FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

Quote from: thewobbler on October 11, 2012, 01:22:04 PM
You could play Jesus Christ himself up there and it wouldn't make a difference as the four Germans will routinely dispossess him.
JC doesn't like crosses either.

rodney trotter

Robbie Keane must feel a little hard done by when he reads rubbish written about him and his ability.

Here's the thing, Ireland's best chance of a result against a big team does not involve having a big guy up front who can hold the ball up. It involves nicking a goal. And the one player in Ireland's history who is most likely to nick a goal is Robbie Keane.

There is some amount of muck being written in the papers and on here about how Long etc would be better as the lone frontman. It's all nonsense. Ireland's midfield will neither have the athleticism or instructions to support the striker. You could play Jesus Christ himself up there and it wouldn't make a difference as the four Germans will routinely dispossess him.

If we make just one chance in a game we will need to take it. That's what Keane does.

I think we are talking about the other forward options as Robbie Keane is ruled out. And how would having Keane up front as a lone man work, if Long who is younger and faster not be up to the task? Who is to say Long wouldn't score, he is improving and I think he will be a better player then Robbie, just needs a chance, wasn't given a chance in the Euro's, big chance tomorrow night.

Keane was a great goal poacher and still is, but not a top class one. His miss last year against Slovakia in the Aviva proved that.

spuds

Robbie Keane must feel a little hard done by when he reads rubbish written about him and his ability.

Here's the thing, Ireland's best chance of a result against a big team does not involve having a big guy up front who can hold the ball up. It involves nicking a goal. And the one player in Ireland's history who is most likely to nick a goal is Robbie Keane.

There is some amount of muck being written in the papers and on here about how Long etc would be better as the lone frontman. It's all nonsense. Ireland's midfield will neither have the athleticism or instructions to support the striker. You could play Jesus Christ himself up there and it wouldn't make a difference as the four Germans will routinely dispossess him.

If we make just one chance in a game we will need to take it. That's what Keane does.
Long has the speed and athleticism to trouble the best of defenders, if selected he will be playing in a system that will require these attributes not to mention the probability of us having so little of the all. Always been a big fan of Robbie but his days of being a startr are rapidly coming to a close, some amount of muck being spouted  by those who cannot see this !!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ballinaman

Ay ya, sure keep playing him until he's 50 so. It's the here and now thats important, Keane was beyond shite in Poland and has been much the same in the MLS games that I've seen recently. On current form, Long is the better choice.

tommysmith

QuoteFAI @FAIreland
Confirmed Team: Westwood; McShane, O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward; Keogh, Meyler, Andrews, Fahey, McGeady; Walters

I think its near time this deluded manager got the road.

rodney trotter

Quote from: tommysmith on October 11, 2012, 02:46:49 PM
QuoteFAI @FAIreland
Confirmed Team: Westwood; McShane, O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward; Keogh, Meyler, Andrews, Fahey, McGeady; Walters

[/qu

That team is shocking... and that back 4 will be destroyed. Batian Schweinsteiger against Paul McShane, Holy Fck.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 11, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
QuoteFAI @FAIreland

[/qu

That team is shocking... and that back 4 will be destroyed. Batian Schweinsteiger against Paul McShane, Holy Fck.

Are you sure thats not a windup? Team to be named at 3.00pm
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

tommysmith

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 11, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
QuoteFAI @FAIreland

[/qu

Lots of back tracking now it look like someone was talking the piss, its not announced yet  :D

tommysmith

Slightly better but no long

QuoteStarting XI v Germany - Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward, McCarthy, Andrews, Fahey, McGeady, Walters, Cox

GalwayBayBoy

Trap is a strange man. The better you play for your club the less chance you have of getting on one of his teams. Can see no logical reason why Long isn't playing. Walters and Cox both do a similiar type of job. Surely one of them would suffice alongside Long.

sans pessimism

Quote from: laoislad on October 11, 2012, 12:23:09 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on October 11, 2012, 12:19:50 PM
Think I'll cut my toe nails this evening or read a
dictionary or some thing interesting

What has that got to do with the game Tomorrow night.  ;D
Probably to do
with the general apathy surrounding the game.Must go now and try and make a silk purse outta
a sow's ear
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Main Street

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 11, 2012, 03:11:01 PM
Trap is a strange man. The better you play for your club the less chance you have of getting on one of his teams. Can see no logical reason why Long isn't playing. Walters and Cox both do a similiar type of job. Surely one of them would suffice alongside Long.
Walters and Cox are 2 players who have very different abilities and do different jobs.

Crete Boom

Quote from: tommysmith on October 11, 2012, 03:02:27 PM

QuoteStarting XI v Germany - Westwood, Coleman, O'Shea, O'Dea, Ward, McCarthy, Andrews, Fahey, McGeady, Walters, Cox

Well at least it's getting a bit better by accident. All we need know is for cox and ward to get injured then you might be lucky and get Long and Wilson in. That would be pretty close to our best team although I would still have Ciaran Clarke in at centre back ahead of O'Dea!

trileacman

Quote from: Crete Boom on October 11, 2012, 04:33:47 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on October 11, 2012, 03:02:27 PM

Well at least it's getting a bit better by accident. All we need know is for cox and ward to get injured then you might be lucky and get Long and Wilson in. That would be pretty close to our best team although I would still have Ciaran Clarke in at centre back ahead of O'Dea!

Coleman and Clark have been poor anytime i've seen them play recently. To be fair that's maybe the best Trap can do with the options we have today.

Next man who slates Trap's selection should put up his own 11 to we see what untold brilliance we are missing out on.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Main Street on October 11, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 11, 2012, 03:11:01 PM
Walters and Cox are 2 players who have very different abilities and do different jobs.

They are certainly more similiar than either of them is to Long. That much is fairly obvious.

Long tends to play off the shoulder of the defenders looking to run in behind while both Walters and Cox like to come deeper and hold the ball up.