FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 16, 2013, 11:01:33 AM
Yeah, he looked white as a ghost.

It would be no harm if they removed Ronnie Whelan from commentary.

Ronnie was some player but he is hard to listen to, always comes across as bitter and angry that he missed the golden age of money.

Main Street

deiseach

If RTÉ were serious about analysis, Giles would be in the commentary box. When he's there we see the man who enjoys the game, lucidly explains what we have just seen, and is willing to admit to the odd mistake now and again. When he's in the studio we see a curmudgeonly old fart chundering on about the need to show the will to win, attack at all times, show the will to win, display moral courage, and show the will to win. Then again, RTÉ are not serious about analysis. It's all a pantomime, and it's possible that we'd all rather it this way.

Aaron Boone

As long as the pundits are being talked about then it's a job done for RTE, they don't care.
Same with Brolly this summer, RTE ecstatic at the publicity.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2013, 10:25:08 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 16, 2013, 07:31:18 AM
Quote from: Zulu on October 16, 2013, 01:21:32 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree but IMO O'Donoghue knew exactly what he was at and was asking a loaded question. Managers shouldn't have to put up with rubbish criticism silently and King put them and O'Donoghue in their place tonight and fait dues to him for doing it.

KIng did nothing Zulu except make a tit of himself. He should watch amateur GAA managers field questions in a far better manner.

Unprofessional, out of his depth and proved why he was never a contender.
Yeah right Indiana  ::) 
Sure King was uptight but  he actually  gave a very good account of himself and irish football in the interview.
The panel were exposed as hypocritical, over sensitive morons, but all that probably went over your head.
King didn't pick the players that the panel wanted him to pick and last week King called  them comedy clowns. And last night was just another night when Tony, armed with best bits from the panel discussion, with the excitement of a kid let lose in a sweatshop, sticks the mike in front of the manager and by 2nd questions gets out his depth. If it was just this one time, then I'd say King overreacted but this has been an RTE tactic for ages, fronted by somebody who doesn't have a clue about his questions, except that he knows they are written in bold type on his clipboard.

Since when does a manager ever pick the team that everybody agrees with? What matters is what King tried to do with the players he did select.
Last night the team made near 600 passes, hardly a hoof in sight, fullbacks receiving the ball from the goalie, midfielders turning up to receive the ball, players making space for themselves and trying to do intelligent stuff. All exactly what the panel had been moaning about for years. King played a formation which is similar with the way the youth teams play, it's a football philosophy, something which Giles had been preaching but he couldn't recognise it, because he doesn't  watch irish underage football, he probably hasn't got a clue who is the director of Irish football or what he's trying to put into place. King knows him and works with him.
Then you had the moan of why not play McClean?  Same ol' same ol', some player not selected is transformed into Pele-like sainthood and should have been picked.  Stokes is supposed by the panel not to have played  in that position at Celtic, which is poppycock. Which team at intl level is playing with 2 wide players at midfield? In a 4231 you don't have 2 wide players in the 3.
Why do you think Kazakhstan have not got hammered in the games they played against Germany and Sweden? 1 nil 2 nil 3 nil results.

But somehow in the space of 5 days, Ireland are supposed to score more than Germany, change totally the way they have been playing football for the past 5 years and put together a sparkling passing game, and because the rookie stand-in manager King could not manage it to champagne perfection he was pilloried by the panel in a personal, nasty and disrespectful manner.

Good post.

RTE sports punditry in GAA and soccer is a joke.

Bingo

Its been a while since Souness has joined the panel, he generally kept them in a reality check and on topic.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Bingo on October 16, 2013, 11:16:57 AM
Its been a while since Souness has joined the panel, he generally kept them in a reality check and on topic.

The only time they actually do it pretty well (or used to anyway) is when Ireland are not involved and they have competition (from BBC and ITV) for advertising revenue - it's actually quite good sometimes during the EC or WC.  The best analyst is Brian Kerr, though I don't think he'd sit in the same room as Dunphy. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

muppet

From Mike Bassett England Manager: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvL4Bzyumg

(Minor bad language - probably not safe for work)
MWWSI 2017

Asal Mor

Quote from: deiseach on October 16, 2013, 11:11:45 AM
If RTÉ were serious about analysis, Giles would be in the commentary box. When he's there we see the man who enjoys the game, lucidly explains what we have just seen, and is willing to admit to the odd mistake now and again. When he's in the studio we see a curmudgeonly old fart chundering on about the need to show the will to win, attack at all times, show the will to win, display moral courage, and show the will to win. Then again, RTÉ are not serious about analysis. It's all a pantomime, and it's possible that we'd all rather it this way.

RTE's market research obviously indicates we do. Hook, Dunphy, Spillane and Brolly could all move seamlessly onto the panels at X-factor or Strictly Come Dancing. I just watched the Noel King interview and panel debate on youtube. It was pretty bizarre how they got totally sidetracked into taking Noel King apart and defending the honor of the "well-respected journalist Tony O' Donoghue".

I'm not a huge fan of the obnoxious interview questions which are becoming the norm in Irish soccer and rugby but surely some retaliatory rudeness is fair enough on Noel King's part.

And Dunphy has clearly lost a yard of pace.

highorlow

QuoteOn another note, no harm to Dunphy but he looked rough last night and his speach was slow/slurred. Eyes very watery as well. Don't think it was drink but had the look of a man not well or on strong medication.

I think he was on the town launching his book on Monday night, it has been re-titled 'The Four Eamon Dunphy's'
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ballinaman

Gibson cruciate gone. Awful luck.

What ye make of Long's tweet before the match : "Cowboy,nuff said"

These lads shouldn't be let near twitter.

Hardy

I thought it was way beyond the usual buffoonery and sound-bite whoring. This was nasty. Those clowns had obviously decided in advance that King was to be personally and professionally assassinated whatever the results or tactics in the two matches or whatever he said. For example, Dunphy's main point in his summation of the game was completely ludicrous in the context that King is the temporary coach while the appointment of the full-time coach is awaited. His point? "We need a coach, and we need him soon". Wow - talk about insight.

One thing was laughable - the passionate defence of Tony O'Donoghue's courage and journalistic integrity in asking (somebody else's) tough questions. I don't watch much soccer, but I have seen a number of Tony O'Donoghue interviews with Trapattoni when he was clearly scared to ask him even the mildest of questions, even after the worst performances by the team. He would never have treated Trapattoni like he treated King.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on October 16, 2013, 12:43:46 PM
I thought it was way beyond the usual buffoonery and sound-bite whoring. This was nasty. Those clowns had obviously decided in advance that King was to be personally and professionally assassinated whatever the results or tactics in the two matches or whatever he said. For example, Dunphy's main point in his summation of the game was completely ludicrous in the context that King is the temporary coach while the appointment of the full-time coach is awaited. His point? "We need a coach, and we need him soon". Wow - talk about insight.

One thing was laughable - the passionate defence of Tony O'Donoghue's courage and journalistic integrity in asking (somebody else's) tough questions. I don't watch much soccer, but I have seen a number of Tony O'Donoghue interviews with Trapattoni when he was clearly scared to ask him even the mildest of questions, even after the worst performances by the team. He would never have treated Trapattoni like he treated King.

From where I'm standing that about sums it up. The criticism of King and his tactics is totally uncalled for and over the top and worst of all looked premeditated and personal. There might have been questionable selctions/positional elements but he brought back lads that should have been brought back and seemed to inject a bit of craic into it. The two results were as expected, creating a few decent chances against Germany and trying to pass the ball against Kazahstan were huge improvements on the previous era. For the first time in ages I actually felt like watching our team, despite the flaws and thanks to King for that at least. Of course he's not the long term solution but he did fine in the circumstances.

I have huge time for Shane Long in general but I'm disappointed to read about that tweet. Poor.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on October 16, 2013, 12:43:46 PM

Actually the trend was already set by RTE in the post match interviews with Trap by O'Donoghue, since mid 2012,
and Trap's stubbornness  not to use the translating skills of Manuela, meant that O'Donoghue could always sound smart and Trap be like Mr Magoo.

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on October 16, 2013, 01:10:52 PM
Actually the trend was already set by RTE in the post match interviews with Trap by O'Donoghue, since mid 2012,
and Trap's stubbornness  not to use the translating skills of Manuela, meant that O'Donoghue could always sound smart and Trap be like Mr Magoo.

Surely Chico Marx?