.

Point being that when they went down to 10 men that he brought on attacking subs, but one couldnt cross the ball from the left side and the right back was incapable of doing so from the other wing. Add the fact to this, that so called experienced players shot wildly from all angles when the shot was not the right option. Releasing any semblence of pressure that they had been trying to build.

Esmarelda

Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 11:35:45 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 10:53:25 AM

Keeping the ball in the back four or defensive mid fielder when a team is not pressing you counts for jack sh*t, sure they could do that all day with no pressure. Serbia didnt need the win.

Point being that when they went down to 10 men that he brought on attacking subs, but one couldnt cross the ball from the left side and the right back was incapable of doing so from the other wing. Add the fact to this, that so called experienced players shot wildly from all angles when the shot was not the right option. Releasing any semblence of pressure that they had been trying to build.
Hoolahan and Brady were not defensive midfielders nor were they playing in the back four. I assume you watched the game and therefore you know the play I'm talking about. Off the top of my head, Hoolahan, McClean and Walters releasing Long for his shot that was tipped over and Brady's pass through for Hoolahan on the inside right position that created a chance for the latter. This wasn't keeping the ball for the sake of it. It was good, creative, entertaining football. Therefore I'm not sure what point you're making in your first line.

He brought on Murphy for Hoolahan. You can call that an attacking sub if you wish. I call it bringing on a third striker whose game is to win long balls alongside Walters and Long whose game is relatively similar.  The tactics matched this as that's the approach we took. He withdrew our most creative player because he was "injured".

O'Dowda is well able to cross the ball as he did for the penalty appeal and Christie was already on the pitch but not sure why you're telling me this.

My point is, again, the approach was changed when we went a goal down and a man up to hoofing the ball.

NAG1

So you can point to two passes in nearly 100mins of football? Point is you said that they kept the ball well, my point is they were allowed too in areas that werent of concern to Serbia.

O'Dowda one cross from numerous chances to get the ball into a dangerous area.

The approach didnt change the approach was evident from the get go, long balls down the channels for Long to run on too. No point dressing it up that is what is was, they arent the only international side to do it.

Esmarelda

Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 12:15:21 PM
So you can point to two passes in nearly 100mins of football? Point is you said that they kept the ball well, my point is they were allowed too in areas that werent of concern to Serbia.

The approach didnt change the approach was evident from the get go, long balls down the channels for Long to run on too. No point dressing it up that is what is was, they arent the only international side to do it.
I'm tired. One last question. You believe that the Irish team's approach to the game was the same when Hoolahan was on the field as when he off it?

NAG1

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 02:24:52 PM

I'm tired. One last question. You believe that the Irish team's approach to the game was the same when Hoolahan was on the field as when he off it?

Isnt that what I just said, the approach is long ball down the channels, regardless of when Hoolahan was on the field or not. Obviously the propensity to hit the long ball was even more evident as the clock ran down and the pressure was coming on.

Esmarelda

Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 02:24:52 PM

Isnt that what I just said, the approach is long ball down the channels, regardless of when Hoolahan was on the field or not. Obviously the propensity to hit the long ball was even more evident as the clock ran down and the pressure was coming on.
It is. I thought my eyes were deceiving me so I thought I'd just clarify. We'll leave it at that.