Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 28, 2013, 12:17:57 PM
I know the last game at Landsdowne Road didn't go well but was the problem due to anti IRA chants and singing no surrender?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22601616

Roy Hodgson urges England fans to avoid offensive songs
England manager Roy Hodgson has asked fans not to sing antagonistic songs during a friendly against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on 29 May.

It will be the first meeting since a game at Lansdowne Road was abandoned in 1995 because of crowd trouble.

Hodgson, in an email to England ticket holders and in his programme notes, asks fans to avoid songs with political or religious overtones.

England fans have been known to sing anti-IRA songs.

The email reads: "Ahead of the Ireland fixture, on behalf of the FA, I would like to ask our supporters to please respect our opponents and welcome them in the right way.

Why would England fans singing offensive songs be the cause of England fans rioting? Do these songs somehow offend themselves and provoke a violent reaction?

Are these, in fact, Ballads of Mass Destruction?
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Are these, in fact, Ballads of Mass Destruction?

;D
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

thejuice

Only realised this was on yesterday.

I suppose I might head up the road to watch it.

I hope the Irish fans have learned the rest of the Fields of Athenry, they've had plenty of time since the Euros.

And maybe a few new ones to go with it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

NAG1

Quote from: thejuice on May 29, 2013, 03:02:43 PM

I hope the Irish fans have learned the rest of the Fields of Athenry, they've had plenty of time since the Euros.

Anyone else sick to the stomach of hearing this song being beat out at every opportunity?

laoislad

Never liked the song. Hate the Liverpool version of it as well.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Canalman

Quote from: NAG1 on May 29, 2013, 03:11:00 PM

Anyone else sick to the stomach of hearing this song being beat out at every opportunity?

+ 1. Awful awful dirge.

thejuice

I don't mind it, I think its overused and they usually only sing the chorus over and over.

I dream of a day when you hear 40,000 supporters of any sport belt out An Poc Ar Buile from start to finish.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

EC Unique

Quote from: Canalman on May 29, 2013, 03:43:57 PM

+ 1. Awful awful dirge.

yep

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on May 29, 2013, 03:56:16 PM
I don't mind it, I think its overused and they usually only sing the chorus over and over.

I dream of a day when you hear 40,000 supporters of any sport belt out An Poc Ar Buile from start to finish.

That would be class.  ;D

Facebook campaign?
MWWSI 2017

NAG1

Quote from: EC Unique on May 29, 2013, 03:56:48 PM

+ 1. Awful awful dirge.

yep

Was starting to think I was the only one there for a while, I can relax a bit now!  ;)

From the Bunker

Quote from: NAG1 on May 29, 2013, 04:27:03 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on May 29, 2013, 03:56:48 PM

+ 1. Awful awful dirge.

yep

Was starting to think I was the only one there for a while, I can relax a bit now!  ;)

+1 - Can't see the attraction!

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Captain Obvious