FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

It's the Aviva, but it is still on Lansdowne Road, so ye are both right. They still play at Lansdowne Road, in a stadium called the Aviva.

NAG1

Never mind that, did anyone actually watch the match?

Absolute and utter tripe from both sides, were the Irish boys on the lash before the game?

ballinaman

Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2013, 01:05:19 PM

Absolute and utter tripe from both sides, were the Irish boys on the lash before the game?
Thought Wes Hoolahan did well, he can keep the ball on the deck at least. Surely the last we've seen of Andy Keogh, dire stuff. Hendrick looks to be a big strong lad. Our strongest team at the moment IMO would be
                    Forde
Coleman, OShea, Dunne, Wilson
McGeady, McCarthy,Andrews, McClean
                Hoolahan
                   Long
Walters close to a start too. We've actually a decent enough 11 if f**king Trapp got his head out of his arse.

ranch

Quote from: ballinaman on June 03, 2013, 04:46:42 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 03, 2013, 01:05:19 PM

Thought Wes Hoolahan did well, he can keep the ball on the deck at least. Surely the last we've seen of Andy Keogh, dire stuff. Hendrick looks to be a big strong lad. Our strongest team at the moment IMO would be
                    Forde
Coleman, OShea, Dunne, Wilson
McGeady, McCarthy,Andrews, McClean
                Hoolahan
                   Long
Walters close to a start too. We've actually a decent enough 11 if f**king Trapp got his head out of his arse.

McCarthy and Long are suspended for the Faroes game I think.

For this Friday I think Trap might go with;

Forde
Coleman, O'Shea, Dunne, Wilson
Walters, Whelan, Hoolahan, McClean
Keane, Sammon/Cox

Main doubt would be over Hoolahan as he's not a central midfielder and against a better side there'd be no chance Hoolahan would start in a central midfield pairing, and rightly so. Against the Faroes we should get away with it however.

tyssam5

Quote from: michaelg on June 02, 2013, 10:02:12 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 02, 2013, 09:59:24 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on June 02, 2013, 09:36:47 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2013, 06:04:55 PM
Very few Catholics in the North (except Marty Clarke maybe) give a toss about the NI team.
This is only actually the case if you're referring to GAA-loving Catholics from close to the border. Northern Ireland is a small place, but it's not as a smallminded as you perceive.
What?
Call it small minded or whatever you want but I'd say his comment is very true. I don't think I've ever met "one of our lot" who has had any interest in the NI team. Surely it is very rare.
What about in 1982 and 1986 when the team was doing well?

I was a big fan in 1982.

I was nine.

ranch

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 02, 2013, 07:29:57 PM
This has been looked at on this board many times. The biggest impasse is there would only be half the jobs for the boys from top to bottom. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a cushy job. 

Actually the way it is is sound. Everybody is Happy!

The biggest issue is that the IFA have a seat on the International FA board, just as the other 'home nations' do. They are therefore one of the rule makers when it comes to world football and anything that may jeopardise that privileged position will be resisted by the IFA.

The Leagues joining up would suit the bigger clubs in the North and south, attendance wise. A joint League would improve clubs especially in the North.

It might well improve clubs but I don't see why northern clubs would benefit more than those in the south?

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 09:05:19 PM
This has been looked at on this board many times. The biggest impasse is there would only be half the jobs for the boys from top to bottom. Nobody is going to vote themselves out of a cushy job. 

Actually the way it is is sound. Everybody is Happy!

The biggest issue is that the IFA have a seat on the International FA board, just as the other 'home nations' do. They are therefore one of the rule makers when it comes to world football and anything that may jeopardise that privileged position will be resisted by the IFA.

The Leagues joining up would suit the bigger clubs in the North and south, attendance wise. A joint League would improve clubs especially in the North.

It might well improve clubs but I don't see why northern clubs would benefit more than those in the south?

Because they would be playing better opposition on a regular basis, only have to look at the results from this years Setenta to show how far off they were.

The IFA Cup final was a terrible standard aswell.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 09:31:19 PM

Because they would be playing better opposition on a regular basis, only have to look at the results from this years Setenta to show how far off they were.

Even though Crusaders won it the year before? Yes, they won it on penalties, but only after they completely outplayed Derry City for two hours. The standard in the Airtricity League really isn't that much better.

The IFA Cup final was a terrible standard aswell.

The vast majority of games on either side of the border are of a poor standard.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 10:26:22 PM

Even though Crusaders won it the year before? Yes, they won it on penalties, but only after they completely outplayed Derry City for two hours. The standard in the Airtricity League really isn't that much better.

The teams from the Airtricity league have had some decent results over the years in Europe, hardly the same can be said for the Irish League. Crusaders won it last year but were shown up this year. Maybe they had injuries or whatever. They were only side to make it to the semi's last and then reached the final and won it out. Big decline in a year

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 10:39:56 PM

The teams from the Airtricity league have had some decent results over the years in Europe, hardly the same can be said for the Irish League. Crusaders won it last year but were shown up this year. Maybe they had injuries or whatever. They were only side to make it to the semi's last and then reached the final and won it out. Big decline in a year

Other than Shamrock Rovers a couple of years ago the sides in the Airtricity League have hardly set the world alight when it comes to Europe.
The standard in the Airtricty League is every bit as poor as the Irish League, anybody who watches both and is anyway honest will admit as much.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 10:47:01 PM

Other than Shamrock Rovers a couple of years ago the sides in the Airtricity League have hardly set the world alight when it comes to Europe.
The standard in the Airtricty League is every bit as poor as the Irish League, anybody who watches both and is anyway honest will admit as much.

I would still rate it over the Irish League. It might be poor but an improvement on Irish League. St Pats have had decent results over the last few years in the Europe League, nothing to shout about but bit of progression anyways. Sligo were unfortunate to be knocked out last year.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 10:59:23 PM

I would still rate it over the Irish League. It might be poor but an improvement on Irish League. St Pats have had decent results over the last few years in the Europe League, nothing to shout about but bit of progression anyways. Sligo were unfortunate to be knocked out last year.

But were still knocked out.

Your original point was that it would be more beneficial to the IL teams should both amalgamate into one league.
I fail to see how it would benefit them more than the southern sides. Both leagues are poor, and surely if the top AL sides were playing Cliftonville and Linfield each week rather than the likes of Shels it would also be beneficial to them?  Anyway, think we've gone slightly off topic here rather quickly  ;D

michaelg

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 11:12:31 PM

Your original point was that it would be more beneficial to the IL teams should both amalgamate into one league.
I fail to see how it would benefit them more than the southern sides. Both leagues are poor, and surely if the top AL sides were playing Cliftonville and Linfield each week rather than the likes of Shels it would also be beneficial to them?  Anyway, think we've gone slightly off topic here rather quickly  ;D
Don't know much about League of Ireland football, but Irish League football is dying a slow death.  Even the self proclaimed biggest team in Ireland, Linfield, averaged only 1887 fans per home game this season.  Can't really see what can be done to reverse the decline.  People have suggested summer football but can't see that having much impact.  As someone who plays football on a Saturday afternoon, they really should make more of an effort to play matches on Friday nights or Sundays.  Obviously, though,  there are a fair few opposed to playing on the Sabbath and all that bullshit.  They should also make it free for all Under 16s in my opinion.  If you are not a season ticket holder it is £10 to go and see matches which is dear enough given standard of fayre on offer.  For me the biggest problem is the lack of atmosphere at games.  When you go to The Oval, for example, it feels like a non-event given the vast swathes of empty terraces in a ground that could easily accommodate 15k fans.

rodney trotter

Quote from: ranch on June 03, 2013, 11:12:31 PM

Its still a better league then the Northern Equivalent. Keith Gillespie spent a season with Glentoran in 09 and then moved after 1 season to Longford town in the LOI first Division. He said recently, still playing with Longford btw, that the First Divison LOI is a much better standard then the Premier League up North. Does that not say something?

If the Leagues combined, more money could be generated between the FAI/IFA working together, improve facilities etc.

ranch

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 03, 2013, 11:51:06 PM
Its still a better league then the Northern Equivalent. Keith Gillespie spent a season with Glentoran in 09 and then moved after 1 season to Longford town in the LOI first Division. He said recently, still playing with Longford btw, that the First Divison LOI is a much better standard then the Premier League up North. Does that not say something?

If the Leagues combined, more money could be generated between the FAI/IFA working together, improve facilities etc.

I've not seen Gillespie's comments, nor could I find them, but I'll take your word for it. If Gillespie has an opinion, he's entitled to it.
I doubt he'd get his place with Cliftonville, Crusaders or Glentoran in the IL now.
To even suggest that the Airtricity First Division is a "much better standard" than the Irish League premier division is a crazy, fanciful notion . There wouldn't even be a comparison between the likes of Cliftonville and Finn Harps, or even the likes of Ballymena United and Salthill Devon.

I follow both leagues with interest and attend as many games as possible, usually Dundalk home games in the Airtricity, and the Airtricity top flight really is not the high quality league some seem to think it is.