FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

You wouldn't need a report if you could have dragged yourself away from the England game ::)

Trap's reserves played well against modest opponents. They kept the ball on the ground all the time, in complete contrast to the competitive games.
Both reserve goalies got 45 mins each, a welcome event in the post-Given cap-hogging era. Overall the team were disjointed but persisted in trying find shape with playing the ball through midfield.
From that team tonight, Wilson LB  Kelly/Coleman rb, McCarthy, Doyle and Long are first team players, Pearce who came on at ht looked okay - def good enough for the squad.  I don't know about Meyler just yet, at least not right now -  maybe once he gets a bit more club experience,
He only has to play good enough to dislodge Whelan.

Denn Forever

Was it on Terrestrial TV (non Sports packages)?

Thanks for the report.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Capt Pat

No mention of the main talking point of the night Brady. He has the talent for the level we were playing at tonight. So he deserves to get more game time in some of the bigger games. He has a great left foot and reminded me a bit of Georghe Hag for some reason.

The game itself was easy and open and free flowing. I thought Seamus Coleman did well and hope he brings an end to the Paul McShane era.

Quote from: Main Street on September 11, 2012, 10:55:37 PM
You wouldn't need a report if you could have dragged yourself away from the England game ::)

Trap's reserves played well against modest opponents. They kept the ball on the ground all the time, in complete contrast to the competitive games.
Both reserve goalies got 45 mins each, a welcome event in the post-Given cap-hogging era. Overall the team were disjointed but persisted in trying find shape with playing the ball through midfield.
From that team tonight, Wilson LB  Kelly/Coleman rb, McCarthy, Doyle and Long are first team players, Pearce who came on at ht looked okay - def good enough for the squad.  I don't know about Meyler just yet, at least not right now -  maybe once he gets a bit more club experience,
He only has to play good enough to dislodge Whelan.

Main Street

I don't know about Coleman based on last night's game as he was all over the place positionally, as if he had a free role.
A full back generally has to curtail tendencies to roam around the midfield zone, especially when playing against a team like Germany :)
Brady looked a very good player but can't see him breaking into the 1st team  just yet, maybe next spring he will be a fixture in the squad.
Apparantly Trap has to mull over whether to play with 3 at CM/1 striker against Germany or go for another episode of the hoof game.

johnneycool

Quote from: Main Street on September 12, 2012, 11:40:38 AM
I don't know about Coleman based on last night's game as he was all over the place positionally, as if he had a free role.
A full back generally has to curtail tendencies to roam around the midfield zone, especially when playing against a team like Germany :)
Brady looked a very good player but can't see him breaking into the 1st team  just yet, maybe next spring he will be a fixture in the squad.
Apparantly Trap has to mull over whether to play with 3 at CM/1 striker against Germany or go for another episode of the hoof game.

Whilst he started out at right back for Everton, he hasn't played there in almost 2 years. He'd need to change the mindset a bit if he's to play right back against better opposition.

J OGorman

Quote from: Main Street on September 11, 2012, 10:14:32 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 11, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
After all the belly aching about how we couldn't beat Khazakistan by at least 3 or 4. It turns out they are quite a decent team.
It's not the issue that we didn't beat them by 3 or 4, it's that the 6th seeded team gave us a football lesson or at least they tried to play football whereas we aimlessly hoofed it for 90 minutes and in the end were extremely fortunate with 2 goals from 2 chances, while the carving on the gravestone of our WC qualification prospects was all but written after 90 minutes football.

Bayern v Utd 1999?

Main Street

Well was it a surprise or has it any shock portent when a top team like Bayern or for that matter, Benfica/Athletic Bilbao/Porto/ Milan give Man U a football lesson in European competition?

Declan

The fact that there are still tickets available for the game against Germany shows how disinterested people are in the team at the moment.

Main Street

Quote from: Declan on September 13, 2012, 07:27:57 AM
The fact that there are still tickets available for the game against Germany shows how disinterested people are in the team at the moment.
That fact does not prove your contention. There are many factors involved affecting attendances these days.
Generally Ireland get the some of highest attendances for internationals in Europe and very good tv viewership ratings also,
despite the quality of the fare. 

CitySlicker11

I'd say come Friday 12th October that the Germany game will be very close to a sell out. Hoping to nick a draw in this one.

Declan

QuoteThat fact does not prove your contention. There are many factors involved affecting attendances these days.
Generally Ireland get the some of highest attendances for internationals in Europe and very good tv viewership ratings also,

Do you genuinely think that in times past a home game against Germany wouldn't have been a guaranteed sell out - This is despite recession etc. being a factor.

I know plenty of people who would have been regular attendees and who were in Poland who aren't going and in the end  it came down to the fact that they don't like watching us play anymore   

trileacman

Quote from: Declan on September 14, 2012, 10:40:37 AM
QuoteThat fact does not prove your contention. There are many factors involved affecting attendances these days.

Do you genuinely think that in times past a home game against Germany wouldn't have been a guaranteed sell out - This is despite recession etc. being a factor.

I know plenty of people who would have been regular attendees and who were in Poland who aren't going and in the end  it came down to the fact that they don't like watching us play anymore

Yeah but would they have went in the Staunton/Kerr era when we were getting entertaining hammerings? If people don't like watching us get beat and also don't like us winning then attendances don't stand a chance.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Declan

QuoteYeah but would they have went in the Staunton/Kerr era when we were getting entertaining hammerings? If people don't like watching us get beat and also don't like us winning then attendances don't stand a chance.

Can't remember ever getting hammered under Kerr and yes these lads are longstanding fans and some would have gone to games going back to Eoin Hand's time in charge.

It's not thet they don't like us winning or drawing ;) it's just that they genuinely don't enjoy watching us play any more. I do think as well that the floating supporter so to speak is less likely to want to watch us play as well given the recent performances

Capt Pat

So we had a few bad games at the euros and now people don't want to watch us play. That is their business and most will get over it as the Germany game gets closer.