FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2014, 09:24:22 AM
Most of the criticism O'Shea got was about the club he played for, not what he was doing on the pitch. That might not be the case with yourself but undeniably it was with many other.

Robbie is playing really well at the moment, his best form in years. His record of caps and goals is amazing by any standard. Sure, there's plenty of things over the years I criticised him for but he has actually knuckled down since he went to the US and improved. He still shouldn't have started last night.

I presumed Wes Houlihan is playing for AC Milan or someone the way Dunphy was going on about him, is he at Derby?

As for starting Gibson, he hasn't managed a full 90 minutes for Everton yet, so its unlikely he would have been fit enough to last the full 90 last night when the midfield had to bust their balls to cover the defence as they'd little or no possession

AZOffaly

Most of the criticism O'Shea got was about the club he played for, not what he was doing on the pitch. That might not be the case with yourself but undeniably it was with many other.

Robbie is playing really well at the moment, his best form in years. His record of caps and goals is amazing by any standard. Sure, there's plenty of things over the years I criticised him for but he has actually knuckled down since he went to the US and improved. He still shouldn't have started last night.

No harm, there might be a grain of truth in that, but I think you might be hypersensitive to any criticism of any player that ever played for Man United. :D

beer baron

Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2014, 09:29:44 AM

I presumed Wes Houlihan is playing for AC Milan or someone the way Dunphy was going on about him, is he at Derby?

As for starting Gibson, he hasn't managed a full 90 minutes for Everton yet, so its unlikely he would have been fit enough to last the full 90 last night when the midfield had to bust their balls to cover the defence as they'd little or no possession

Still with Norwich and is a regular now they're down in the championship and is playing pretty well but as you say Dunphy's some boy for getting carried away,what ever happened his love affair with Andy Reid?

orangeman

The journos that made a big deal about Keane's book coming out last week and how it was going to be a massive distraction, must feel a little red faced this morning.

Billys Boots

I thought they played like they expected to take something from the game last night all the way through - Germany were pretty with the ball at times, but they didn't really make good chances, which was a tribute to our play.  It was a bad mistake not closing Kroos down for the goal, but they reacted well afterwards - we were the better side for the last 15 mins, which surprised me. 

There was a particularly impressive passage of play with 5 mins or so left - the German right-full hesitated in possession just inside his own half and three Irish midfielders descended on him like the Furies, robbing him with Hoolahan racing away with the ball in a 3v2 attack.  Hoolahan held on to the ball for a fraction too long because McGeady didn't get himself in a position to receive the ball at the right angle and the Germans cleared.  I thought then that we could take something from the game - within 90 seconds Hoolahan had almost scored from another fine passage of play with the German full-back making an exceptional block to save the day. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerrykeegan

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2014, 09:10:26 AM
Just imagine - if Roy Keane hadn't launched his book last week we'd have won this game easily.  :P

I'd say Brady had at least a ten minute rant planned for after the game...Roy's book...blah blah blah...cost us ...blah blah
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

nrico2006

Don't but into this talk about Robbie Keane not starting, his running won't stretch a defence in the way Longs does but there isn't another Irish striker even fit to lace his boots when it comes to putting the ball into the net.  Laughable that there is talk of him getting a reduced role etc, you would see through it if the goals were drying up.  Long and Doyle and the other pretenders make Emile Heskey look prolific.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Billy, did you think Germany just assumed they would coast home after they scored? They looked unbelievably careless to me.

magpie seanie

I thought Dunphy was wrong last night and as someone said it looked like the panel were annoyed we got a draw. The criticism of Trapp was justified but this is not "Trapp with a Derry accent" as Dunphy put it. In the circumstances, with good players missing and some others not playing regularly it was a brilliant result first and foremost. We should have kept the ball better than we did in the first half. That needs work but I think personnel was the issue here. Team selection - a bit questionable alright but not as bad as they were making out.

Overall this exercise was about containment and hoping to grab enough onthe break to get a draw out of it. We did that and there's more to be positive about than negative.

AZOffaly

I can't believe anyone would look at a 1-1 draw away to the World Champions, by a team currently ranked 62nd in the world, in a negative light. I even thought at times, from what I saw, Ireland tried to pass the ball around. Even in the first half there was a passage of play where McLean, Ward, Whelan and maybe O'Shea passed it around one-touch, and got themselves out of a dodgy situation.

The RTE Soccer panel are a mirror of the Gaelic Football panel. It's pathetic. I watched on Sky. Niall Quinn was delighted, Jamie Carragher was positive and Didi Hamann was disgusted with Germany, but complimentary of Ireland. Why must RTE always try to prove how clever they are by being cynical. I've said it before on here, games are never as good as they are portrayed on Sky, and never as bad as portrayed on RTE. I think they are determined not to be the British TV (BBC/Sky/ITV) style cheerleaders, and instead have become the polar opposite.

Bingo

Anyone listening to Dunphy and Co should have a look at themselves. Agenda driven and the result/game/performance is incidental to them, its all about the lads and keeping their "reputations" up.

Its a pity Souness wasn't on with them as I'm sure he would have rattled their cages.

Massive result and sets up the group very well. Next game V Scotland will be a real battle now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on October 15, 2014, 10:39:39 AM
Anyone listening to Dunphy and Co should have a look at themselves. Agenda driven and the result/game/performance is incidental to them, its all about the lads and keeping their "reputations" up.

Its a pity Souness wasn't on with them as I'm sure he would have rattled their cages.

Massive result and sets up the group very well. Next game V Scotland will be a real battle now.

I don't know if anyone 'listens' to them per se. However I can't bear hearing what they say. As I said, if I have a choice I watch it on another station.

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 10:46:44 AM

I don't know if anyone 'listens' to them per se. However I can't bear hearing what they say. As I said, if I have a choice I watch it on another station.

Turn the TV off after the game ends, you'll be much happier.

The Trap

International football is in a terrible state - WORLD CHAMPIONS GERMANY were lucky to beat SCOTLAND, got beaten by POLAND and drew with IRELAND..............it was an awful World Cup apart from a couple of good games in the early stages............Sterling is too tired to play for England..............at this rate Norn Iron might win the bloody thing!!!!!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on October 15, 2014, 10:54:27 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2014, 10:46:44 AM

Turn the TV off after the game ends, you'll be much happier.

No, I'll just watch it on a different station.