FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

How has Mclean played?

Main Street

McClean had a good start, the 2nd half was more of a test for him, he kept plugging away despite sloppy mistakes and obvious tiredness.
Squad deputy McShane had a good game at RB. The only danger from him was that the ref might have got fooled by a Bosnian's dive in the box after McShane touched his shirt. Kelly's wrist is still bandaged, looks like he aggravated his injury at some stage.
Gibson, after a few early glitches, settled in fine. He could well be in line to start at the Euros and he offers more ability on the ball than the others at CM.
McGeady played the 2nd half and was a class above anybody else. He looked fresh and supremely confident, not unlike the form he's been showing for Spartak in their last games where he displayed some outstanding skills.

Denn Forever

QuoteMcGeady played the 2nd half and was a class above anybody else. He looked fresh and supremely confident, not unlike the form he's been showing for Spartak in their last games where he displayed some outstanding skills.

From the highlights on RTE2, he seemed be playing a more central midfield role.

Why the need for 20 minute of analysis after?  I'd have preferred more of the match.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

I watched the match streamed live, I didn't bother with the highlights.

Most of McGeady's damage was done on the right. He cut inside a few times from the right. That's normal enough, for instance many coaches will put a right footer on the left side so that he'll have to cut inside.

ludermor

Quote from: Declan on May 22, 2012, 11:28:35 AM
QuoteYou can check your seats on the Poznan interactive seating plan here...

http://bilety.lechpoznan.pl/info/13/

Looks like for the Croatia match, we've the 2 tiered stand behind the goal. I'm in block K2 and we've the 3 tiered stand behind the goal for the Italy match.

Nice one - Green stand halfway line
Sound like all he will be able to do!

Mourne man

lads neone know anywhere to get the new jersey with name and number on the back ??

SHEEDY

ireland won 5-0 tonight against a tuscany xi. keane scored 2.cox walters and long scored the others in a match where most of the players got a run out.

you have to feel sorry for kevin foley getting dropped from the squad. by all accounts he played well tonight. trap called in mcshane as he wanted more defensive cover.
nil satis nisi optimum

magpie seanie

They reckoned on Off the Ball that it may not be over for Foley as some of the players in the squad might not make the tournament due to injury. Worries over O'Shea. Hopefully not.

Bingo

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 30, 2012, 12:12:56 AM
They reckoned on Off the Ball that it may not be over for Foley as some of the players in the squad might not make the tournament due to injury. Worries over O'Shea. Hopefully not.

Reading Foley in the paper this morning and he not overly happy as you'd expect. He played the 2nd half last night to prove a point that he was fit but then said he feels betrayed as Trap put no pressure on him to train or play last week for the Bosnia game, so that the injury cleared up fully. He says he did as was asked but that was then used against him.

He said he was asked to stay with squad but wants to get home.

Harsh on the lad. I think it was that McShane actually put in a good shift against Bosnia and that also helped the decision. Ironically McShane didn't feature last night as he has been out since Bosnia game with a brusied heel.

I doubt either of them will feature anyway.

AQMP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18261857

Euro 2012: Kevin Foley feels betrayed by Giovanni Trapattoni

Kevin Foley says he feels "betrayed" by Giovanni Trapattoni's decision to leave him out of the Republic of Ireland squad for Euro 2012. The 27-year-old defender was stunned on Tuesday after manager Trapattoni dropped him from the 23 despite naming him in the squad three weeks ago. "It is hard to take. I don't want to go into too much detail. I just feel betrayed," said the Wolves defender.  Trapattoni included Paul McShane in his squad instead of Foley. McShane had been on stand-by before being drafted into the party as defensive cover last week. Wolves full-back Foley spent the last week or so working his way back to fitness after a hamstring problem but he insisted that he is now fully fit and played in Tuesday's 5-0 friendly win over a Tuscan Select. However, Trapattoni decided that injury concerns over John O'Shea and Darren O'Dea made McShane a better option as he can play at both right-back and in central defence.  "I wanted to prove a point, that I was fit to play because from what I understood, I could have trained last week, Thursday, Friday and been involved in the game [against Bosnia on Saturday]," said Foley.  "He [Trapattoni] said there was no rush and we will wait to train in Italy, so I trained for two days in Italy and felt great.  "And then all of a sudden, he pulls me this morning [Tuesday] just before the end and says, 'You are not in the squad', and that is hard to take.  "I have done everything I can. That is all I can do. Words can't really describe it. It was tough. "The lads have been great, but what happened happened, there's nothing I can do about it now.  "I hope the lads go on and do as well as they can from the tournament."

Trapattoni said after Tuesday's friendly that the decision to exclude Foley had been an intensely difficult one. The Republic boss invited the player to remain with the squad, which heads for Hungary on Sunday and then Poland two days later but Foley has declined the offer.  "I go home tomorrow. I don't want to talk about that."

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Bingo on May 30, 2012, 09:58:47 AM

Reading Foley in the paper this morning and he not overly happy as you'd expect. He played the 2nd half last night to prove a point that he was fit but then said he feels betrayed as Trap put no pressure on him to train or play last week for the Bosnia game, so that the injury cleared up fully. He says he did as was asked but that was then used against him.

Harsh on the lad. I think it was that McShane actually put in a good shift against Bosnia and that also helped the decision. Ironically McShane didn't feature last night as he has been out since Bosnia game with a brusied heel.

Ireland -- Westwood (Forde 45); McShane, Dunne (Foley 45), St Ledger (Ward 71), Kelly; Hunt, Green, Andrews (Gibson 71), McClean (Long 45); Cox, Keane (Walters 45).

By not featuring you mean he didn't give away a pen or get sent off??  ;)

Bingo

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 30, 2012, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: Bingo on May 30, 2012, 09:58:47 AM

Ireland -- Westwood (Forde 45); McShane, Dunne (Foley 45), St Ledger (Ward 71), Kelly; Hunt, Green, Andrews (Gibson 71), McClean (Long 45); Cox, Keane (Walters 45).

By not featuring you mean he didn't give away a pen or get sent off??  ;)

Thats that then  ;D Was sure the report I read said he didn't feature, maybe it just meant training. If McShane is mentioned in a match report its generally bad news  ;)