FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

I don't really understand the outrage around what Mc Queen said. Basically i think he reckons if you feel enough of a part of a nation to play for their underage sides you should be willing to play for the senior side and if you don't feel Scottish/Irish/English/Mexican/Italian etc. you shouldn't play for them underage. Doesn't seem all that ridiculous an opinion to me.

ballinaman

Quote from: beer baron on November 11, 2014, 09:51:46 PM
I don't really understand the outrage around what Mc Queen said. Basically i think he reckons if you feel enough of a part of a nation to play for their underage sides you should be willing to play for the senior side and if you don't feel Scottish/Irish/English/Mexican/Italian etc. you shouldn't play for them underage. Doesn't seem all that ridiculous an opinion to me.
Which neither McGeady or McCarthy did for Scotland. A poxy U-13 means fcuk all to my mind for McGeady and McCarthy wasn't deemed good enough by the SFA.
McQueen can take a running jump.

I'll be there on Friday. Onus on Scotland to come at us, Scotland are a breaking team and not sure how they'll react to Ireland sitting back, if can defend as well as in Germany, have a great chance.
Keogh in for Wilson which is a blow but has been playing well for Derby and Fletcher blows hot and cold for them up top.
Naismith is a worry....as is Ward at left back, at least one shocker every match.

T Fearon

Don't recall Glaswegian born Ray Houghton getting any abuse when he played for Ireland against Scotland at Hampden in 1987. Abuse of Mc Geady and Mc Carthy will only add to the atmosphere on Friday and I expect with the Celtic contingent in the stands Ireland's support could well outnumber Scotland's.

michaelg

Precisely.  With regards to players choosing between ROI and NI, I think some sort of agreement needs to be reached between the 2 associations.  e.g. Decide after Under 18 level perhaps, and stick to your decision.  The situation now is not only unfair (i.e. NI wasting time and money developing players who later jump ship) but ridiculous too.  e.g. Ryan McLaughlin has been involvd in the last few squads  for NI as an unsused sub  but could still declare for the Republic as he has yet to clock up any competitive minutes.  Alex Bruce is another example, having made the switch from ROI to NI despite having played in friendly matches for th Republic.

beer baron

Quote from: ballinaman on November 11, 2014, 10:07:11 PM
Which neither McGeady or McCarthy did for Scotland. A poxy U-13 means fcuk all to my mind for McGeady and McCarthy wasn't deemed good enough by the SFA.

I'll be there on Friday. Onus on Scotland to come at us, Scotland are a breaking team and not sure how they'll react to Ireland sitting back, if can defend as well as in Germany, have a great chance.
Keogh in for Wilson which is a blow but has been playing well for Derby and Fletcher blows hot and cold for them up top.
Naismith is a worry....as is Ward at left back, at least one shocker every match.

Didn't actually know that about Mc Carthy my apologies and i'm not saying i agree with what Mc Queen says but it's been blown out of all proportion and the media are delighted to see it to try stir a bit of shite before the game.

As for the game itself as you say they'd prefer be sitting  back and breaking and i've only seen that Anya lad in the few games Scotland have played this campaign but he looks dangerous,serious pace and a bundle of energy,who does he even play for? Fletcher worries me,i think he's a lovely player and hope O' Shea knows how to shackle him training against him every day. I'd say there'll be some atmosphere,enjoy.

ballinaman

Quote from: beer baron on November 11, 2014, 10:17:58 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 11, 2014, 10:07:11 PM

Didn't actually know that about Mc Carthy my apologies and i'm not saying i agree with what Mc Queen says but it's been blown out of all proportion and the media are delighted to see it to try stir a bit of shite before the game.

As for the game itself as you say they'd prefer be sitting  back and breaking and i've only seen that Anya lad in the few games Scotland have played this campaign but he looks dangerous,serious pace and a bundle of energy,who does he even play for? Fletcher worries me,i think he's a lovely player and hope O' Shea knows how to shackle him training against him every day. I'd say there'll be some atmosphere,enjoy.
Think Anya is with Watford but I'm open to correction.
Didn't want Scotland prior to the draw, Strachan has done a great job with them. Pivotal game in the group.
As you said hopefully O'Shea can do a job and if Keogh comes in, it's not going to be a drastically different style of play that he's up against in the championship.

Atmosphere should be quality..arriving in around 10.30am...heard the Iron Horse does a decent breakfast and a pint ;)
Gallowgate for 2pm ish is the plan. I'm in 117 lower Lisbon lions but majority likely to be Irish who've bought from the SFA website.

DennistheMenace

Presume Scottish Celtic supporters generally support Scotland?

ballinaman

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 12, 2014, 08:56:33 AM
;)
Debatable. Most of the Tartan Army lads are from places like Perth, Inverness and Aberdeen they say. Sevco FC supporters generally follow England for the most part.

From the Bunker

Quote from: DennistheMenace on November 12, 2014, 08:56:33 AM

You'd expect so!  Although they'd have more than a fondness for us?

lynchbhoy

20 years ago , there would be a minority of Celtic fans supporting Scotland. they either supported us or didn't care.
Scotland were supported by all the other scots sides inc the former rangers.
though a lot of the old rangers fans were actually  from the north of Ireland and supported the north of Ireland team.
A few English fans in the rainjers mix too.

Ive seen more and more Celtic fans starting to support Scotland. id def say that support for Ireland is in the minority now. the younger fans are prob more Scotland fans. the older guys more likely to cheer for us.

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on November 11, 2014, 10:16:20 PM
Precisely.  With regards to players choosing between ROI and NI, I think some sort of agreement needs to be reached between the 2 associations.  e.g. Decide after Under 18 level perhaps, and stick to your decision.  The situation now is not only unfair (i.e. NI wasting time and money developing players who later jump ship) but ridiculous too.  e.g. Ryan McLaughlin has been involvd in the last few squads  for NI as an unsused sub  but could still declare for the Republic as he has yet to clock up any competitive minutes.  Alex Bruce is another example, having made the switch from ROI to NI despite having played in friendly matches for th Republic.
Bollocks it isn't currently possible for a player in the north to go through the southern schools system, so they go through the nordie one. Then they get to a level and an age where they and others are aware of their identity, some decide to put up with the onesided nature of the IFA and ignore it whilst some decide to switch to the FAI because they are more at home. Everyone is free to choose under the GFA. That's the way it should be.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 12, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
Bollocks it isn't currently possible for a player in the north to go through the southern schools system, so they go through the nordie one. Then they get to a level and an age where they and others are aware of their identity, some decide to put up with the onesided nature of the IFA and ignore it whilst some decide to switch to the FAI because they are more at home. Everyone is free to choose under the GFA. That's the way it should be.
afaik you are correct - and any such 'agreement' would only favour the north of Ireland team.

the sensible thing would be to have the one team like rugby and have it called 'Ireland'.

T Fearon

michaelg

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 12, 2014, 02:48:43 PM
Did you not read my post?  That's why I said players should make a decision at 18, or 21 even.  Then you don't have the ridiculous situation where you can play friendly matches, be involved with and travel and train but not play in competitive fixtures, and then play for another country.

Aaron Boone

Plenty of Keano fracas rumours from the team hotel tonight.