FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

QuoteHe said recently, still playing with Longford btw, that the First Divison LOI is a much better standard then the Premier League up North. Does that not say something?

Are you sure he actually said that?
I heard Gillespie on Off The Ball on Newstalk a few weeks ago. He did say the standard down South was higher than up North but I'm pretty sure he wasn't comparing the second tier of the LOI to the first tier of the IL.
It was in an overall sense.

J OGorman

Quote from: ranch on June 04, 2013, 12:50:56 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 11:51:06 PM
Its still a better league then the Northern Equivalent. Keith Gillespie spent a season with Glentoran in 09 and then moved after 1 season to Longford town in the LOI first Division. He said recently, still playing with Longford btw, that the First Divison LOI is a much better standard then the Premier League up North. Does that not say something?

If the Leagues combined, more money could be generated between the FAI/IFA working together, improve facilities etc.

I've not seen Gillespie's comments, nor could I find them, but I'll take your word for it. If Gillespie has an opinion, he's entitled to it.
I doubt he'd get his place with Cliftonville, Crusaders or Glentoran in the IL now.
To even suggest that the Airtricity First Division is a "much better standard" than the Irish League premier division is a crazy, fanciful notion . There wouldn't even be a comparison between the likes of Cliftonville and Finn Harps, or even the likes of Ballymena United and Salthill Devon.

I follow both leagues with interest and attend as many games as possible, usually Dundalk home games in the Airtricity, and the Airtricity top flight really is not the high quality league some seem to think it is.

maybe so, but it is definately a good bit better than the IPL. The Irish Premier is dying a death, its also poor to watch. Even around the border areas, players are transferring to the Ulster Senior league or even the Jr leagues for a couple of extra bob as the attendances are so low and theres zero cash. Would love to see the 2 leagues join, I might even go to a game ;-)

rodney trotter

Quote from: galwayman on June 04, 2013, 02:25:19 AM
QuoteHe said recently, still playing with Longford btw, that the First Divison LOI is a much better standard then the Premier League up North. Does that not say something?

I heard Gillespie on Off The Ball on Newstalk a few weeks ago. He did say the standard down South was higher than up North but I'm pretty sure he wasn't comparing the second tier of the LOI to the first tier of the IL.

Well he has been playing First Division since he joined and, that was 3 years ago. He has never played in the Airtricity Premier Division, so Id imagine he was basing it on the First Division to the IPL. He would have only played the odd FAI Cup or League cup game against PL opposition

NAG1

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 04, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

Well he has been playing First Division since he joined and, that was 3 years ago. He has never played in the Airtricity Premier Division, so Id imagine he was basing it on the First Division to the IPL. He would have only played the odd FAI Cup or League cup game against PL opposition

Any one who even watches these two leagues on a casual basis would be able to tell the Airtricity league is a level above the IL. IL is kick and chase mostly but the most of the teams in AL at least try to pass the ball.
Not saying that either are a great shake.

rodney trotter

Quote from: NAG1 on June 04, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 04, 2013, 09:58:59 AM

Any one who even watches these two leagues on a casual basis would be able to tell the Airtricity league is a level above the IL. IL is kick and chase mostly but the most of the teams in AL at least try to pass the ball.

Agree, only have to look at the amount of ex Airtricity players in the Irish Squad now. Coleman, Forde, Long, Hoolahan, to name a few. Others like Keith Fahey Doyle have made impacts too.

Here is what Gillespie said, he said the standard was better, he has been playing First Division for 3 years, so I'd guess the First Division standard he was referring to compared to IPL.http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=keith%20gillespie%20podcast&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstalk.ie%2Freader%2F47.302.347%2F4563%2Fshow_list%2F&ei=YOWtUay-DMTo7Aawh4Bw&usg=AFQjCNGysl7CTf6N5JSLmDWydeXZPYNRZA

ranch

Kick and chase? Crusaders and Linfield maybe. Cliftonville, Ballinamallard and even Warrenpoint who were a tier below have all played great football this year. If Cliftonville had actually bothered about about the Setanta this year they wouldn't have been too far away.

Quote from: J OGorman on June 04, 2013, 09:30:25 AM

maybe so, but it is definately a good bit better than the IPL. The Irish Premier is dying a death, its also poor to watch. Even around the border areas, players are transferring to the Ulster Senior league or even the Jr leagues for a couple of extra bob as the attendances are so low and theres zero cash. Would love to see the 2 leagues join, I might even go to a game ;-)

Ulster Senior League? No idea what you're on about.

Players leaving Irish League clubs to play Junior for money? Who?
I know certain players who were getting paid a lot of cash by a certain Junior side in Newry and left to play for Warrenpoint for £15 a game.

As for there being zero cash, there's money about, it's just a matter of being good enough to earn it. Both leagues, not just the Irish League, have had examples of clubs spending beyond their budgets and paying the price for it.

NAG1

Quote from: ranch on June 04, 2013, 07:40:34 PM

Kick and chase? Crusaders and Linfield maybe. Cliftonville, Ballinamallard and even Warrenpoint who were a tier below have all played great football this year. If Cliftonville had actually bothered about about the Setanta this year they wouldn't have been too far away.

I know certain players who were getting paid a lot of cash by a certain Junior side in Newry and left to play for Warrenpoint for £15 a game.

As for there being zero cash, there's money about, it's just a matter of being good enough to earn it. Both leagues, not just the Irish League, have had examples of clubs spending beyond their budgets and paying the price for it.

Ranch maybe you are on commission but how on earth anyone can defend the IL as good to watch is beyond me. Only takes a casual observer even following the Monday night games which are hand picked for their quality to show on Sky, resort into long ball head tennis drivel. It is sincerely woeful stuff.

Some of the county Gaelic matches get a bit of stick for being poor quality but they are eminently more watchable than most of the IL.

ranch

Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2013, 02:34:12 PM

Ranch maybe you are on commission but how on earth anyone can defend the IL as good to watch is beyond me. Only takes a casual observer even following the Monday night games which are hand picked for their quality to show on Sky, resort into long ball head tennis drivel. It is sincerely woeful stuff.

Some of the county Gaelic matches get a bit of stick for being poor quality but they are eminently more watchable than most of the IL.

I've not said the IL is a good quality league. My point all along has been that the Airtricity League is every bit as bad.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 05, 2013, 03:30:24 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2013, 02:34:12 PM

I've not said the IL is a good quality league. My point all along has been that the Airtricity League is every bit as bad.

How is as bad, what players from the Irish Premier League have made in the Premier League recently, like Seamus Coleman has from Sligo Rovers to Everton or Shane Long Cork City - via Reading West Brom from the Airtricity League.

All 4 Northern sides were hammered this year in the Setenta, regardless of a Northern side winning the competition last year. They were out of their depth this year.

The Airtricity League is not great but still an improvement on the IPL.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 03:56:23 PM

How is as bad, what players from the Irish Premier League have made in the Premier League recently, like Seamus Coleman has from Sligo Rovers to Everton or Shane Long Cork City - via Reading West Brom from the Airtricity League.

Gareth McAuley at WBA. Jonny Steele also making a career for himself in the MLS.

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 03:56:23 PM
All 4 Northern sides were hammered this year in the Setenta, regardless of a Northern side winning the competition last year. They were out of their depth this year.

The Airtricity League is not great but still an improvement on the IPL.

Glentoran beat St. Pat's this year in the Setanta, or had you forgotten?
Shamrock Rovers beat Coleraine 2-1 on aggregate after losing the first leg 1-0 at home. Hardly a hammering.
Cliftonville sent the reserves down to Cork and made no apologies for admitting that they were putting their pursuit of the league and Irish Cup first.  Linfield have taken a similar approach in the past too.
And yes, if you are using the Setanta as proof as to which league's the best (which I don't really tend to go by) then you can't ignore the fact Crusaders won it last year.

I judge the two league's on what I witness with my own eyes and to suggest that the Airtricity League is some sort of haven for good football, slick passing and great technical players in comparison to the Irish League is embarrassing. The standard of football in both is pretty similar whether you like it or not.

qubdub

How can you say they're both poor when Airtricity teams can at least pull the odd shock off in Europe.

When's the last time an Irish league team even came close to emulating that? Must be the 80s.

Main Street

The Setanta first rounds are used as pre-season warm-up for the LOI sides.
4 LOI sides made up the semi finals.

LOI standard is lowly, IL standard is basement.

ranch

Quote from: qubdub on June 05, 2013, 05:31:20 PM
How can you say they're both poor when Airtricity teams can at least pull the odd shock off in Europe.

When's the last time an Irish league team even came close to emulating that? Must be the 80s.

So the Airtricity League isn't poor?
Newry beat Bundesliga side Duisburg at home in the late 90s by the way. They went out 2-1 on aggregate but it was still a shock at the time. Crusaders also pushed Fulham a few years ago in the Uefa Cup/Europa League.
I couldn't be bothered looking through every sides European results though. My point isn't that the IL is a good standard, it's that both are equally poor.

Quote from: Main Street on June 05, 2013, 05:34:38 PM
The Setanta first rounds are used as pre-season warm-up for the LOI sides.
4 LOI sides made up the semi finals.

LOI standard is lowly, IL standard is basement.

And the IL teams who are involved in the title chase regularly field reserve sides, just look at Cliftonville this year and Linfield in previous seasons. Hence why I don't use the Setanta Cup as any sort of measure as to which league is better, etc.

The fact so few of you are prepared to admit the low standard of football in the Airtricity League is embarrassing. Instead you try to console yourself with this notion that at least it's not as bad as the IL. I attend many games in both leagues and believe me, the standard in both is pretty similar.

rodney trotter

[
Quote from: ranch on June 05, 2013, 05:49:21 PM
Quote from: qubdub on June 05, 2013, 05:31:20 PM

So the Airtricity League isn't poor?
Newry beat Bundesliga side Duisburg at home in the late 90s by the way. They went out 2-1 on aggregate but it was still a shock at the time. Crusaders also pushed Fulham a few years ago in the Uefa Cup/Europa League.

When you are going back to the 90's its a sign of desperation, Sure Bohemians had good results if not better in that era too.
As for Crusaders "pushing" Fulham they lost 3-1 at home and 4-0 at the Cottage

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 05, 2013, 05:58:41 PM
When you are going back to the 90's its a sign of desperation, Sure Bohemians had good results if not better in that era too.
As for Crusaders "pushing" Fulham they lost 3-1 at home and 4-0 at the Cottage

A sign of desperation? I went back to the 90s because the person I replied to mentioned the 80s. Newry was the first one that came into my head as I supported them. I then replied that I couldn't be bothered looking through every sides results.
I've continually referred to the standard of football in each league and not one person has responded about it, instead all I keep reading is about the Setanta Cup and Shamrock Rovers' run in Europe.

As for somebody else's response that LoI clubs are only in pre season training for the early rounds of the Setanta Cup as some sort of excuse as to why they may lose those games, the opposite could be applied for their European games i.e. their season is in full flow whilst others, including the IL, are only back into training.

Also, I should point out I follow both leagues. But my issue here is this idea many people have about the IL without probably ever having attended a game.