FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

mouview's idea is intriguing though isn't it... Delaney and the whole lot of the head men having to leave. The argument for Keane just got that little bit stronger!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 12, 2013, 10:21:05 PM
mouview's idea is intriguing though isn't it... Delaney and the whole lot of the head men having to leave. The argument for Keane just got that little bit stronger!

Keano would be a thousand times better than the Gaffer, though even a stick attached to a pillow with some gaffer tape would probably achieve that.

They need someone who can great a bunker mentality if they are even going to flirt with qualification in the next four years.

qubdub

Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 10:05:16 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 09:25:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 07:50:24 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 07:24:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 06:08:33 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 12, 2013, 02:49:18 PM
Roy Keane should be given the job, no question. He'll f*ck things upside down so completely that the entire FAI head honchos will have no choice but to walk along with himself. Then whatever comes afterwards will seem like progress, hopefully by which time a few middling decent players might be coming through.

Yes... let's get a man with a terrible managerial CV and a history of falling out with people to come and take a country which he left just before the World Cup to replace a manager who had previously fallen out with a lot of the players.

He shouldn't be let near it! Actually he should be tried for treason!!!
Terrible CV? He has managed a grand total of two clubs! As for a history of falling out with people, he'd be a manager, not a team mate. How many managers do you think try to be mates with their players!

He would make a good candidate in my view (not that I think he will go for it/be wanted by the FAI).

As for the treason comment, you may apply that to every dipstick that decided they didn't want to play in friendlies/meaningless qualifiers due to 'injury' or 'tiredness'!

Aye because walking out on your country at a World Cup is the same as a player not going to a friendly against China or Georgia etc  ::)
Leaving the team because the set up is and has constantly been a complete joke; or not showing up for a game to represent your country because you can't be f*cking bothered to fly back to Dublin to take part (but gladly show up if there's a tournament to qualify for). I wouldn't say there's a lot in it.

Well I would say there is a huge difference,maybe your blind loyalty to King Keano won't let you see that.

Sure wasn't it the great Roy himself who slagged off Shay Given and Robbie Keane for turning up at every friendly game?
Looking for a pat on the back he said is all they were doing.
It's a pity he didn't have the same honour and pride in representing his country as Given and Robbie.
I don't have a blind loyalty to Keane, a lot of the time he can be a dick, I just don't let my little club loyalties get in the way of judging the man for what he was as a player and what those attributes could bring as an international manager. As a player he demanded the best, played with the best and enjoyed huge success with Man Utd (maybe that's why ya hate him?); attributes I have no doubt he'd bring to the Ireland team. (He might even put manners on a few of the wigs).
May 2002 was hardly his finest hour but without him Ireland would probably not have been in the position to qualify. Him walking out was certainly vindicated when the FAI launched a report into the shortcomings within the setup.

And it's funny you mention Shay Given; he just came out tonight and backed Roy as a candidate for the job.

Yeah that's it that's why I dislike him because he played for Manchester United. ::) Spare me the bullshit please.
There is no one could doubt his excellence as a footballer.I certainly never have and every on here knows my opinion on Roy Keane but I have never questioned how good a footballer he was.

btw I haven't mentioned anything about Roy Keane becoming Republic of Ireland manager,so I don't care if Shay Given backed him or not.

I took objection to you saying a player missing a friendly was the same as Roy Keane walking out on his country at the biggest football or even sporting tournament there is.

Also he wasn't vindicated in walking out on his country,he was vindicated in what he had to say and he was 100% right in that regard but he shouldn't have walked.
You mentioned him slagging Shay Given, I replied with him supporting Keane as a candidate, so the slagging can't have been that bad?

As for a player missing a game for their country over some fake injury because they can't be arsed playing - it's absolutely despicable in my book, granted the stakes aren't as high as a WC.

You might not mind players coming and going as they please; making themselves available for the important/glamour games to try and further their club careers but f**king off for those that don't matter. I think it's pathetic to be honest.

rodney trotter

Keane would be better then Staunton but that wouldn't be hard. Still wouldn't have him as boss, his record at club level, left Sunderland when results started to go poor. Fell out with lots of players at Ipswich and was then sacked. Hardly what Ireland need.

I see Gus Hiddink is in the frame, if O Neill doesn't get it, then Hiddink would an outstanding choice. Top class record.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 12, 2013, 11:06:38 PM
Keane would be better then Staunton but that wouldn't be hard. Still wouldn't have him as boss, his record at club level, left Sunderland when results started to go poor. Fell out with lots of players at Ipswich and was then sacked. Hardly what Ireland need.

I see Gus Hiddink is in the frame, if O Neill doesn't get it, then Hiddink would an outstanding choice. Top class record.

If Hiddink was actually willing to do the job the FAI better be on the phone to Dennis O'Brien and getting their collection cap Fed Ex'd to him immediately. One of the best coaches in the world.

Captain Obvious

Ireland will never have a manager with CV like Trapattoni again, he won it all with Juventus and then went on to win league titles for Inter Milan,Bayern Munich,Benfica,Salzburg.  Did he really see potential in this Irish side or did he get blinded by the money offered?

qubdub

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2013, 11:12:16 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 12, 2013, 11:06:38 PM

If Hiddink was actually willing to do the job the FAI better be on the phone to Dennis O'Brien and getting their collection cap Fed Ex'd to him immediately. One of the best coaches in the world.
I'd agree with that. Not sure the FAI could afford him though even with O'Brien propping up the wage bill?

laoislad

Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 10:50:37 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 10:05:16 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 09:25:27 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 07:50:24 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 07:24:21 PM
Quote from: laoislad on September 12, 2013, 06:08:33 PM
Quote from: qubdub on September 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 12, 2013, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: mouview on September 12, 2013, 02:49:18 PM
Roy Keane should be given the job, no question. He'll f*ck things upside down so completely that the entire FAI head honchos will have no choice but to walk along with himself. Then whatever comes afterwards will seem like progress, hopefully by which time a few middling decent players might be coming through.

Yes... let's get a man with a terrible managerial CV and a history of falling out with people to come and take a country which he left just before the World Cup to replace a manager who had previously fallen out with a lot of the players.

He shouldn't be let near it! Actually he should be tried for treason!!!
Terrible CV? He has managed a grand total of two clubs! As for a history of falling out with people, he'd be a manager, not a team mate. How many managers do you think try to be mates with their players!

He would make a good candidate in my view (not that I think he will go for it/be wanted by the FAI).

As for the treason comment, you may apply that to every dipstick that decided they didn't want to play in friendlies/meaningless qualifiers due to 'injury' or 'tiredness'!

Aye because walking out on your country at a World Cup is the same as a player not going to a friendly against China or Georgia etc  ::)
Leaving the team because the set up is and has constantly been a complete joke; or not showing up for a game to represent your country because you can't be f*cking bothered to fly back to Dublin to take part (but gladly show up if there's a tournament to qualify for). I wouldn't say there's a lot in it.

Well I would say there is a huge difference,maybe your blind loyalty to King Keano won't let you see that.

Sure wasn't it the great Roy himself who slagged off Shay Given and Robbie Keane for turning up at every friendly game?
Looking for a pat on the back he said is all they were doing.
It's a pity he didn't have the same honour and pride in representing his country as Given and Robbie.
I don't have a blind loyalty to Keane, a lot of the time he can be a dick, I just don't let my little club loyalties get in the way of judging the man for what he was as a player and what those attributes could bring as an international manager. As a player he demanded the best, played with the best and enjoyed huge success with Man Utd (maybe that's why ya hate him?); attributes I have no doubt he'd bring to the Ireland team. (He might even put manners on a few of the wigs).
May 2002 was hardly his finest hour but without him Ireland would probably not have been in the position to qualify. Him walking out was certainly vindicated when the FAI launched a report into the shortcomings within the setup.

And it's funny you mention Shay Given; he just came out tonight and backed Roy as a candidate for the job.

Yeah that's it that's why I dislike him because he played for Manchester United. ::) Spare me the bullshit please.
There is no one could doubt his excellence as a footballer.I certainly never have and every on here knows my opinion on Roy Keane but I have never questioned how good a footballer he was.

btw I haven't mentioned anything about Roy Keane becoming Republic of Ireland manager,so I don't care if Shay Given backed him or not.

I took objection to you saying a player missing a friendly was the same as Roy Keane walking out on his country at the biggest football or even sporting tournament there is.

Also he wasn't vindicated in walking out on his country,he was vindicated in what he had to say and he was 100% right in that regard but he shouldn't have walked.
You mentioned him slagging Shay Given, I replied with him supporting Keane as a candidate, so the slagging can't have been that bad?

As for a player missing a game for their country over some fake injury because they can't be arsed playing - it's absolutely despicable in my book, granted the stakes aren't as high as a WC.

You might not mind players coming and going as they please; making themselves available for the important/glamour games to try and further their club careers but f**king off for those that don't matter. I think it's pathetic to be honest.

More pathetic than your best player and Captain walking out on his country at a World Cup Finals obviously  ::)
And what is funny the man you are defending actually slagged off players for turning up for these friendlies.
Goodnight.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 12, 2013, 11:13:16 PM
Ireland will never have a manager with CV like Trapattoni again, he won it all with Juventus and then went on to win league titles for Inter Milan,Bayern Munich,Benfica,Salzburg.  Did he really see potential in this Irish side or did he get blinded by the money offered?

Bit of both. He obviously wanted to set the international record straight after how his term as Italy manager ended. Trapp was a professional and despite all the yap about him not going to enough matches he did his job to a higher standard than almost all the managers we've ever had in our history.

Gibson's comment in particular reflected terribly on him. Darron, remind us how much you've done in your career, bench-warm for Man U and play one season for Everton? I suppose that qualifies you to throw the most successful manager of the modern era after Sir Ferg under the bus for not picking you enough?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2013, 11:33:12 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 12, 2013, 11:13:16 PM

Bit of both. He obviously wanted to set the international record straight after how his term as Italy manager ended. Trapp was a professional and despite all the yap about him not going to enough matches he did his job to a higher standard than almost all the managers we've ever had in our history.

Gibson's comment in particular reflected terribly on him. Darron, remind us how much you've done in your career, bench-warm for Man U and play one season for Everton? I suppose that qualifies you to throw the most successful manager of the modern era after Sir Ferg under the bus for not picking you enough?

He was 69 when he took over Ireland, perhaps felt he wanted a break from day to day club football after finishing off with Salzburg ,before taking over Ireland. Damian Duff, Given, Robbie Keane were at their peak then and playing good football so there was some talent there when he took over, then the dramatic play off defeat against France. He did a very good job getting the team organized. I suppose that was to be expected given his CV and salary. Lasted 18 months went down hill though.

AFS

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2013, 11:33:12 PM

Yes. Of all those Trapattoni supposedly 'fell out with' or didn't take a shine to, Gibson must be the one with which it is most difficult to sympathise. The impression given is that any breakdown in their relationship was almost entirely due to the player's hugely over-inflated sense of self worth. How long until Martinez is on the end of some similar tantrums and cheap shots now that Everton seem to have expanded their range of midfield options from last season?

blewuporstuffed

while Gibson is no world beater, he had played for United in the PL & CL and was playing regularly in the premier league for everton, where as players such as paul green who where struggling to find a club at all were being picked ahead of him.
Gibson may not be the answer to all our problems but he is a step up from some of the league 1 & championship players Trap was selecting.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Billys Boots

I think, like Belgium did, we should forget about qualifying for tournments for the next ten years and get our emerging talent programme right - it's at the coaching and grassroots level where we're really at the bottom of the pile. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

thewobbler

Belgium still haven't achieved diddly squat with their supposed youth programme. One swallow doesn't make a summer and they have yet to prove anything. It's only if they produce another generation of top class players after this one, then they're worth benchmarking against.

Billys Boots

Quote from: thewobbler on September 13, 2013, 09:14:50 AM
Belgium still haven't achieved diddly squat with their supposed youth programme. One swallow doesn't make a summer and they have yet to prove anything. It's only if they produce another generation of top class players after this one, then they're worth benchmarking against.

They, as a small nation, have produced an international team that will qualify for the World Cup, and a generation of top class players.  I don't think they can aspire to win it, but I think they'll give a good account of themselves.  And I think that their system, like that of their neighbours Holland, will keep producing good players. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...