FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2012, 11:22:31 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 13, 2012, 12:52:20 AM
McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level.
He never played for NI at Windsor Park -
A liar??    It's a slippery slope toward hypocrisy for you, throwing stone at someone you accuse of lying.

Did McClean claim he played in Windsor pk? Show me a direct quote please.
All I read was that a journalist assumed McClean was referring to lining out for NI at Windsor pk.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/internationals/2012/05/11/3095300/james-mcclean-northern-ireland-was-a-stepping-stone
If he wasn't referring to WP, what the helll was he talking about when he talked about sectarian flags and chanting? Like I said earlier, NI under age games don't attract much of a crowd - there are very few flags and even less chanting - so what did he mean? He's also changed his account of why he made the switch. Initially he said it had nothing to do with politics, that it was just about football. Now it seems to be all about politics. He also talked of being 'snubbed' by NI while he was at Derry City, implying that if he'd been treated properly he would've played for the north. In that article I've linked to, he accuses other Catholic players of being liars - I assume he's talking about the likes of Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt. He's a bigoted wee mouthpiece and I'm just sorry that James McCarthy wasn't available to keep him out of the squad. As for the 'death threat' he received on Twitter: it was from a 16 year old grammar school boy who lost the run of himself. I've read more threatening texts on this board.

Applesisapples

McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level. He never played for NI at Windsor Park, and the 'crowds' that would've turned up for NI underage teams would've been mostly family and friends of players. The only 'sectarian' songs and flags he'd have seen and heard would have been GSTQ and the NI flag and / or the occasional UJ. What did he expect at NI matches, tricolours and the Fields of Athenry? If he wants to play for RoI that's fair enough, but I don't see why he feels the need to blacken the reputation of NI fans in the process.
Thers only one dick in this piece and it's not McClean, you obviously know nothing about these hard done by NI fans and the flags banners and songs they bring to games. As I said previously the Province's U21 games tend to be rotated around club grounds and attract local fans. He may or may not be wrong about playing at windsor but the "colour" of the occasion would be the same where ever

Applesisapples

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 12, 2012, 10:08:33 PM
Some people don't grasp this at all. The IFA was not responsible for developing McClean into the player he is/was after U21; much in the same way the FAI wouldn't have been responsible either if he had have came through their system.

Institute, Derry City and whatever junior clubs he played with before that are the ones who nurtured him. So this notion that the IFA are being deprived of a 'homegrown' star player (one who went unnoticed by them at Derry City for two years no less) is well off the mark. Seemingly this only became an issue once he made the move across the water, if he had gone to Whocares Utd in League One/Scottish 1st Division would there have been as much noise from disgruntled NI fans? Doubtful.

As for his reasons for not choosing NI and whether they stand to scrutiny or not, (relative to his situation) they are still valid reasons. The IFA statement earlier today spouted more empty rhetoric about being inclusive when the fact remains no moves have been made to remove the Unionist/Loyalist trappings that engulf the NI international team. The sectarian abuse and death threats sent to McClean will not help this situation and future players in similar scenarios are more likely to choose the ROI. It's a pity but in a way it might help the IFA make serious moves towards an inclusive environment for Catholics/Nationalists.
Exactly what I posted earlier about the IFA's response...Like you I was met with silence.

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 06:47:25 AM
McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level.
A liar??    It's a slippery slope toward hypocrisy for you, throwing stone at someone you accuse of lying.

All I read was that a journalist assumed McClean was referring to lining out for NI at Windsor pk.
http://www.goal.com/en/news/468/internationals/2012/05/11/3095300/james-mcclean-northern-ireland-was-a-stepping-stone
If he wasn't referring to WP, what the helll was he talking about when he talked about sectarian flags and chanting?

McClean never mentioned anything about lining out for the u21 team at Windsor Pk, Not one word about it, anytime anywhere.
So he couldn't be lying about it, could he?
Again Myles, show me a direct quote where McClean refers to lining out at WP  or else admit you got it wrong.

QuoteLike I said earlier

Like you said earlier? nearly all your points were copied from a recent post on the OWC eligibility thread which you assumed was true, fell into the trap and thought to repeat the misinformation here on this thread because,
a. that's what you do?
b. it confirmed your prejudices?
c. lies come easy?

EC Unique

Quote from: michaelg on May 13, 2012, 04:08:27 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 12, 2012, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: michaelg on May 12, 2012, 07:24:40 PM
McClean is best ignored if you ask my opinion - Doesn't seem the sharpest knife in the drawer (Can't remember where he has played for example) and seems to love the aggro and attention that his tweets bring - Interestingly, the media were not as interested in the sectarian abuse aimed at Josh Carson of Ipswich and Northern Ireland by some clown in Donegal - Although not as prominent a footballer, it strikes me that the media always take the opportunity to put the boot into NI football fans wherever possible

Will you be supporting the ROI in the Euros?
Prior to the era where the FAI actively courted young, under age footballers from a nationalist / republican background, I would have been mildly indifferent, now I willbe actively supporting whoever it is that the ROI face in their group

That is a bit pathetic.

Jim_Murphy_74

This is the Windsor quote from McClean, it was during Sindo interview:

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

Another couple have OWC noses out of joint:

To Derry Journal:

"International recognition is very important to most players. I thoroughly enjoyed playing for the Under-21s and, therefore, any call-up to the senior squad would be considered an honour"

To extratime.ie on his Northern Ireland call-up (as a Derry City Player): (He withdrew 2 weeks later having become a Sunderland player)

"'I am delighted to be called into the squad"

/Jim.

Main Street

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on May 14, 2012, 12:25:26 PM

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

You are confusing quotes attributed to McLean in the Indo with journalistic assumptions.
McClean is not quoted as saying that he lined out for NI u21's  at Windsor pk.

McClean is quoted as saying
"It's obviously a step on the ladder as well, it can help your career if you're seen playing international football. If the Republic had have come in, there wouldn't have been a decision to make. That was based on obviously trying to progress my career.
"I didn't feel part of the squad. And I think any Catholic player if they said they did, I'd probably call them a liar. I didn't feel that way. It's probably strong words to say, but I felt that we weren't wanted. As a Catholic as well, it's hard to stand for that national anthem, and see all the flags, the sectarian flags and the chants as well. You don't feel part of that, especially me from where I grew up."

"I think any Catholic would be lying if they said they did feel at home, seeing all those flags (Union Jacks) and hearing the songs and chants. For me, I didn't feel a part of it (when he played for Northern Ireland at underage level).

On playing for NI u21's
"When you're young and you get an international call-up, you think 'wow, it's international football', and you see it as sort of bragging,"
"It's probably the wrong thing to say, but it was just a stepping stone in my career. When I signed for Sunderland, my dream of playing for Ireland became realistic."

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on May 14, 2012, 01:50:44 PM

You are confusing quotes attributed to McLean in the Indo with journalistic assumptions.

"It's obviously a step on the ladder as well, it can help your career if you're seen playing international football. If the Republic had have come in, there wouldn't have been a decision to make. That was based on obviously trying to progress my career.
"I didn't feel part of the squad. And I think any Catholic player if they said they did, I'd probably call them a liar. I didn't feel that way. It's probably strong words to say, but I felt that we weren't wanted. As a Catholic as well, it's hard to stand for that national anthem, and see all the flags, the sectarian flags and the chants as well. You don't feel part of that, especially me from where I grew up."

"I think any Catholic would be lying if they said they did feel at home, seeing all those flags (Union Jacks) and hearing the songs and chants. For me, I didn't feel a part of it (when he played for Northern Ireland at underage level).

On playing for NI u21's
"When you're young and you get an international call-up, you think 'wow, it's international football', and you see it as sort of bragging,"
"It's probably the wrong thing to say, but it was just a stepping stone in my career. When I signed for Sunderland, my dream of playing for Ireland became realistic."
If McClean was misquoted or misrepresented, I'm sure he'd have been quick enough to correct the mistake. He was quick enough to pick Colin Murray up when he described him as Northern Irish - can you point me to anything McClean has said since that suggests he feels hard done by the media? No, didn't think so. Also, you ignore other points. McClean said initially that his decision was all to do with football, nothing to do with politics. Now he's changed his tune. Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros? He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 05:44:18 PM
Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros?
Do you accept that McClean was 'there for the taking' but instead was ignored for two years while at Derry City by the NI senior management? Cos the way I look at it, NI only wanted him once word about him making a big move last summer became apparent. He was just right to withdraw, from a team that didn't want him/notice him until he became potential premiership material.

He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.
As a Northern Ireland football fan, do you honestly think those players consider GSTQ their National Anthem? Do you think they consider the defunct Ulster banner their National flag, or feel any affinity to the Union flag? Because I'd call them liars too if they said they did.

RE whether you accept his justifications for the change of heart or not; they are just as valid as the reasons people like me avoid Windsor Park completely.  It is a pity that you, other NI fans and worst of all the IFA don't see the bigger picture, that the baggage associated with the NI team is doing so much damage. So long as this situation remains the same and the empty rhetoric comes from the IFA wigs; I and many others will gladly support any player who plays underage with NI and makes the switch to the ROI for senior.

The Worker

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 06:47:25 AM

If he wasn't referring to WP, what the helll was he talking about when he talked about sectarian flags and chanting? Like I said earlier, NI under age games don't attract much of a crowd - there are very few flags and even less chanting - so what did he mean? He's also changed his account of why he made the switch. Initially he said it had nothing to do with politics, that it was just about football. Now it seems to be all about politics. He also talked of being 'snubbed' by NI while he was at Derry City, implying that if he'd been treated properly he would've played for the north. In that article I've linked to, he accuses other Catholic players of being liars - I assume he's talking about the likes of Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt. He's a bigoted wee mouthpiece and I'm just sorry that James McCarthy wasn't available to keep him out of the squad. As for the 'death threat' he received on Twitter: it was from a 16 year old grammar school boy who lost the run of himself. I've read more threatening texts on this board.

You sure it wasn't the one idiot with the 20p  ::)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 14, 2012, 06:17:02 PM
Here's the way it looks: McClean was happy enough to turn out for the north when he'd returned from Lincoln City and was playing for Derry City. Had he been called into the senior squad at that stage, I don't doubt that he'd have taken the cap and worn it to bed. Then he starts getting noticed and there's transfer talk in the papers. He gets a big move to Sunderland and all of a sudden he starts thinking that a cap for the republic is a possibility. Why settle for NI and a football backwater when there's a chance of the Euros?
Do you accept that McClean was 'there for the taking' but instead was ignored for two years while at Derry City by the NI senior management? Cos the way I look at it, NI only wanted him once word about him making a big move last summer became apparent. He was just right to withdraw, from a team that didn't want him/notice him until he became potential premiership material.

He has to justify his sudden change of heart, so he comes out with all the sectarian bullshit. Worst of all, he calls his team mates - McCourt, McGinn, Baird, Clingan - liars. He's a dick. I quite understand why you feel such an affinity with him.
As a Northern Ireland football fan, do you honestly think those players consider GSTQ their National Anthem? Do you think they consider the defunct Ulster banner their National flag, or feel any affinity to the Union flag? Because I'd call them liars too if they said they did.

RE whether you accept his justifications for the change of heart or not; they are just as valid as the reasons people like me avoid Windsor Park completely.  It is a pity that you, other NI fans and worst of all the IFA don't see the bigger picture, that the baggage associated with the NI team is doing so much damage. So long as this situation remains the same and the empty rhetoric comes from the IFA wigs; I and many others will gladly support any player who plays underage with NI and makes the switch to the ROI for senior.
I can accept 100% that he felt pissed off at not getting a call up to the NI senior team when he was playing well for Derry, particularly when Worthington was handing out caps to a few no hopers. I can accept 100% that he liked the idea of playing football on the big stage for the republic. If he'd stuck with that line, I wouldn't have a problem with him. What I can't abide is that he feels the need to slag off his former team mates, the NI backroom people, and the NI football support in order to justify his decision. The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion.  I also accept that GSTQ turns a lot of people off supporting NI. I think that the fact that some players and supporters from nationalist backgrounds are prepared to rise above this is to their credit - in exactly the same way that people like Rory Best, Andrew Trimble, Stephen Ferris, etc are prepared to play for Ireland, while thousands of Ulster prods go along to support them, despite the tricolours and the Soldier's Song and the presidential salutes and all that stuff. I'm not a NI fan, btw - prefer to spend my time and money in Ravenhill (and this season, also in Thomond, the Aviva and on Saturday, Twickenham  :))

Main Street

On playing for NI u21's
If McClean was misquoted or misrepresented, I'm sure he'd have been quick enough to correct the mistake. He was quick enough to pick Colin Murray up when he described him as Northern Irish - can you point me to anything McClean has said since that suggests he feels hard done by the media? No, didn't think so.
There is no quote where McClean states that he lined out for NI at Windsor Pk.
None at all.
You surely couldn't find any, you just swallowed, hook line and sinker, the posts on the OWC eligibility thread. It must be true in your mind because McClean hasn't come out to correct the stupidity on the OWC eligibility thread  ::) Holy sh'it indeed.
BTW, do they still believe that FIFA aren't implementing the rules of  eligibility properly, re the eligibility of NI born Irish nationals?

QuoteAlso, you ignore other points. McClean said initially that his decision was all to do with football, nothing to do with politics Now he's changed his tune.

Why on earth would I bother what a footballer says one day  when he's in the NI u21 team and the next day when he's not.

QuoteHere's the way it looks:
Obviously the OWC eligibility thread has held great fascination for you as you adopt their world view almost verbatim.
Weird one that ::)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on May 14, 2012, 09:46:27 PM

On playing for NI u21's
If McClean was misquoted or misrepresented, I'm sure he'd have been quick enough to correct the mistake. He was quick enough to pick Colin Murray up when he described him as Northern Irish - can you point me to anything McClean has said since that suggests he feels hard done by the media? No, didn't think so.
There is no quote where McClean states that he lined out for NI at Windsor Pk.
None at all.
You surely couldn't find any, you just swallowed, hook line and sinker, the posts on the OWC eligibility thread. It must be true in your mind because McClean hasn't come out to correct the stupidity on the OWC eligibility thread  ::) Holy sh'it indeed.
BTW, do they still believe that FIFA aren't implementing the rules of  eligibility properly, re the eligibility of NI born Irish nationals?

QuoteAlso, you ignore other points. McClean said initially that his decision was all to do with football, nothing to do with politics Now he's changed his tune.

Why on earth would I bother what a footballer says one day  when he's in the NI u21 team and the next day when he's not.

QuoteHere's the way it looks:
Obviously the OWC eligibility thread has held great fascination for you as you adopt their world view almost verbatim.
Weird one that ::)
So he was just misquoted? In quite a few different media outlets? Strange that neither he nor his management saw fit to correct the mistake, don't you think? Why on earth would you be so concerned with what a footballer says - or doesn't say - one day, yet not bothered at all by other things he says? Weird, that. 

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 14, 2012, 08:33:44 PM
The fact that he plays the sectarian card to do so just makes him despicable in my opinion. 
Well, he wasn't far wrong judging by the sectarian abuse that has followed.

Oh and the rugby doesn't compare by the way. Apples and oranges.