FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Unreal result last night.
Every man in a green jersey gave a totally selfless and heroic performance.
They were all on a par and the sheer work ethic in the team was faultless and the goal was no more than what we deserved. A fantastic finish from Long.
McCarthy had a wee 10min spell in 2nd half where he was hounding the Germans out of it and taking ball off them, breaking up their play and generally scaring the shite out of them.
Hendrick came good too and his calmness and simplistic passing and keep-ball with Jonathan Walters near the end was key too.
Cyrus Christie was immense and didn't look fazed at any time.

its been a long time since ive been dancing round the living room at an Ireland soccer result.
Last 10mins was so nervy.

Now for sunday and those pesky Poles. Time for someone to kick Lewandowski into the stands.

Bingo

That was brilliant last night, brilliant goal from Long who banged it like a man who knew that was his "moment".

The back 4 where super all night, never give up and threw themselves at everything but where equally disciplined in not overcommitting out wide. I thought McCarthy was brilliant in his role. Wes got MoM but thought he was careless on occasion and overplayed it or just took the wrong option, still he was willing to try things and be unpredictable which we shouldn't knock.

The soccer has it knockers but when you get a result like that and the sheer explosion of joy that a single score can bring, I think it answers a lot of its critics. Some still won't get it but many more will and the scenes on twitter and facebook of the celebrations that went on late in the night from around the country show it will always have a place. A lot mightn't be pretty but it engages you for the 90 minutes.

Have to tip the hat to them.

magpie seanie

Brilliant result last night and a massive effort from the players, management and supporters. Absolutely delighted to be wrong and if the bodies can recover from a pretty tough effort who knows what can happen on Sunday? It's not like Poland are unbeatable.

magpie seanie

Quote from: rrhf on October 08, 2015, 11:10:05 PM
Will robbie keane travel to the euros.   Probably done by then?

Even if he is injured he should be brought, if we get there.

clarshack

Quote from: Boycey on October 07, 2015, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 06, 2015, 10:40:33 PM
What's parking like around the aviva?

I always come from the North across the Eastlink so can only tell ya from that perspective but once through the toll and round the corner there is parking on both sides of the road and some fields/industrial ground used for pay parking, this leaves u about 15 mins walk to pitch. We generally drive past all this, turn right at main junction and into Irishtown and park down some of side streets there, it halves the walk to the ground and if your swift at getting out of the ground on the final whistle it'll save you a load of time as the queue at toll can be long...

If your coming from other side all this info is useless of course :-)

thanks for that advice boycey! appreciated. it was a fantastic night overall :)

as for the match i thought hoolahan was superb and mccarthy was good too. the defence was very disciplined apart from stephen ward
who gave away a lot of space. was glad to see him go off tbh.

and what a finish from Long!!!

think it will be 2-2 in poland....

AZOffaly

Quote from: ashman on October 09, 2015, 09:35:24 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 09, 2015, 09:24:39 AM
Brilliant result. I was out doing a bit of coaching, and was studiously avoiding the radio and internet on the way home in the car, then I stopped into Centra to get bread just as Shane Long was scoring on the big plasma screen that's normally talking about sandwiches! It ruined my recording, but it was fantastic to see. I just watched the last 15 minutes when I got home, and I can't believe the Germans didn't score, but Ireland were heroic. Great stuff.

On a side note, well done to our Newport U11s who won the McDonalds Futures 7 a side competition, and were presented at half time. Our GAA Club and Soccer club are doing a good job coexisting, there''s a huge crossover, and we are having success in both codes. It was a great achievement for these lads and girls, so well done to them.

Tell the truth you could not bother watching cos you thought they would be beaten easy !!

Nah, I was over in Dolla with the North Tipp U14s :) I always watch the games, I haven't been enjoying them a lot recently, but I do watch and support them :)

magpie seanie

That was a real Martin O'Neill team last night,. That's what you expected off his teams and expected when he got the job. They'll work like dogs but play when they can. Supporters respond to that and you can see the camaraderie among the group is excellent. We need those additional assets to make up for the shallower pool of players we have. The beauty of sport is that it's not always the most talented that win, especially in team sports. Lessons for life, for free.

50fiftyball

Would love to book the flights out to France now!  ;D but I suppose that would be chancy, considering groups draw isn't to 12th December? Could be playing all over the place. States that the three group games will be between Fri 10th - 21st June. (Also I realise we still have to qualify  ::) ::))

From the Bunker

Brilliant result. I was out doing a bit of coaching, and was studiously avoiding the radio and internet on the way home in the car, then I stopped into Centra to get bread just as Shane Long was scoring on the big plasma screen that's normally talking about sandwiches! It ruined my recording, but it was fantastic to see. I just watched the last 15 minutes when I got home, and I can't believe the Germans didn't score, but Ireland were heroic. Great stuff.

On a side note, well done to our Newport U11s who won the McDonalds Futures 7 a side competition, and were presented at half time. Our GAA Club and Soccer club are doing a good job coexisting, there''s a huge crossover, and we are having success in both codes. It was a great achievement for these lads and girls, so well done to them.

I am involved in underage Soccer and (Gaelic) Football in my area. Love both games to bits. I hate when people from either codes look at you as almost a traitor if you give time to the other. Or look at you as a half cast supporter if you are involved in both. I have introduced my kids (Boys and Girl) to Soccer and football along with Hurling (which is completely foreign as a game to me). Ironically my oldest lad loves Hurling. He has a great gra for it and this makes me happy and proud. The point is don't pigeon hole your kids. Team sports in rural areas need numbers to keep underage side going. Introduce them to any available, help your community.

Up Mayo! Come on ye boys in Green!

WT4E

Sorry lads haven't had time to read the thread or catch up on the footage from last night but was hoping someone could summarise what Dunpys points where before the game and then after the game. Thanks

AZOffaly

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 09, 2015, 10:42:45 AM

I am involved in underage Soccer and (Gaelic) Football in my area. Love both games to bits. I hate when people from either codes look at you as almost a traitor if you give time to the other. Or look at you as a half cast supporter if you are involved in both. I have introduced my kids (Boys and Girl) to Soccer and football along with Hurling (which is completely foreign as a game to me). Ironically my oldest lad loves Hurling. He has a great gra for it and this makes me happy and proud. The point is don't pigeon hole your kids. Team sports in rural areas need numbers to keep underage side going. Introduce them to any available, help your community.

I agree with you :) My own lad plays football, hurling, soccer and basketball. I encourage all the young lads to play as much sport as they can. It's up to the adults in all the clubs to facilitate this for as long as they can.

I don't disagree at all!

Bingo

Quote from: WT4E on October 09, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Sorry lads haven't had time to read the thread or catch up on the footage from last night but was hoping someone could summarise what Dunpys points where before the game and then after the game. Thanks

Germany don't have a Wes Hoolahan and Wes is his love child.

Other than that he turned his negative comments against past performances and team selections where the management and team didn't have the courage to go after similar results.

He was delighted otherwise.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 09, 2015, 10:49:40 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 09, 2015, 10:42:45 AM

I agree with you :) My own lad plays football, hurling, soccer and basketball. I encourage all the young lads to play as much sport as they can. It's up to the adults in all the clubs to facilitate this for as long as they can.

I don't disagree at all!

I'm involved in a football (soccer) club and have done a good bit of coaching over the past 10 years - I suppose I'd traditionally have been a GAA supporter but my kids preferred the world game, so that's what I got involved in.  We've a good relationship with the local GAA club; it wouldn't always have been so, but the dinosaurs seem to be disappearing into the woodwork (on both sides).  The clubs are drawing from the same pool of players, so if there's no co-operation, both clubs will suffer, and I think both clubs recognise this. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Bingo on October 09, 2015, 10:56:13 AM
Quote from: WT4E on October 09, 2015, 10:46:21 AM

Germany don't have a Wes Hoolahan and Wes is his love child.

Other than that he turned his negative comments against past performances and team selections where the management and team didn't have the courage to go after similar results.

He was delighted otherwise.
Had a few goes at McCarthy too, which I suppose is just bitterness at this stage
Once McCarthy is played in his natural position, he is very effective