FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 12, 2012, 02:21:25 PM
Quote from: Minder on May 12, 2012, 02:16:37 PM
McClean threw his lot in with the Republic because he was pissed off about not getting selected for Norn Iron, if they had selected him when he was at Derry Coty he would now be playing for them.

He tell you that himself I take it?  ::)

Well he was interviewed by Derry Journal in 2009 and said:

"International recognition is very important to most players. I thoroughly enjoyed playing for the Under-21s and, therefore, any call-up to the senior squad would be considered an honour"

So I have to say I understand the frustration of the OWC fans that in the space of a few years McClean went from "enjoyed playing for the U-21s" to "not being comfortable with the setup".   No doubt you and your ilk understood that "any call up to the senior squad" was meant to refer to the Republic not OWC but I can see how OWC fans might have made a mistake.

Also McClean was called into OWC senior squad in July 2011 but did not move to Sunderland until August.  Interviewed on July 28th by League of Ireland site extratime.ie he said "'I am delighted to be called into the squad".  He withdrew on 9th of August hours after signing for Sunderland.

Now after the fact, have spoken of his delight and honour of playing for OWC, he says he actually was uncomfortable and never wanted to play for them.

Personally I see a lot of inconsistency here. 

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 12, 2012, 10:33:32 AM
I didn't see any reference to Windsor in the quotes I read. U21 games are usually played at club grounds and would attract a fare few local Province fans.

Reference was in Sindo three weekends ago, interview with Dion Fanning:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/no-rest-for-the-gifted-on-mccleans-journey-to-the-top-3081196.html

"I can even remember playing under 21s for Northern Ireland and even standing for the national anthems . . . You're looking around Windsor Park as a Catholic and seeing all the Union Jacks and listening to the songs the fans sing and I just didn't feel at home at all. Even in the squads I felt like a bit of an outsider. There weren't too many Catholics, it just didn't feel right."

So if he wasn't there as a player, was he there as a supporter?

/Jim.

laoislad

Crusaders win on penos.
The commentator said they are now All Ireland Champions...the Dubs won't be happy.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

michaelg

McClean is best ignored if you ask my opinion - Doesn't seem the sharpest knife in the drawer (Can't remember where he has played for example) and seems to love the aggro and attention that his tweets bring - Interestingly, the media were not as interested in the sectarian abuse aimed at Josh Carson of Ipswich and Northern Ireland by some clown in Donegal - Although not as prominent a footballer, it strikes me that the media always take the opportunity to put the boot into NI football fans wherever possible

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: michaelg on May 12, 2012, 07:24:40 PM
McClean is best ignored if you ask my opinion - Doesn't seem the sharpest knife in the drawer (Can't remember where he has played for example) and seems to love the aggro and attention that his tweets bring - Interestingly, the media were not as interested in the sectarian abuse aimed at Josh Carson of Ipswich and Northern Ireland by some clown in Donegal - Although not as prominent a footballer, it strikes me that the media always take the opportunity to put the boot into NI football fans wherever possible

Will you be supporting the ROI in the Euros?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thewobbler

Quote from: Nally Stand on May 11, 2012, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 11, 2012, 09:31:01 AM
McClean should stop digging holes for himself.
I respect honesty, but it's something he should save for the end of his career. Right now, he should keep quiet and build that career.
Fcek that, he has every right to say what he feels when the topic arises. For nationalists, there are serious issues surrounding sectarianism and identity attached to the six county team so more power to him for having the balls to say what others might be too afraid to say.

On a side note, if Ballyholland kept producing players up to under 21 level, who then transferred to Burren, i'd be somewhere between annoyed and heartbroken. While the Twitter mouthpieces don't help the situation by playing up the political angle, I generally understand the frustration. If McClean was still at Derry City he would have happily stood for GSTQ, just to play international football.
Not exactly a like for like comparison. His local allegiance might be questioned but hardly his very national identity.

If McClean was still at Derry City he would have happily stood for GSTQ, just to play international football.
Happily stood for GSTQ? In his own words..."You don't really feel at home. I think any Catholic would be lying if they said they did feel at home, seeing all those flags and hearing the songs and chants. For me, personally, I didn't feel part of it."

See the thing here for me is that you and others can't separate your political opinions from the scenario we have here. It's impossible for you to look at McClean's decision (and the way he has handled it) with any objectivity, for as far you're concerned, two fingers to anything British is always a good thing.

I compared it to GAA because this particular case has similarities. One team has been helping him his entire career, the other team has not. But as an adult he has chosen to play for the latter. Forget politics and allegiances for a few minutes and realise just how rotten this is for the supplier team. Then add salt to those sounds by generally behaving as arrogant, dismissive and rude about the opportunities the feeder team gave you.

This scenario has unfolded umpteen times in the GAA, and is about as welcome as an orange parade on our grounds. It's heartbreaking for the club members who lose out. Especially when decorum from the player goes out the window. Leave aside your politics for just a minute and accept than McClean has behaved wrongly.

fitzroyalty

To be honest they bring it upon themselves sometimes.

fitzroyalty

Some people don't grasp this at all. The IFA was not responsible for developing McClean into the player he is/was after U21; much in the same way the FAI wouldn't have been responsible either if he had have came through their system.

Institute, Derry City and whatever junior clubs he played with before that are the ones who nurtured him. So this notion that the IFA are being deprived of a 'homegrown' star player (one who went unnoticed by them at Derry City for two years no less) is well off the mark. Seemingly this only became an issue once he made the move across the water, if he had gone to Whocares Utd in League One/Scottish 1st Division would there have been as much noise from disgruntled NI fans? Doubtful.

As for his reasons for not choosing NI and whether they stand to scrutiny or not, (relative to his situation) they are still valid reasons. The IFA statement earlier today spouted more empty rhetoric about being inclusive when the fact remains no moves have been made to remove the Unionist/Loyalist trappings that engulf the NI international team. The sectarian abuse and death threats sent to McClean will not help this situation and future players in similar scenarios are more likely to choose the ROI. It's a pity but in a way it might help the IFA make serious moves towards an inclusive environment for Catholics/Nationalists.

Myles Na G.

McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level. He never played for NI at Windsor Park, and the 'crowds' that would've turned up for NI underage teams would've been mostly family and friends of players. The only 'sectarian' songs and flags he'd have seen and heard would have been GSTQ and the NI flag and / or the occasional UJ. What did he expect at NI matches, tricolours and the Fields of Athenry? If he wants to play for RoI that's fair enough, but I don't see why he feels the need to blacken the reputation of NI fans in the process.

michaelg

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 12, 2012, 08:05:37 PM

Prior to the era where the FAI actively courted young, under age footballers from a nationalist / republican background, I would have been mildly indifferent, now I willbe actively supporting whoever it is that the ROI face in their group

The Worker

Quote from: michaelg on May 13, 2012, 04:08:27 AM

But it's ok to take players who have been in Irish squads before (Alex Bruce). You can't have it both ways.

The bottom line fact is that anyone born on this island has the option to play for Ireland (fai).

Prior to the era where the FAI actively courted young, under age footballers from a nationalist / republican background, I would have been mildly indifferent, now I willbe actively supporting whoever it is that the ROI face in their group

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 13, 2012, 12:52:20 AM
McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level. He never played for NI at Windsor Park, and the 'crowds' that would've turned up for NI underage teams would've been mostly family and friends of players. The only 'sectarian' songs and flags he'd have seen and heard would have been GSTQ and the NI flag and / or the occasional UJ. What did he expect at NI matches, tricolours and the Fields of Athenry? If he wants to play for RoI that's fair enough, but I don't see why he feels the need to blacken the reputation of NI fans in the process.
Aye, how dare he receive death threats from them!

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 13, 2012, 12:52:20 AM
McClean's a dick, no harm to him. He's lying about his experience of playing for NI teams up to and including U21 level.
He never played for NI at Windsor Park -
A liar??    It's a slippery slope toward hypocrisy for you, throwing stone at someone you accuse of lying.

Did McClean claim he played in Windsor pk? Show me a direct quote please.
All I read was that a journalist assumed McClean was referring to lining out for NI at Windsor pk.

laoislad

Quote from: michaelg on May 13, 2012, 04:08:27 AM

Good for you that you'll have something to keep you interested in a big international football tournament. It is a long time since 1986 after all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney