FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: michaelg on September 28, 2015, 08:21:42 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 28, 2015, 07:34:06 PM
Its nothing to do with international football and everything to do with chasing a bigger club salary. From a footballing choice its a bad move. I cant see too many caps for him with the likes of Walcott, wilshire, sterling, Barclay, oxlade Chamberlain etc etc all young and better. I don't blame him but I do have an issue wIth Mon. When he came into the job he moaned about the dearth of talent and yet he has managed to let one of his better youth players leave. Should have capped him 18 mths ago and saved him months of begging and pleading to no avail. Since taking over he has recruited arter and Christie, OK players but  no better than what we've got meanwhile the likes of bamford, Redmond, Wilson all Irish qualified a million miles from the English team and yet Mon and Keane cant sway them hmm something not right there. Noble also couldn't be tempted and no-one bothered to try Kane before it was too late, so no marks there on the recruitment front.
MON also doesn't seem to be tapping up players from NI, as was the case in recent years.

He is after all one fundamentally of them (Northern Irish) so it might be tough stepping on some old mates feet? That and Northern Ireland are not a pub team any longer.

michaelg

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 28, 2015, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: michaelg on September 28, 2015, 08:21:42 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 28, 2015, 07:34:06 PM
Its nothing to do with international football and everything to do with chasing a bigger club salary. From a footballing choice its a bad move. I cant see too many caps for him with the likes of Walcott, wilshire, sterling, Barclay, oxlade Chamberlain etc etc all young and better. I don't blame him but I do have an issue wIth Mon. When he came into the job he moaned about the dearth of talent and yet he has managed to let one of his better youth players leave. Should have capped him 18 mths ago and saved him months of begging and pleading to no avail. Since taking over he has recruited arter and Christie, OK players but  no better than what we've got meanwhile the likes of bamford, Redmond, Wilson all Irish qualified a million miles from the English team and yet Mon and Keane cant sway them hmm something not right there. Noble also couldn't be tempted and no-one bothered to try Kane before it was too late, so no marks there on the recruitment front.
MON also doesn't seem to be tapping up players from NI, as was the case in recent years.

He is after all one fundamentally of them (Northern Irish) so it might be tough stepping on some old mates feet? That and Northern Ireland are not a pub team any longer.
Maybe he doesn't agree with it (Probably for some of the reasons mentioned on this thread to date re Jack Grealish).  As a NI fan, sadly we are never too far from the pub team label being levelled at us.

illdecide

Kevin Kilbane commented on Grealish's decision to opt for England instead of ROI

'I'd rather have one cap for Ireland than 100 caps for England'
Kevin Kilbane says he's "disappointed" with Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish's decision to play for England rather than the Republic of Ireland.

The former Everton midfielder Kilbane explains why playing for the Republic of Ireland was the obvious decision for him, despite being born in Preston.

Alongside Mark Chapman, former Leicester striker Steve Claridge and the BBC's senior football reporter Ian Dennis, Kilbane says he turned down the chance to play for England at youth level, and says he would've traded "100 caps for England" if it meant he would play for Ireland.

"I might never have played for England at senior level," said Kilbane. "But that is how I felt at age 16 and 17. That was always going to be my decision."
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Applesisapples

Best quote I saw on Joe.ie was "I see Jack Grealish has retired from International Football." His situation though is not like nationalists in NI declaring for the ROI, we are brought up supporting the team as our national team and now have the right under the GFA to choose it's as it should be. Good luck to Grealish but I suspect if he had have been good enough he'd have been in the English schoolboy setup...time will tell.

Bord na Mona man

Grealish was set to play for Ireland over a year ago and would be tied to us now if he had.
I wonder has there been many English players who committed to Eire when they were young and regretted it later?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:19:43 PM
Grealish was set to play for Ireland over a year ago and would be tied to us now if he had.
I wonder has there been many English players who committed to Eire when they were young and regretted it later?

Cant think of anyone who declared for Ireland that would have had a long England career apart from maybe lawrenson. The likes of Rooney, Gerard, scholes and carragher knew they were good enough for England early on so didn't even consider ireland. Steve Bruce has admitted regret playing a b international for England that blocked him playing for the North - crazy such a talented player didn't have an international career.

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 29, 2015, 11:19:05 AM
Best quote I saw on Joe.ie was "I see Jack Grealish has retired from International Football." His situation though is not like nationalists in NI declaring for the ROI, we are brought up supporting the team as our national team and now have the right under the GFA to choose it's as it should be. Good luck to Grealish but I suspect if he had have been good enough he'd have been in the English schoolboy setup...time will tell.
I'm afraid there are very clear parallels between the 2 situations. i.e. One Association spending time and money to develop a player, only for said player to opt for another international team.

Main Street

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 29, 2015, 03:46:07 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 29, 2015, 03:19:43 PM

Cant think of anyone who declared for Ireland that would have had a long England career apart from maybe lawrenson. The likes of Rooney, Gerard, scholes and carragher knew they were good enough for England early on so didn't even consider ireland. Steve Bruce has admitted regret playing a b international for England that blocked him playing for the North - crazy such a talented player didn't have an international career.
Steve Heighway was more than good enough to play for England.
Both Heighway and Lawrenson declared for Ireland before their career had really kicked off, nevertheless, both did not regret doing so.
Townsend was good enough for England and it's a football crime how Scotland totally ignored Ray Houghton.
But probably the players who would have chosen Ireland first over an English invite, are few and far between.

When Grealish was ready to be considered to play for the senior side, he deferred, therefore it is idle talk to speculate about that he should have been capped in a competitive game in order to tie him to the FAI. The eligibility statutes for dual nationals are about choice and the power is with the player to decide where he wants to go. Talk about an association aborting that choice by capping a player prematurely is not in the player's interest nor in the interest of the game. A dual national player owes little to the association who has capped him at underage, he has the right to consider and reconsider his options until he is capped competitively at senior level 

JPGJOHNNYG

Agree about Houghton although don't forget he was playing for Oxford in the mid eighties and the Scottish midfield at the time was full of stars like mcstay, Strahan, souness, mcavennie, aitken. Certainly mcgeady and mccarthy have had it worst. The English lads who declare for Ireland by and large wouldn't get near the England team but both these lads would be regulars for Scotland and then you have the added nasty sectarian dimension which unfortunately both the lads have been subjected to. I know both these guys haven't shown their true potential plying for Ireland but we must not forget the difficult decision they had to make and abuse they suffered to wear the green shirt as opposed to a number of english lads who wont admit that Ireland is their plan b. Just to add though I don't care if Ireland wasn't their preferred choice just as long as they are fully committed now.

ashman

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on September 29, 2015, 11:41:56 PM
Agree about Houghton although don't forget he was playing for Oxford in the mid eighties and the Scottish midfield at the time was full of stars like mcstay, Strahan, souness, mcavennie, aitken. Certainly mcgeady and mccarthy have had it worst. The English lads who declare for Ireland by and large wouldn't get near the England team but both these lads would be regulars for Scotland and then you have the added nasty sectarian dimension which unfortunately both the lads have been subjected to. I know both these guys haven't shown their true potential plying for Ireland but we must not forget the difficult decision they had to make and abuse they suffered to wear the green shirt as opposed to a number of english lads who wont admit that Ireland is their plan b. Just to add though I don't care if Ireland wasn't their preferred choice just as long as they are fully committed now.

Correct : mcgeady and McCarthy have got awful stick . They also got abuse in scotland.

BennyCake

Quote from: ashman on September 30, 2015, 01:29:39 AM

Correct : mcgeady and McCarthy have got awful stick . They also got abuse in scotland.

Scotland fans should be over the moon that those 2 opted for Ireland, because they're both shite!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: BennyCake on September 30, 2015, 02:04:55 AM
Quote from: ashman on September 30, 2015, 01:29:39 AM

Scotland fans should be over the moon that those 2 opted for Ireland, because they're both shite!

They are not shite. McGeady is streaky he is either on fire or just goes missing in action Id say his future with Ireland is on hold though as he hasnt played for Everton in ages. McCarthy is one of the most consistent players in the premiership so his poor form for Ireland is a mystery. The other problem in terms of McCarthy is there is no alternative. Whelan isnt up to much, Im not convinced by Quinn and Gibson isnt playing. As for Scotland the majority of their good football goes through Maloney who fair play to him has done well but he is a championship player and thats his level but he is head and shoulders above the rest of the dross on that team which makes our performances against them all the more embarrassing

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on September 29, 2015, 08:54:50 PM
I'm afraid there are very clear parallels between the 2 situations. i.e. One Association spending time and money to develop a player, only for said player to opt for another international team.
Actually a lot of that money comes from taxes which are paid by all in the north. We in the north are quite entitled to designate as Irish and hold an Irish passport and as such play for the ROI. Grealish is making his decision based on his pocket not his nationality as is his right so good luck to him. Instead of bitching about the one that got away embrace those who want to wear the jersey. Perhaps if Windsor wasn't awash with Ulster banners union flags and GSTQ more nationalists might decide to don the green of NI.

Zulu

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 30, 2015, 09:59:25 AM
Quote from: michaelg on September 29, 2015, 08:54:50 PM
Actually a lot of that money comes from taxes which are paid by all in the north. We in the north are quite entitled to designate as Irish and hold an Irish passport and as such play for the ROI. Grealish is making his decision based on his pocket not his nationality as is his right so good luck to him. Instead of bitching about the one that got away embrace those who want to wear the jersey. Perhaps if Windsor wasn't awash with Ulster banners union flags and GSTQ more nationalists might decide to don the green of NI.

No he's not. He clearly feels he is English and the only reason he would have chosen Ireland was if he was certain he had no future with England. I can't understand the mentality of Irish soccer supporters who seem to be happy to take anyone for Ireland irrespective of whether they feel Irish or not. A guy could hang around the England set up like some love struck teenager waiting for the call and when he realises they are out of his league plenty of Irish fans are delighted if he picks us up for a handy feel up at the back of the cinema.

I live in Britain so I could see how kids I might someday raise here could feel more Irish than British but if they had a choice of playing for Ireland or England I'd expect them to go with the country they feel closest to. If they felt more English than Irish then go down that path as international representation should be about just that - representing a nation, not simply a career move supported by fans more interested in boozing it up at a world cup than actually having a national team which represents you.

Applesisapples

I don't have a problem with  Grealish declaring for England, I agree if he doesn't want to play for Ireland then that's fine. But if you check out his tweets as published by Joe.ie you would see his change of heart most likely out of loyalty to the half crown as we say in this part of Ireland.