FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2013, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 03, 2013, 10:11:05 PM
I can't wait to see Keano going ape shit at the Aviva some night when we're 3 down against Holland and the fans are still singing.

You must have been orgasmic when we were being jockeyed during the 2012 Euros.

The bit in bold, why do you write such patronising shite? It does't add to your argument in any way.

muppet

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 03, 2013, 11:44:06 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 03, 2013, 10:29:38 PM
I can't wait to see Keano going ape shit at the Aviva some night when we're 3 down against Holland and the fans are still singing.

You must have been orgasmic when we were being jockeyed during the 2012 Euros.

The bit in bold, why do you write such patronising shite? It does't add to your argument in any way.

It fitted the context of his post praying for a hammering by Holland or whoever.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: EC Unique on November 03, 2013, 10:52:22 PM
I must say. I'm enjoying this.  ;D

So am I.

They can't simply say: 'I detest him and that is why I don't want him near the Irish team'.

There could be no real argument with that.

However, instead we have this faux debate on the merits or lack thereof of his candidacy.

MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

In truth it's a great red herring. All the attention has been taken away from MON. He has suddenly become the subplot. Actually all the attention has been taken away from everybody except Keane. This could only happen with Roy and Ireland?

muppet

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 04, 2013, 12:40:16 AM
In truth it's a great red herring. All the attention has been taken away from MON. He has suddenly become the subplot. Actually all the attention has been taken away from everybody except Keane. This could only happen with Roy and Ireland?

I still find it a bit odd from O'Neill that he wanted Keane with him.

Having said that Trapp brought in former Celtic manager Liam Brady at the start. But I thought was as much a language and local player knowledge thing rather than anything else.

Surely MON has a good idea already of the Irish players available to him?
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 12:31:04 AM

So am I.

They can't simply say: 'I detest him and that is why I don't want him near the Irish team'.

However, instead we have this faux debate on the merits or lack thereof of his candidacy.

Everyone's enjoying it.  You're just missing the point that it is both possible to detest someone and think him poorly qualified.   I never particularly liked Jack Charlton after how he treated Brady, but he was unquestionably an effective manager.  Keane is not.  Maybe he'll be an effective assistant manager, but there's no evidence that that is so at this point.

muppet

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 04, 2013, 01:10:33 AM

So am I.

Everyone's enjoying it.  You're just missing the point that it is both possible to detest someone and think him poorly qualified.   I never particularly liked Jack Charlton after how he treated Brady, but he was unquestionably an effective manager.  Keane is not.  Maybe he'll be an effective assistant manager, but there's no evidence that that is so at this point.

Finally an admission.

And whatever Keane is, he is more than qualified to be Ireland's number 2.

Charlton's club management career consisted of bringing Middlesborough up to the top flight and Sheffield Wednesday to the second tier. He was hardly Alex Ferguson.

And Charlton should be compared to O'Neill, Keane should be compared to Maurice Setters. You keep missing this point yourself.
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

The point I'm missing, apparently, is that if the FAI has in the past hired people without a good prior record, it's not a mistake to do that again.

Sure, you can get lucky, but it isn't a good strategy.

So, what is it exactly that qualifies Keane (sorry, "more than qualifies") to be Ireland's no. 2 (phnarr..)?

Hound

The FAI never choose the No2. The No1 chooses the No2. End of story.

The FAI have no more money now than they did under the last regime so I can't see Keane getting any more money than Tardelli did.

BennyHarp

Since when did having an illustrious managerial career become an essential criteria to become Ireland's assistant manager? Tardelli's career in management was hardly glittering before he got the Irish role but his apoointment barely raised a ripple. If MON thinks Keane has something to offer and is happy to work alongside him then that's fair enough. Are we in the business of criticising MON's decisions before he even selects his first squad?
That was never a square ball!!

muppet

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 04, 2013, 01:53:43 AM
The point I'm missing, apparently, is that if the FAI has in the past hired people without a good prior record, it's not a mistake to do that again.

Sure, you can get lucky, but it isn't a good strategy.

So, what is it exactly that qualifies Keane (sorry, "more than qualifies") to be Ireland's no. 2 (phnarr..)?

No that isn't the point at all.

And....

Why don't you write to Martin O'Neill and ask him? I suspect he would get a good laugh from your letter.

MWWSI 2017

Jonah

So am I.

So anyone that doesn't want him near the Irish team must obviously detest him? There can be no other explanation?

muppet

Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 08:52:57 AM

So am I.

So anyone that doesn't want him near the Irish team must obviously detest him? There can be no other explanation?

I was referring to some of the posters here.

There must be a dozen reasonable arguments as to why Keane shouldn't be involved with the Irish set up. But very few here seem interested in any reasonable analysis of anything when it comes to Keane.
MWWSI 2017

Jonah

Quote from: muppet on November 04, 2013, 09:00:50 AM
Quote from: Jonah on November 04, 2013, 08:52:57 AM

So am I.

I was referring to some of the posters here.

There must be a dozen reasonable arguments as to why Keane shouldn't be involved with the Irish set up. But very few here seem interested in any reasonable analysis of anything when it comes to Keane.

Really?
They don't  think he's a good manager. His managerial record would prove them right.
The Ipswich players hadn't a good word to say about him.He criticised the Irish fans who payed alot of money to go to the Euros and were just enjoying themselves.
He also had a go at us all over the Henry incident. Didn't he have a go at John Delaney and The FAI in his book? And now he is going to work for them.
All valid reasons not to want him but it doesn't mean they all detest him just because you don't like the reasons they are offering as to why they don't want him.
I haven't heard you give any reasons why he would be good for the Irish team,all you have done is defend him blindly.

I think it's an interesting appointment but I can see it all ending badly.
Bad endings seem to follow Keane like a bad smell.Man U,Sunderland,Ipswich,Ireland.....
Surely you can see why people will think this will all end just as bad.

Premier Emperor

Why would fans still be singing when the team is getting tanked?
Loser mentality.