FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Quote from: johnneycool on September 11, 2013, 01:42:00 PM
The only free flowing football Ireland will see for the foreseeable future is flowing into the Irish net.

As bad as some of those lads are, Walters, Sammon, Green, Wilson, Whelan etc, there's no world beaters waiting in the wings to suddenly elevate Ireland from being also rans.

What about Andy Reid?  ;)

nrico2006

The only free flowing football Ireland will see for the foreseeable future is flowing into the Irish net.

As bad as some of those lads are, Walters, Sammon, Green, Wilson, Whelan etc, there's no world beaters waiting in the wings to suddenly elevate Ireland from being also rans.

All that I have been seeing lately is 'Get Trap Out' in every paper or facebook status I look at.  People are really clueless if they think whoever comes next will do a significantly better job than Trap.  The Ireland squad is poor and there is nothing obviously brilliant coming through (unless Carruthers and Grealish progress and still want to play for their great great grandas countries).  As has been mentioned often enough over the past year or two, the UK and Ireland are being left way behind in the type of technical player that is required to be successful today.  Even the smaller eastern european countries are all producing players who can keep the ball and play intricate passes, yet we are still with the mentality of get the ball and get to the goal as quickly as possible which results in Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and NI all losing the ball more often than they have it.  Things need to structurally change from a coaching perspective at under-age level; play games with less focus on winning, less players on a team, incorporate futsol even but a big change in direction is required as the way football is played now is not how it was played 20 years ago which is what the home nations still strive to play.

Martin O'Neill will probably get it, but as Bingo said he is apparently not as successful without Robertson (as was the case at Sunderland) and he is hardly a tactical genius.  No manager is going to make a big difference anyway, and it I am sure the Trap haters will look a bit foolish when in two years time the Ireland team will still be at the same level they are now.  Imagine how bad the Irish team would be if you took out the non-Irish players from the squad.  How many of the 1st choice 11 are English/Scottish?  For a sport that is so popular in this country, seriously bad at producing outstanding talents. 

Dunphy is still longing for Andy Reid, Wes Hoolahan and Stephen Ireland to have starring roles in the Ireland team.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

muppet

This is the team that beat France over 90 minutes in Paris in 2009 in the play off while playing great football.

Given

O'Shea, St. Ledger, Dunne, Kilbane

Lawrence, Whelan, Andrews, Duff

Keane, Doyle.

This is what started last night:

Forde

Coleman, Dunne, O'Shea, Wilson

Walters, Whelan, McCarthy, McClean

Long, Keane

Arguably we had more ball players on the field than we had in 2009. (Paul MacShane came on in 2009!) Granted Walters is a daft selection on the right and Duff was in a different class but the rest should be able to play as well or better than their counterparts in 2009. The difference comes down to the way Trapp sent the two teams out to play. The 2009 team needed to win and went for it. Last nights team hoofed it.
MWWSI 2017

bluenosebandit

Quote from: glens73 on September 11, 2013, 12:37:04 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on September 11, 2013, 12:16:24 PM
Paddy Power Prices according to BreakingNews.ie

Next Ireland Manager
4/5 Martin O'Neill
7/1 Brian McDermott
10/1 Mick McCarthy
10/1 René Muelensteen
14/1 Roy Keane
16/1 Chris Hughton
22/1 Harry Redknapp
25/1 Liam Brady
25/1 Marco Tardelli
25/1 Martin Jol
25/1 Paul Jewell
25/1 Kenny Dalglish
25/1 Pat Fenlon
25/1 Owen Coyle

Why is he on the list?

Why are many of theseon the list?
Brian McDermott, Chris Hughton, Rene Muelenstein, Harry Redknapp, paul jewell, owen coyle have all recently taken up new managerial jobs and there isnt a hope in hell the FAI will buy any of them out of their contracts.

Interesting that Mick McCarthy, in a similar position to the above, has a clause in his contract that allows him to take a job at international level without paying any buy-out clause.
My money would be on O'Neill (as i think he is desperate to get back into management) or as a total outside dark horse David O'Leary.

deiseach

Quote from: bluenosebandit on September 11, 2013, 02:17:58 PM
My money would be on O'Neill (as i think he is desperate to get back into management) or as a total outside dark horse David O'Leary.

I'd start officially supporting England.

seafoid

johnneycool

Quote from: Bingo on September 11, 2013, 01:48:42 PM

What about Andy Reid?  ;)

Is he still playing for Barcelona?

rodney trotter

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 11, 2013, 01:56:53 PM

All that I have been seeing lately is 'Get Trap Out' in every paper or facebook status I look at.  People are really clueless if they think whoever comes next will do a significantly better job than Trap.  The Ireland squad is poor and there is nothing obviously brilliant coming through (unless Carruthers and Grealish progress and still want to play for their great great grandas countries).  As has been mentioned often enough over the past year or two, the UK and Ireland are being left way behind in the type of technical player that is required to be successful today.  Even the smaller eastern european countries are all producing players who can keep the ball and play intricate passes, yet we are still with the mentality of get the ball and get to the goal as quickly as possible which results in Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales and NI all losing the ball more often than they have it.  Things need to structurally change from a coaching perspective at under-age level; play games with less focus on winning, less players on a team, incorporate futsol even but a big change in direction is required as the way football is played now is not how it was played 20 years ago which is what the home nations still strive to play.

Martin O'Neill will probably get it, but as Bingo said he is apparently not as successful without Robertson (as was the case at Sunderland) and he is hardly a tactical genius.  No manager is going to make a big difference anyway, and it I am sure the Trap haters will look a bit foolish when in two years time the Ireland team will still be at the same level they are now.  Imagine how bad the Irish team would be if you took out the non-Irish players from the squad.  How many of the 1st choice 11 are English/Scottish?  For a sport that is so popular in this country, seriously bad at producing outstanding talents. 

Dunphy is still longing for Andy Reid, Wes Hoolahan and Stephen Ireland to have starring roles in the Ireland team.

And why wouldn't he, at least Hoolahan can control a ball and pick out a pass. Paul Green looks like he is a allergic to it. You make best of what you have, not selecting players who clearly aren't up to it
Might not be lots of home grown Irish players in the Squad, You should look at the German Squad, make up of Poles and Turks.

seafoid

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 11, 2013, 02:47:06 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on September 11, 2013, 01:56:53 PM

And why wouldn't he, at least Hoolahan can control a ball and pick out a pass. Paul Green looks like he is a allergic to it. You make best of what you have, not selecting players who clearly aren't up to it
Might not be lots of home grown Irish players in the Squad, You should look at the German Squad, make up of Poles and Turks.
Dunphy should put his name forward. He could appoint a few other people who "love Irish football™"
Love is the most important ingredient.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2013, 03:02:38 PM
Dunphy should put his name forward. He could appoint a few other people who "love Irish football™"

Don't forget passion. Because the Swedes and the Austrians (among others) are incapable of being passionate about their country.

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on September 11, 2013, 03:04:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 11, 2013, 03:02:38 PM

Don't forget passion. Because the Swedes and the Austrians (among others) are incapable of being passionate about their country.

Dunphy also knows about our rich history of football in this country, some great footballing people and footballing public, who deserve better. No other country has this either.

imtommygunn

While admittedly the players aren't exactly there at the minute with a player pool so small you have to get your best players playing and Trap never did that. There were too many fallings out with too many players. Apart from Stephen Ireland who would fall out with his own shadow I thought Trap had a stubbornness which caused a lot of them.

If you get Darren Gibson in instead of Whelan, you play two wingers, you maybe go 4-5-1 and have McCarthy and someone like Houlahan playing behind a striker the team could do alright.

Robbie Keane is past it and Walters should not be let near the wing yet he continues to go with these players.

International football is at the minute very poor. If you set up right you could do well in it.

In saying all that he got us to the euros and he got us to world cup playoffs so did some things right obviously and should be thanked for it but I think his time has come.

trileacman

5th straight Irish manager who was hounded from the job.

But sure the managers are always right and the players can never be blamed.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

deiseach

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 11, 2013, 03:15:07 PM
While admittedly the players aren't exactly there at the minute with a player pool so small you have to get your best players playing and Trap never did that. There were too many fallings out with too many players. Apart from Stephen Ireland who would fall out with his own shadow I thought Trap had a stubbornness which caused a lot of them.

Dunphy made one good point last night about Trap - the 'perversity' of his selections. Clearly Manuela hadn't come up with a decent translation of the line about insanity being when you do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

imtommygunn

Quote from: trileacman on September 11, 2013, 03:25:18 PM
5th straight Irish manager who was hounded from the job.

But sure the managers are always right and the players can never be blamed.
Sure Donegal hounded about that many out too.

Players have to take a good bit of responsibility but the continually horrendous tactics were just too much.