FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonah

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2013, 01:44:17 PM
I think with MON in charge now, the flow of players from the North declaring for the Republic will increase.
Ryan McLaughin - Liverpool would be one.

Is he someone who would want to play for ROI?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 01:50:11 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2013, 01:44:17 PM
I think with MON in charge now, the flow of players from the North declaring for the Republic will increase.
Ryan McLaughin - Liverpool would be one.

Is he someone who would want to play for ROI?

He doesn't want to be selected for Northern Ireland, so possibly yeah

Under Lights

Badly need a striker out of somewhere. Can we get anyone on the grandparent rule?

Connor Wickham is one I am sure has an Irish Father.

BennyCake

Quote from: Under Lights on November 04, 2013, 01:57:28 PM
Badly need a striker out of somewhere. Can we get anyone on the grandparent rule?

Because his name is Connor? Thousands of Brits have kids of that name these days.

lynchbhoy

players love playing under MON.
Keane is a stern taskmaster.

if they can get that balance right then this could go well.

Robbie Keane did call out for a serious manager to be installed.
he got two serious men.

Id hope Roy Keane can lead by example. Show the players what it takes to be the best.
No beter way of becomming better than to be shown by the best.

Martin ONeill will have them believing in themselves and wanting to play for the team.

Everything I have read or was told about MON is fantastic from a player perspective.
he makes players better, he makes groups of players far better than they have any right to be.

My only worry is that he cannot buy players so he might struggle a bit with that.
MON teams are generally never fantastic to watch, but as long as they play ok syle wise and more importantly win, then thas all I want.
I think we have a great group of young players- maybe a bit light in def area, but we have enough good midfielders, wingers and strikers that we could see qualification for next euro championships. then the next winter world cup! imo

So the combo MON and Roy Keane - MONK
does that mean the players will be MONK'eys ?

J OGorman

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 04, 2013, 01:12:11 PM
A career as Ireland's manager, a bit like politics is doomed to end in failure. But it can be fun at the start and maybe even through the middle. When Keane walked out on the team in Saipan I like a lot of fans at the time in my mind sided with McCarthy, the performances in spite of the loss of Keane reinforced that view. Recently when it's come up, I've tended to think that for someone like Keane to walk away from what would have been the pinnacle of his career was actually a courageous thing to do, knowing that it would likely draw the ire of at least half the country. Whether things were as bad as he said, I don't know but surely he desreves the benefit of the doubt. What he can bring to the table for Ireland is that drive for success, passion and honesty. He is always going to divide opinion on his character as much as O'Neill unites people on his...A dream team? Lets see.

what percentage of any top flight management posts don't end in failure? 2/3%

a country with very limited numbers player wise and no world class players has just got the services of of M O'N and Keane, 2 proven winners on and off the pitch, who will undoubtedly get the best out of our current squad (maybe intice a few to joy) and the amount of moaning and whinging is unreal. Chirst some can whinge to Olympic standards

If for nothing else, it will be interesting to see how they work together. Dunphy for 1 will be sitting a little tighter on his seat

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 04, 2013, 02:05:27 PM

he got two serious men.

Id hope Roy Keane can lead by example. Show the players what it takes to be the best.

Martin ONeill will have them believing in themselves and wanting to play for the team.

Everything I have read or was told about MON is fantastic from a player perspective.
he makes players better, he makes groups of players far better than they have any right to be.

My only worry is that he cannot buy players so he might struggle a bit with that.
MON teams are generally never fantastic to watch, but as long as they play ok syle wise and more importantly win, then thas all I want.
I think we have a great group of young players- maybe a bit light in def area, but we have enough good midfielders, wingers and strikers that we could see qualification for next euro championships. then the next winter world cup! imo

I like it!

Could also be MonRK as in Monarch, but we might stop the influx of players from the wee 6 if we call them that.
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2013, 02:00:20 PM

Because his name is Connor? Thousands of Brits have kids of that name these days.

His father is from the North, so he would be eligible. Martin O'Neill signed Wickham from Ipswich, wouldn't be a bad addition to the Squad if they were to make an approach,

lynchbhoy

Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 02:19:14 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 04, 2013, 02:05:27 PM

he got two serious men.

I like it!

Could also be MonRK as in Monarch, but we might stop the influx of players from the wee 6 if we call them that.
I did think of the MONRK'y regieme too - though I didnt like the sound of it.
However it might entice some of the north of Ireland unionist players to give up that team as the dead loss it is !

MON has ERII royal approval too so is entitled to be his own 'MonRK'hy'

Under Lights

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 04, 2013, 02:20:27 PM

His father is from the North, so he would be eligible. Martin O'Neill signed Wickham from Ipswich, wouldn't be a bad addition to the Squad if they were to make an approach,

Yes his father is defiantly from Ulster. There was talk some years ago about the North looking to approach him.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Under Lights on November 04, 2013, 04:43:12 PM

Yes his father is defiantly from Ulster. There was talk some years ago about the North looking to approach him.
We could give them Connor Sammon in exchange.

BennyCake

Quote from: Under Lights on November 04, 2013, 04:43:12 PM

Is that the 6 county or 9 county Ulster?  ;)

ballinaman

I see the fcuked up the medal engraving yesterday...eejits

muppet

Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2013, 06:02:36 PM
I see the fcuked up the medal engraving yesterday...eejits

Ah the good old IAF.

Roy is probably hoping they screw up the appointments and he ends up in charge.
MWWSI 2017

anglocelt39

anyway listening to all the great and good on the media today the best rationalisation I can find for the Roy as number two bit is that the FAI are taking a gamble, hoping to gain from the box office bit and get a few more through the stiles and hoping the thing doesn't go totally pear shaped in the process. Still at a bit of a loss to know what Roy is going to do and would be a bit sceptical on the line the Roy was MON's idea, why would he give the impression to the FAI that he needed Roy's help to do the job.

Read today the "team" will also include a coach, a set piece coach, a goalkeeping coach and Mike McGurn working on S and C. What does this leave for Roy, MON has a bloody good grasp of the English language so it's not as if Roy can be his interpreter at press conferences, maybe he can update MON and Delaney's Twitter feed.

It's a bit similar to the idea of JBM taking over the Tipp hurling job and bringing Davy Fitz in as his assistant. Difficult to understand, potentially great craic watching from the outside and possibly a messy ending.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds