FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

You can get 12/1 that the partnership will be over before the end of 2013.  Ireland are 4/1 to qualify for the next Euros.  Any takers??  If you don't think they'll qualify it's 1/7.

The Worker

Quote from: AQMP on November 06, 2013, 09:09:46 AM
You can get 12/1 that the partnership will be over before the end of 2013.  Ireland are 4/1 to qualify for the next Euros.  Any takers??  If you don't think they'll qualify it's 1/7.

Where you see them odds to qualify? 8/11 is what I'm seeing.

AQMP

Quote from: The Worker on November 06, 2013, 10:02:26 AM
Quote from: AQMP on November 06, 2013, 09:09:46 AM

Where you see them odds to qualify? 8/11 is what I'm seeing.

William Hills had them up yesterday.  Might have had a re-think!

AQMP

yes, Hills now have 1/2 not to qualify and 6/4 to qualify

The Worker

6/4 is still a good price considering the expanded euros, however much depends on the group draws in February.

highorlow

QuoteWho were you hoping would take the hot seat?

International football is not like it used to be.

It's caught in a haze in-between the over hyped initial stages of the champions league and the various club match's.

A spirit needs to be brought into the operation by a manager whereby money, media and personal self serving aspects are separated.

Unfortunately the appointed 'team' does not separate any of the above and this is compounded by O'Neills initial stalling (was he waiting for a PL call up first) and Keane's remarks on TV last night along the lines of 'glad to be getting back into management' in other words it's a stepping stone for him to eventually try and get the Man U gig.

This approach doesn't work, the initial message does not bode well, but shur they are both a mil a year better off and meanwhile the best manager we ever had is still in the lower ranks of the championship. His time though, will come again I reckon.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ballinaman

Quote from: highorlow on November 06, 2013, 11:03:27 AM
QuoteWho were you hoping would take the hot seat?

International football is not like it used to be.

It's caught in a haze in-between the over hyped initial stages of the champions league and the various club match's.

A spirit needs to be brought into the operation by a manager whereby money, media and personal self serving aspects are separated.

Unfortunately the appointed 'team' does not separate any of the above and this is compounded by O'Neills initial stalling (was he waiting for a PL call up first) and Keane's remarks on TV last night along the lines of 'glad to be getting back into management' in other words it's a stepping stone for him to eventually try and get the Man U gig.

This approach doesn't work, the initial message does not bode well, but shur they are both a mil a year better off and meanwhile the best manager we ever had is still in the lower ranks of the championship. His time though, will come again I reckon.
So McCarthy you are saying, fair enough. Personally I rate O'Neill higher than him but that's just my opinion.

The big aspect that needs to be looked at it if O'Neill is willing to get involved at grassroots level of Irish football. Gone are the days where we could use United, Liverpool, Arsenal, ect to do our youth development for us. Very few Irish lads at top English clubs now. The LOI needs funding and promotion big time if we are going to compete down the line.

If O'Neill/Keane/McCarthy/Hector Cuper or whoever got the job wasn't tasked with looking at our youth development, then it's just papering over the cracks IMO. I don't think they were, Delaney is the real problem with Irish football, the sooner he's gone the better.

Main Street

Quote from: AQMP on November 06, 2013, 10:51:02 AM
yes, Hills now have 1/2 not to qualify and 6/4 to qualify
4/1 was ridiculously generous I would have broken a habit of a lifetime and had a punt at those odds.

We are most likely to be seeded in pot 2 for the draw.  A top 2 finish qualifies directly, with a fall back position on 3rd place play offs, to qualify. Trap finished in the top 2 in first 2 campaigns, players lost faith in Trap for the 3rd campaign, tactics, rigidity etc  wore down crucial elements of  morale of the squad
Even in that 3rd campaign, was there that much of an improvement needed to better Sweden and Austria?  Not in my opinion,. Sweden had the brilliance of Zlatan and built their modest team around him.
A new management team, a decent enough/average squad quality, plenty of time to fine tune effective game plans before a shot is fired in anger next September. Imo qualification is a done deal. The task at hand is to compete/give a game to the better teams and we have 2 years to work on that.

highorlow

QuoteSo McCarthy you are saying, fair enough. Personally I rate O'Neill higher than him but that's just my opinion.

I don't mind O'Neill and his Celtic record is remarkable. His initial perceived reluctance is what bothers me along with having Keane with him. Maybe Keane has changed and maybe O'Neill was entitled to bide his time.

I see now they are only 'committing' to 2 years, shur with any sort of arse kicking we should qualify for the next euro's so that's also a bit of a kop out.

Applesisapples

Quote from: highorlow on November 06, 2013, 03:48:19 PM
QuoteSo McCarthy you are saying, fair enough. Personally I rate O'Neill higher than him but that's just my opinion.

I don't mind O'Neill and his Celtic record is remarkable. His initial perceived reluctance is what bothers me along with having Keane with him. Maybe Keane has changed and maybe O'Neill was entitled to bide his time.

I see now they are only 'committing' to 2 years, shur with any sort of arse kicking we should qualify for the next euro's so that's also a bit of a kop out.
How do you know he was reluctant? Maybe Keane was the stumbling block, or some other aspect of control the FAI didn't want to concede?

Syferus

O'Neill let the FAI stew and probably (and obviously in the case of Keano) got more control and better terms.

highorlow

QuoteHow do you know he was reluctant?

I didn't exactly state as such as I don't know for sure.  I qualified it in my later post, i.e."initial perceived reluctance".

Anyhow there is enough anecdotal evidence to presume he was stalling or reluctant. Mick wouldn't have been contacted and lined up otherwise, would he?

I see the clown price among the comedy show has covered all bases this time, on the one hand he is saying it's the best thing for Irish soccer and at the same time saying it could be a potential train wreck.

The clown prince will be right now when Keane stages another walk out (probably blaming everyone but himself) or if they qualify.

Hound

Quote from: highorlow on November 07, 2013, 12:47:10 PM
QuoteHow do you know he was reluctant?

Anyhow there is enough anecdotal evidence to presume he was stalling or reluctant. Mick wouldn't have been contacted and lined up otherwise, would he?

Ipswich said they never received any approach from the FAI to speak to Mick.

highorlow

His agent in Ireland got an informal approach.

Fuzzman

Sorry maybe this link is better in here

Found this wee website

Naturally it's a bit biased but still an interesting read though I've only started it

http://www.soccer-ireland.com/saipan/index.htm