Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: stew on November 17, 2015, 03:17:37 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 17, 2015, 12:50:11 AM
Quote from: ashman on November 16, 2015, 11:16:13 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 16, 2015, 11:02:24 PM
Fantastic results.

Really shames those rugby meats along with it to make it all the sweeter.

This was the equivalent of the rugby crowd beating Italy .  The soccerball mob qualified beating a poor Bosnia  team for a dumbed down tournament .

8 countries play rugby.

Ireland knocked out a team that was ranked 25 places above us tonight. Bosnia have many players involved in European club competitions. Dzeko, Pjanic and Begovic play in the Champions League. Lulic, Zukanovic and Kolasinac all play in the Europa League. Ireland don't have a single player in their entire squad playing European club football.

Being one of the best 24 teams in football in Europe is a far greater achievement than being top 2 in the world in rugby, it's the numbers game and once again Ireland have punched way above their weight in football.

What a load of balls that is!

You are having a laugh right??? :-[

How am I having a laugh. The Irish team consistently finishes between 5th and 8th in a minority sport that they are one of few countries who take the sport remotely comfortably.

The football team qualified as one of the best 24 teams in Europe - something that 3 of the past 6 champions failed to do. It's a great achievement by the lads particularly when you contrast it with the rugby failures.

Jim_Murphy_74

The fact there is a round of 16 means that one pox-lucky win could put you in the frame to get out of group.

Get a top seed team cold in the first round and you never know.

Uefa has 54 teams registered so nearly half made the finals!  God be with the days of '88 when 8 teams made the finals.

/Jim.

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on November 17, 2015, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 17, 2015, 11:18:59 AM
There's a young fella at Aston Villa seems to be a handy enough player, wonder would he be worth a look at?

Was wondering how long that would take  :)

On Twitter, about a thousand instances of it within two seconds of the final whistle.

muppet

Even though we only bate a country that voted against being a country and a province from somewhere that used to be a country, it is important to stick it to other Irish sports and teams. Begrudgery is our traditional response to failure, mediocrity and success. Anyone who begrudges our right to begrudge is just a f*cking bollix.

On that note, I have to say it gives me great joy to stick it to all those bandwagoners and shuttlecock sucking clowns, cheering girlie boxing, sailing, UFC whatever that is (Ulster Football I presume?) whenever ever it suits them. They know deep down they are not real fans, like those of us who watch League of Ireland (on telly, by accident, only if it comes on) at least once a couple of years. But we know that is infinitely more than the rest of yous who never watch it, even by accident.

And don't get me started on the rugby or the golf. None of those supporters are real fans like us who go to the pub to watch Chelpool, or Arsechester.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

In fairness, there were only 32 competitors in 1988. We'd have found it a bit more difficult to qualify if Yugoslavia had been able to enter six teams like they are now.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 17, 2015, 11:42:42 AM
The fact there is a round of 16 means that one pox-lucky win could put you in the frame to get out of group.

Get a top seed team cold in the first round and you never know.

Uefa has 54 teams registered so nearly half made the finals!  God be with the days of '88 when 8 teams made the finals.

/Jim.

In 1988 there were only 32 teams now there are 54 so expansion was inevitable. I really enjoyed the old Euros because every match was big. 16 is probably the right number but even in 2012 one of the groups was full of average/poor teams compared to the rest. 24 teams IS too many but hey if it means we qualify so be it. It probably makes up for the fact that the World cup is becoming increasingly more difficult to qualify for. The number of good teams in Europe increases but there are no extra places and there is even talk of a 40 team world cup and again it will be filled with rot from the rest of the world to make the game 'global' instead of just having the best teams.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2015, 11:47:54 AM
In fairness, there were only 32 competitors in 1988. We'd have found it a bit more difficult to qualify if Yugoslavia had been able to enter six teams like they are now.

And 25% qualified.  The ratio now is closer to 50%.

Proposed by Delaney.

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: muppet on November 17, 2015, 11:44:02 AM
UFC whatever that is (Ulster Football I presume?) whenever ever it suits them.

How could you compare UFC and Ulster Football Championship?

One is a no-holds-barred mixture of boxing, wrestling and other martial arts while the other is a made up sport for satellite TV!

/Jim.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 17, 2015, 11:53:40 AM
Quote from: deiseach on November 17, 2015, 11:47:54 AM

And 25% qualified.  The ratio now is closer to 50%.

Proposed by Delaney.

/Jim.

Delaney is a bean counter, we are in serious debt due to the stadium, he proposes a larger UEFA tournament, we then scrape in and will expect a 20 million windfall, job done.

laoislad

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 17, 2015, 11:40:07 AM
Quote from: general_lee on November 17, 2015, 11:18:59 AM
There's a young fella at Aston Villa seems to be a handy enough player, wonder would he be worth a look at?

Well hopefully the 60 million man ( :o) is currently sacking his dopey agent as he will have a long holiday next summer as Hodgson has about 5 other talented young lads ahead of him.
On a serious note I dont see anyone breaking through. O'Neil seems to have finally found a favoured team and tactics so expect little change. Plenty of long balls up to Murphy, Walters and Long which means Keane will likely stay benched. I still think he only needs McCarthy or Whelan not both. Would like Arter to get a proper try now that he is fit.
And Eunan O'Kane also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

deiseach

Another thing that should be considered in the numbers going to the European Championship are the numbers going to the World Cup. In 1990 there were 13 places for 32 competitors. In 2018, there will be 13 places for 52 competitors.

Will the expanded Euro finals be a success? Probably not. There are going to be some right beatings handed out (see: Ireland, Republic in 2012). But they have made the qualifiers more interesting, with more countries involved right up to the end. You pays your money etc

illdecide

Surely we have some young lads around 17-19 year old playing at some of the Premiership clubs that could make the break thru?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

deiseach

Quote from: illdecide on November 17, 2015, 12:25:54 PM
Surely we have some young lads around 17-19 year old playing at some of the Premiership clubs that could make the break thru?

Er...

An Watcher

Not quite in the young category as they are both 27 but Alan Judge and Adam Rooney are banging in the goals with Brentford and Aberdeen.  Maybe Kevin Doyle could play himself into contention but it could be difficult playing in America.  Would like to see McGeady get more game time at Everton as well

Shamrock Shore

QuoteWould like to see McGeady get more game time at Everton as well

Not so sure die-hard Everton fans would agree.