FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Clown on November 08, 2011, 02:37:31 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2011, 02:09:11 PM
Seanie has no objective rational sense re Robbie Keane.

GDA, Stokes was called up recently but failed to turn up.
Considering the present glut of available options up front for the 4 squad positions, who would you drop to facilitate the recall of a player like Stokes?
Walters, Gibson and Wilson also were called up recently and used lame excuses such as Stokes' that they were tired and pulled out of the squads, yet they got a 2nd chance.
Stokes deserves one the way he's playing
What lame excuse did Walters have? Walters played through injury last spring and was a crocked player at the end of the season.
Gibson has been injured for months.
Stokes deserves ??
Who would you drop from the 4 places in the squad to facilitate the call up of Stokes?

stew

Quote from: thewobbler on November 08, 2011, 02:04:33 PM
Seanie, I know you don't like the fella, but Keane has scored 51 international goals while playing mostly among poor teams.

Dropping someone with that experience and productivity for a match of this importance would be madness. It doesn't matter if he spends 89.5 minutes waving his arms on Friday, so long as during the other 30 seconds he gets in on goal.

If Ireland get a penalty in either match, I'd rather Keane kicked it blindfold than trust anyone else in the squad. As I'm sure, deep down, you would too.

If it comes down to penalties Ireland will struggle, lets hope they win it straight up over the two legs.

Robbie Keane should play, he absolutely should play, he is playing well and scoring goals at the moment so get him in there and let him do what he does best...............cartwheels after scoring goals.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Jonah

It would be a crazy decision not to play Robbie Keane for these two games.
I'm astounded anyone would want to drop the highest goalscorer we have for what is the most important game since the 2nd leg v France a few years ago,a night Keane scored for us aswell.

Clown

Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2011, 02:54:11 PM

Considering the present glut of available options up front for the 4 squad positions, who would you drop to facilitate the recall of a player like Stokes?
Walters, Gibson and Wilson also were called up recently and used lame excuses such as Stokes' that they were tired and pulled out of the squads, yet they got a 2nd chance.
What lame excuse did Walters have? Walters played through injury last spring and was a crocked player at the end of the season.
Stokes deserves ??Who would you drop from the 4 places in the squad to facilitate the call up of Stokes?

Stokes deserves a second chance.
I would call him up if Best cant make it (which i dont think he can) have Keane, Walters, Cox and Stokes as the strikers. Wouldnt have Andy Keogh near the squad

See article below for examples of others who have been given second chances

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/23/giovanni-trapattoni-james-mccarthy-ireland

Main Street

Quote from: stew on November 08, 2011, 03:13:18 PM
Seanie, I know you don't like the fella, but Keane has scored 51 international goals while playing mostly among poor teams.

Dropping someone with that experience and productivity for a match of this importance would be madness. It doesn't matter if he spends 89.5 minutes waving his arms on Friday, so long as during the other 30 seconds he gets in on goal.

If Ireland get a penalty in either match, I'd rather Keane kicked it blindfold than trust anyone else in the squad. As I'm sure, deep down, you would too.

If it comes down to penalties Ireland will struggle, lets hope they win it straight up over the two legs.
You are aware Stew that  Hunt, Long, Keane, Doyle, Walters and McGeady are acknowledged penalty takers for their clubs.
There is no reason why Ireland should struggle any more than Estonia should it come down to penalties, in fact we are in a much better position than them in this department,

Main Street

Quote from: Clown on November 08, 2011, 04:41:00 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 08, 2011, 02:54:11 PM

Stokes deserves ??Who would you drop from the 4 places in the squad to facilitate the call up of Stokes?

Stokes deserves a second chance.
I would call him up if Best cant make it (which i dont think he can) have Keane, Walters, Cox and Stokes as the strikers. Wouldnt have Andy Keogh near the squad

See article below for examples of others who have been given second chances

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/23/giovanni-trapattoni-james-mccarthy-ireland

You are referencing some Guardian article, anyone can write sh'ite
What second chance are you talking about for Walters?
Here is a quote from Walters
"I had a fractured shoulder," he recalls, a point made in his defence at the time by Tony Pulis. "It happened around the last New Year and I had to have injections in my shoulder to play every game. I didn't train as much and I had to be strapped up for every game. I needed to rest my shoulder, otherwise it wouldn't get any better. It was getting worse. I was having X-rays periodically and it was chipping more and more away. Towards the end, it was such a massive season with the FA Cup final and the league, there was a lot of pressure to play, so I had the injections. But I wasn't really training much.

Andy Keogh is not there as a striker, he is there as a wide midfielder, a mobile option.

Stokes might play himself into contention for a trial run in a friendly next year, if he is not too tired. As it stands now, he is way down the list  after Long Cox, Doyle, Keane, Best and Walters

Clown

How many chances has James McCarthy had Main Street?

im not saying Stokes should be in the squad when everyones fit, but with Doyle, Long and Best out he's the best option available, in my opinion, to be called in now

muppet

Quote from: Clown on November 08, 2011, 05:03:09 PM

im not saying Stokes should be in the squad when everyones fit, but with Doyle, Long and Best out he's the best option available, in my opinion, to be called in now

Not half enough.

Paul McGrath was a nightmare to manage but people like Graham Taylor and Jack Charlton knew the rewards for putting an arm around his shoulder would outweigh the effort involved. I'm not saying McCarthy is McGrath or anything, but anything would be better in centre midfield than what Trapp is playing.
MWWSI 2017

Main Street

Quote from: Clown on November 08, 2011, 05:03:09 PM

McCarthy is not a striker, Stokes is a striker vying for one of 4 squad spots. He has to turn up when requested in order to be considered a viable option.
I was disappointed with him pulling out of the friendlies against NI and Scotland, I was hoping he would turn up and get into the squad. He lost a big chance and goes to the back of the queue. I have no sympathy with him. 

James was called up to the friendlies with Algeria and Paraguay, he turned up, but he was declared unfit and sent back and I'd say he lost a probable competitive starting place to Green.
Next time afair, was another friendly later in that year where McCarthy started, he was given a difficult role but didn't get into the game.
A couple of times after that he was called up, one in particular where he didn't turn up but sent in a sick note. He lost out again and went to the back of the queue. McCarthy has just crept into the squad this time, but remember Trap picked 11 midfielders in the initial squad.

Orangemac

Most people agree that Whelan and Andrews partnership is not good enough but why has no one mentioned Rory Delap as an option. Not a flashy player that would anger Trap, playing regularly in Prem league over a few years, throw ins would cause havoc.

Did he retire from international football?

magpie seanie

Ah you're right and I wasn't sure I believed it myself when I typed it. Its just that he frustrates me so much when I see him play with the arms waving and these "dummies". If we get a chance in the box he is the best equipped to score it much as it galls me to say so.

Walters really deserves to play after his cameo the last day plus he has been good any time I've seen him with Stoke.

As for Stokes - I get to see much less soccer on TV nowadays and don't know the last time I watched a SPL game. Stokes seems to be among the goals and I've always thought he was decent. Beyond that and that Trapps selections utterly perplex me regarding several other players I can't comment.

I really hope we do it, the country needs a lift. I think we will do it with a good second half to the home leg following a 1-1 in Tallin.

Jonah

Stokes has probably found his level at Celtic, he didn't exactly set the world on fire at Sunderland.
I'm not sure he is good enough for international level.
I feel the same way about McGeady.

Main Street

Quote from: Orangemac on November 08, 2011, 08:48:10 PM
Most people agree that Whelan and Andrews partnership is not good enough but why has no one mentioned Rory Delap as an option. Not a flashy player that would anger Trap, playing regularly in Prem league over a few years, throw ins would cause havoc.

Did he retire from international football?
I thought we had made enough concessions to hoof football without having another Stoke player (Delap) in the team ;)   Stoke are the pits.
He's just okay as a CM, definitely no improvement over what we have, he's less mobile and generally less capable than Andrews and Whelan. I thought most people would want less hoofing and more football.

Why do you think a flashy player would anger Trap?

AFS

James McCarthy must be one of the most championed unknowns in the history of Irish football. His powers have reached mythical levels unheard of since the days of that colossus Andy Reid. Wigan, the most poorly supported team in the Premier League, are among the least regularly televised. I often wonder how many of his advocates would have seen the lad play more than half a dozen full 90s.

Declan

Lads we'll win hadily enough over the two legs -start booking the summer holidays ;)