FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: ballinaman on October 14, 2013, 04:52:43 PM
Savage trip. Shite football but that's been the story since the match in Estonia so I'm well used to it at this stage.

Good article here I thought...

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/friday-night-confirmed-where-the-republic-of-ireland-s-and-anthony-stokes-level-is-1.1559373?page=1

I see Johan Cruyffs odd's to be next Ireland manager and dropping big time, fair bit of money going on him obviously... :o

I think that article is horse shit. He looked alright against Barcelona. Nasty bitter article.

Main Street

Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2013, 02:41:55 AM
Quote from: Main Street on October 13, 2013, 06:03:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 13, 2013, 02:15:39 PM
Just wondering if there has ever been a country in Europe with a weaker infrastructure and a weaker domestic game than our own that have qualified for the world cup in the past? The only one i can think of is Northern Ireland!
Perhaps Slovenia - 2 world cups 1 Euros,     one more Finals than us, over the same timespan.
Maybe their best team is way better than the LOI best team but the rest of the Sovenian league would not be up to much. Crowds of <10,000 for Slovenia's home games.

They only became independent in 1991!
Thanks Muppet I was aware that they gained independence sometime after the Berlin Wall fell, however FWIW,I was referring to the timespan, starting from when Slovenia first qualified for a Finals  in 2002, to the present time.

mouview

Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2013, 07:33:43 PM
Savage trip. Shite football but that's been the story since the match in Estonia so I'm well used to it at this stage.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/friday-night-confirmed-where-the-republic-of-ireland-s-and-anthony-stokes-level-is-1.1559373?page=1

I see Johan Cruyffs odd's to be next Ireland manager and dropping big time, fair bit of money going on him obviously... :o

I think that article is horse shit. He looked alright against Barcelona. Nasty bitter article.

It's accurate though. Stokes is a seasoned pro at this stage and should have worked on his game well enough by now to be able to take his chances in front of goal much better than he did. His efforts did nothing to dispel the beliefs abroad that Ireland are rubbish at football.

Itchy

Maybe nerves played a part or having too much time on the ball in Scotland. Still think he is ok, no need to go bashing him on one performance.

Main Street

Quote from: mouview on October 14, 2013, 08:23:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 14, 2013, 07:33:43 PM

It's accurate though. Stokes is a seasoned pro at this stage and should have worked on his game well enough by now to be able to take his chances in front of goal much better than he did. His efforts did nothing to dispel the beliefs abroad that Ireland are rubbish at football.
I agree with Itchy, the article is horse shit, it's written by a guy who struggles to understand basics of football and yet professes to know so much. That's just one reason why it's horse shit.
I suppose there is a context somewhere where a player just walks into an intl team and takes every chance going  in his first real competitive game, against a top class team and goalkeeper. Those who have watched Stokes this season know he has the skill to put away those chances. He's already shoved one in at a tight angle in the SPL. So, he's not lacking the skill to do the job. On another night he would have got one or two of those.

he ends the article with
"If we keep laying the blame on stubborn managers and incompetent systems, it lets too many players off the hook".
Well Mr Clerkin ( you monaghan retard)  if a Trap team would have been able to create 5 clearcut chances against Germany, 2 of which stretched the goalkeeper to making a top class save, then you might have a point. But we all know a Trap team would have been hoofing the ball all night and not likely to have created one chance on target  On another night, Stokes would have taken at least one of them. 
Of course we were outplayed against Germany but a rookie stand - in coach managed a team to create more in one game than Trap managed in all the away games. We had no shots on target in Sweden , maybe we had 2 in Austria.

From the Bunker

Looks like the 'Holy Grail' of punditry seem a bit touchy when the criticism is turned the other way towards them!

On a foot note Group E must be one of the weakest World cup qualifying groups ever?

gerrykeegan

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 15, 2013, 10:18:50 PM
Looks like the 'Holy Grail' of punditry seem a bit touchy when the criticism is turned the other way towards them!

On a foot note Group E must be one of the weakest World cup qualifying groups ever?

The panel and the interview with King was 10 times more entertaining than the match
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

rodney trotter

imtommygunn

Awkward...

The face of robbie keane when the defender narrowly got in front of him to og and steal his goalwas amusing. He was disgusted.

Zulu

RTE are spoofers and Noel King was dead right to call both O'Donoghue and the spoofers on their nonsense analysis.

Asal Mor

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 15, 2013, 10:30:21 PM
Interview for anyone who missed it, http://t.co/qU3UyUeS3l

Fair play to him. Why not give him the job? I've always thought that bringing in a big name is a waste of money when they only get to work with the players for a few days a few times a year. King is a strong personality and he wants them to pass the ball. I'd give him a chance. He's dead right about the spoofing. I remember Bord na Mona Man pointing out before that Johnny Giles often starts his analysis of more obscure teams with "I don't know much about them Bill" and Dunphy doesn't bother analysing the game at all. He thinks his emotional rants make better viewing.

Itchy

I thought they did ok. Tried to pass and won easy enough. I'd have liked to see sub's on earlier that's the only thing. The negativity in the studio is ridiculous, what do they expect?

ballinaman

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 15, 2013, 11:07:05 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on October 15, 2013, 10:30:21 PM
Interview for anyone who missed it, http://t.co/qU3UyUeS3l

Fair play to him. Why not give him the job? I've always thought that bringing in a big name is a waste of money when they only get to work with the players for a few days a few times a year. King is a strong personality and he wants them to pass the ball. I'd give him a chance. He's dead right about the spoofing. I remember Bord na Mona Man pointing out before that Johnny Giles often starts his analysis of more obscure teams with "I don't know much about them Bill" and Dunphy doesn't bother analysing the game at all. He thinks his emotional rants make better viewing.
He's a very poor manager. I go to U21 games with Mr King at the helm and he's out of his depth at international big time. He's had a bit of craic being interim manager and fair play to him but no way in ta jaysus hell should be be let anywhere near that senior team again.

The starting 11 was very disappointing and very frustrating.

The lack of width and definitely showed in the first half as our players didn't know what to do with the ball.

I don't blame any players for their performance as this was all down the horrific tactics and poor management.Reid at 10, Doyle on the right,stokes on the left...keano up top...jesus.

Can you imagine if Trap played those players in both these games?

The lack of subs as well was an absolute joke.

Long not getting any game time and Doyle a league 1 player getting 180 mins must be very frustrating for him.

AFS

Quote from: Zulu on October 15, 2013, 10:56:08 PM
RTE are spoofers and Noel King was dead right to call both O'Donoghue and the spoofers on their nonsense analysis.

All for anyone having a pop at the RTE comedy sketch, but King didn't pick his moment very well. The question that set him off was a perfectly reasonable one.

highorlow

QuoteFair play to him. Why not give him the job?

I take it that's a wind up? He played right into the lads hands back in the studio, very poor interview and no need for it really. I can understand his frustration with the negative shit but he should have just ignored it.

Anyone reckon weather Tony O'Donoghue is talking 'off the cuff' with his questions or just following prompts from people, he comes across as very knowledgeable on tactics etc.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go