FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

King will take charge of the last two qualifiers against Kazakhstan & Germany while the FAI carries out an "on-going comprehensive assessment" of the managerial position.

AZOffaly

For "ongoing comprehensive assessment" read "talk to Denis O'Brien and other rich dudes, looking for money to pay someone good".

Shamrock Shore

Talking to a former soccer international (60 - 70s vintage) at a do recently.

He has no time for Martin O'Neill and he would like to see someone like Frank Rijkaard offered the position.

I must say I could not disagree with him. He claims O'Neill is 'old school' and we need a new way of thinking. Now I know that the poor lamb senior players were driven demented by Brian Kerr's insistence on preparation (paralysis by analysis) with dvds to bate the band. Staunton was a clown and Trapp's message was lost in translation. O'Neill seems to be a 'hands-off' manager that lets the minions do the spade work for him so maybe that's no use either.

Perhaps Rijkaard would be a good call.

Wee Roddy

Are you serious? Do you think he would go near Ireland with a bargepole? Be realistic.

Applesisapples

Martin O'Neill may be hands off, to my mind that is a benefit in that he will consult those in his backroom team who are better tacticians etc. What O'Neill definitely is, is a motivator and man manager in the Brian Clough mold, getting the best from limited talent. Unfortunately with the rise of Rugby and GAA soccer is on the hind t*t, couple that with the influx of foreigners into England the opportunities for Irish/Scottish/Welsh average players has diminished. The result is a paucity of players playing at the top level. In this regard I think either O'Neill or McCarthy fit the bill.

Main Street

Quote from: Wee Roddy on September 24, 2013, 09:53:17 AM
Are you serious? Do you think he would go near Ireland with a bargepole? Be realistic.
You mean he wouldn't go nearer than a long spit?
Actually Rijkaard is on the slide since he departed from Barca. He has to do a few nixers in the MLS  to keep his lifestyle bubbling along, the Ireland job is well ahead of his current station in intl football.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on September 24, 2013, 10:07:13 AM
Martin O'Neill may be hands off, to my mind that is a benefit in that he will consult those in his backroom team who are better tacticians etc. What O'Neill definitely is, is a motivator and man manager in the Brian Clough mold, getting the best from limited talent. Unfortunately with the rise of Rugby and GAA soccer is on the hind t*t, couple that with the influx of foreigners into England the opportunities for Irish/Scottish/Welsh average players has diminished. The result is a paucity of players playing at the top level. In this regard I think either O'Neill or McCarthy fit the bill.

Strange comment on a GAA board :D

T Fearon

Personally I dont think O'Neill will take the Irish job, the players aren't there and he can't afford another howler. I think he will end his career at Forest, where he had such success as a player.

J OGorman

NOEL, NOEL....NOEL, NOEL..BORN IS THE KING OF THE BRANDYWELL!

We'll qualify yet!

johnneycool

Where's diamond Dave O'Leary when you need him? Is he still managing a ladies team in the middle east or somewhere?

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 24, 2013, 10:32:42 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on September 24, 2013, 10:07:13 AM

Strange comment on a GAA board :D
Not strange at all. I am simply pointing out that soccer is a poor third in Ireland and as such the quality of player is not there. As a GAA person first and foremost I am not necessarily sadden by this fact.

AZOffaly

I'm joking. It just reads funny that 'Unfortunately with the rise of ....... GAA, soccer is on the hind tit'. I know what you meant.

Main Street

Noel is just the temp. for the senior job, but who knows what might transpire.

I see he has a 30 year playing career with about 10 clubs, a 28 year managing career, and is still only 56 ;D

His wiki page states
'in February 1990 King was awarded undisclosed damages in settlement of his libel action against the BBC'
what was that about?

Celt_Man

Doyle, Gibson, Stokes & Andy Reid IN
Cox and Sammon OUT
Stephen Ireland NOT READY YET

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0930/477350-ireland/

Darron Gibson, Anthony Stokes and Andy Reid have all been included in Noel King's Ireland squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Germany and Kazakhstan.

Robbie Brady has also been included but may undergo a hernia operation during the international break.
Wolves striker Kevin Doyle was also named in the provisional 26-man squad announced by interim manager Noel King today.

Forwards Simon Cox and Conor Sammon have both been left out.

Defenders Richard Dunne and John O'Shea, who are suspended for the Germany tie on 11 October, will come into the squad for the Kazakhstan game four days later.

King also confirmed he has spoken with Stephen Ireland and that the Stoke midfielder feels he is not ready to return to the set-up at the moment but indicated that he would like to return at some stage.

Jon Walters is also included but the FAI said that he may withdraw due to a groin injury.

Squad: Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O'Brien, St Ledger, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, Clark, McShane, Gibson, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, A Reid, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Quinn, Hoolahan, Long, Keane, Walters, Doyle, Stokes.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

johnneycool

Quote from: Celt_Man on September 30, 2013, 01:29:11 PM
Doyle, Gibson, Stokes & Andy Reid IN
Cox and Sammon OUT
Stephen Ireland NOT READY YET

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0930/477350-ireland/

Darron Gibson, Anthony Stokes and Andy Reid have all been included in Noel King's Ireland squad for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Germany and Kazakhstan.

Robbie Brady has also been included but may undergo a hernia operation during the international break.
Wolves striker Kevin Doyle was also named in the provisional 26-man squad announced by interim manager Noel King today.

Forwards Simon Cox and Conor Sammon have both been left out.

Defenders Richard Dunne and John O'Shea, who are suspended for the Germany tie on 11 October, will come into the squad for the Kazakhstan game four days later.

King also confirmed he has spoken with Stephen Ireland and that the Stoke midfielder feels he is not ready to return to the set-up at the moment but indicated that he would like to return at some stage.

Jon Walters is also included but the FAI said that he may withdraw due to a groin injury.

Squad: Forde, Westwood, Randolph, O'Brien, St Ledger, Wilson, Coleman, Kelly, Clark, McShane, Gibson, Whelan, McCarthy, Green, A Reid, McGeady, Pilkington, McClean, Brady, Quinn, Hoolahan, Long, Keane, Walters, Doyle, Stokes.

Dunphy will be creaming himself if the midfield has Hoolahan and A Reid in it, Germany better beware as these two lads are game changers.