FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

I understand that the FAI Technical people are obsessed with Belgium seafóid - the new FAI technical plan draws heavily on the Belgian plan.  In fact, there was talk of the League of Ireland linking with Belgian and Dutch leagues in terms of 'graduating' the more technically-able young Irsh players to those leagues rather than the second, third and fourth tiers of English football. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

clarshack

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2015, 11:38:45 AM
I understand that the FAI Technical people are obsessed with Belgium seafóid - the new FAI technical plan draws heavily on the Belgian plan. In fact, there was talk of the League of Ireland linking with Belgian and Dutch leagues in terms of 'graduating' the more technically-able young Irsh players to those leagues rather than the second, third and fourth tiers of English football.

that would be excellent for irish football if it happened.  the british coaching system is seriously outdated.

seafoid

Quote from: clarshack on October 16, 2015, 11:56:03 AM
Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2015, 11:38:45 AM
I understand that the FAI Technical people are obsessed with Belgium seafóid - the new FAI technical plan draws heavily on the Belgian plan. In fact, there was talk of the League of Ireland linking with Belgian and Dutch leagues in terms of 'graduating' the more technically-able young Irsh players to those leagues rather than the second, third and fourth tiers of English football.

that would be excellent for irish football if it happened.  the british coaching system is seriously outdated.
Same for tennis as well AFAIK.
Irish coaching isn't up to much either.

thewobbler

I'll wait and see if Belgium produce a second generation of players before joining in the plaudits.

For all of the media talk of their golden generation, and how Belgium are the best thing since sliced bread, their world cup team last year had a number of starters - Fellaini, Mirallas, Origi, Witsel - plus more-or-less an entire bench, who wouldn't get within a fart's whiff of playing for England, had they been born there.

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2015, 12:49:23 PM
I'll wait and see if Belgium produce a second generation of players before joining in the plaudits.

For all of the media talk of their golden generation, and how Belgium are the best thing since sliced bread, their world cup team last year had a number of starters - Fellaini, Mirallas, Origi, Witsel - plus more-or-less an entire bench, who wouldn't get within a fart's whiff of playing for England, had they been born there.
Did your man Ali play for England last week? Do you really think Fellaini and Miralles wouldn't have played for England?

thewobbler

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 16, 2015, 12:54:51 PM

Did your man Ali play for England last week? Do you really think Fellaini and Miralles wouldn't have played for England?

Those lads are starting in a World Cup knock out game, not getting 3 mins at the end of non-event qualifier.

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on October 16, 2015, 12:57:43 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on October 16, 2015, 12:54:51 PM

Those lads are starting in a World Cup knock out game, not getting 3 mins at the end of non-event qualifier.
Fair enough. But you said "playing" for England.

seafoid

England's population is 5 times that of Belgium.
And the Belgians had a long time in the doldrums.

At least they are thinking strategically.
the job of England manager is a thankless one. By the time the players get to him it's far too late. 

Billys Boots

I recently read, though I don't know how true it is - the England manager has a pool of only around 50 Premiership players he can pick from. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
I recently read, though I don't know how true it is - the England manager has a pool of only around 50 Premiership players he can pick from.

Premiership regulars I presume you mean. That would sound about right, when you consider 20 teams, and probably an average of 3-4 English qualified players on each team.

seafoid

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 16, 2015, 01:25:08 PM
That phenomenon has also hammered Ireland. Back in the good old days the big clubs would have one or 2 Irish players amongst the British players. Now the local proportion is way down as the
money in the game allows clubs to scour the world for talent. And you end up with certain people bigging up Norwich players.Jack Charlton had players from Liverpool , Everton, ManU etc.

rodney trotter

Dzeko the obvious danger man. Pjanic a quality player too.

Walters will be a loss over there in first leg, Long could be missing, O Shea suspended too.

StGallsGAA

Will be a big ask without Walters and O'Shea but we avoided the Ukrainians which was a bonus.

laoislad

It will be a bonus not having O'Shea IMO, he was brutal against Poland.

Good draw, could have been worse. I think we'll qualify.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.