FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2012, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 15, 2012, 09:41:15 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2012, 09:24:01 AM
Who was the player that nearly walked over the weekend? Was he being unpatriotic?

you still have an unanswered question a few pages back

Answered what? Are you still seriously defending Trapp? Seriously? Did you see the game?

bottom line is our expectations are far too high. Would I get shot of Trap? Yes. I think he has ran his course, as do some players by the looks of it. Id bring McCarthy back. But the players are not there and folk shouldn't treat supporting their country like they support their English plc teams. Utd fans experience winning and glory almost every year. They don't get the same from the small nation they are from. The result, either don't support their country (which is odd because they follow soccer) or b, continuously santer about the team without giving any alternatives.
If a new manager came in now, and picked what most people think is the strongest 11, and tried to play passing football against even the middle ranked teams in Europe, we would get played off the park. We wouldn't have come within a whisker of the last world cup or qualified for the Euro's.
The grass isnt always greener

Billys Boots

I think we should be building an adequate grassroots organisation and stop kidding ourselves that we can compete consistently or effectively against the top nations - I'd be appointing Brian Kerr again, personally.  We need to concentrate on keeping the ball better, and he'd be a better coach in that regard than McCarthy. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

J, when you say our expectations are too high, what do you mean? What do you think the general expectation level is? Because to be honest I don't see anyone expecting Ireland to be Spain, or to win tournaments.

I see the expectation that the manager will watch the players, pick the best players, and put them in positions on the field that allow them to play to the best of their ability. I see the expectation that at least the players who do play show the requisite pride, application and hard work. To try their best and to compete. I don't think that's happening at the moment, and I think a large part of why that is, is because Trap has completely alienated them by failiing in the first three 'expectaions' I mention. He doesn't trust his players, and he doesn't rate them. Now I don't think they are world beaters either, but at least if you pick the best ones and get the most out of them you can, you can say you are doing a good job. He's failing in that at the moment, and probably has been for a while.

Declan

Lump on 'Arry.
That's the word apparently.

Anyone who knows anything about managing people knows that if you consistently dismiss them and say that they are not good enough then they will not work for you - To me this is Trap's biggest failing - He never rated any of our players and it's coming home to roost   

nifan

Quote from: J OGorman on October 12, 2012, 09:22:25 PM
English supporting Irish soccer fans turning their back on their national team (a country with the same population as Birmingham).

Ireland has the same population as birmingham? Think you are a bit out with that one.

johnneycool

Quote from: Declan on October 15, 2012, 10:58:51 AM
Lump on 'Arry.
That's the word apparently.

Anyone who knows anything about managing people knows that if you consistently dismiss them and say that they are not good enough then they will not work for you - To me this is Trap's biggest failing - He never rated any of our players and it's coming home to roost

Considering that he's worked with real world class players(not Robbie Keane 'world class') in his days as coach of Juventus, so its hardly surprising he doesn't trust Irish players to have the ability to hold onto the ball for any length of time.

J OGorman

Quote from: nifan on October 15, 2012, 11:00:54 AM
English supporting Irish soccer fans turning their back on their national team (a country with the same population as Birmingham).

Ireland has the same population as birmingham? Think you are a bit out with that one.

greater Birmingham has a population of near 4 mil

nifan

Quote from: johnneycool on October 15, 2012, 11:12:06 AM
Considering that he's worked with real world class players(not Robbie Keane 'world class') in his days as coach of Juventus, so its hardly surprising he doesn't trust Irish players to have the ability to hold onto the ball for any length of time.

He may not rate the players, but he seems to differ with many in the relative rating of individual players compared to each other.

Onlooker

Anyone surprised that Robbie Keane was injured for the game last Friday against Germany, but is fit to play on Tuesday against the Faroe Islands. ;) ;)

nifan

Quote from: J OGorman on October 15, 2012, 11:15:13 AM
Quote from: nifan on October 15, 2012, 11:00:54 AM

greater Birmingham has a population of near 4 mil

How are you defining greater birmingham?
The west midlands conurbation has 2.2 m, and this is generally what is meant by that

Declan

QuoteConsidering that he's worked with real world class players(not Robbie Keane 'world class') in his days as coach of Juventus, so its hardly surprising he doesn't trust Irish players to have the ability to hold onto the ball for any length of time

Its one thing not trusting them to hold onto the ball it's another thing to be consistently saying publicly that they aren't good enough etc and then expect them to perform for him.

magpie seanie

Quote from: J OGorman on October 15, 2012, 09:56:18 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2012, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 15, 2012, 09:41:15 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 15, 2012, 09:24:01 AM
Who was the player that nearly walked over the weekend? Was he being unpatriotic?

you still have an unanswered question a few pages back

Answered what? Are you still seriously defending Trapp? Seriously? Did you see the game?

bottom line is our expectations are far too high. Would I get shot of Trap? Yes. I think he has ran his course, as do some players by the looks of it. Id bring McCarthy back. But the players are not there and folk shouldn't treat supporting their country like they support their English plc teams. Utd fans experience winning and glory almost every year. They don't get the same from the small nation they are from. The result, either don't support their country (which is odd because they follow soccer) or b, continuously santer about the team without giving any alternatives.
If a new manager came in now, and picked what most people think is the strongest 11, and tried to play passing football against even the middle ranked teams in Europe, we would get played off the park. We wouldn't have come within a whisker of the last world cup or qualified for the Euro's.
The grass isnt always greener

So you have a (exteremely negative, jaundiced) view on Manchester United fans and how they view the Irish national team and you plant me conveniently in that box. OK. That's your right. It's mine to tell you that that view is rubbish and certainly not one that I (or most soccer fans in this country, regardless of who they support) fit into, in my view.

Quotebottom line is our expectations are far too high.
- this is the kind of talk (and it's rife out there) that really pisses me off. Ya know why? Because no-one's expectations are high at all. It's a lie. All most people want is that the best players get a chance to play for our country, the team gives 100% effort and tries to play ball when they can. Most feel that with this we can contend for 2nd place in most groups and make an odd playoff for qualification with a bit of luck. That is the expectation and it is realistic.

We have several players playing week in week out in the top league in Britain who do not get a look in. If that was based on football reasons then we should be expecting to win tournaments. We have massive interest in our national team at a time when other countries are experiencing a wane in that area. Unfortunately we have a bunch of clowns running the show and getting into bed with the likes of Denis O'Brien to prop up a joke manager (that's shat he is at this stage - past achievements duly acknowledged and respected).

AZOffaly

I heard on newstalk that he had several beautiful ladies in his life. They were Black and White (Juve), Black and Blue (Inter), Black and Red (AC) and Blue and White (Italy). He was asked about his latest 'lady' in Green and White. He said she needed some time with the surgeon.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Onlooker on October 15, 2012, 11:21:26 AM
Anyone surprised that Robbie Keane was injured for the game last Friday against Germany, but is fit to play on Tuesday against the Faroe Islands. ;) ;)

No. He wouldn't want to miss the Faroes in fairness.

AZOffaly

I think we are awful hard on Robbie Keane. We might be bloody delighted to have him in Toshavn.