FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Quoteso after what Fenlon and a few more on here are saying - we are effectively the 'Donegal' of international soccer !!
Lots of talent but choose to shut up shop and hit the lone striker hoping for a miracle goal or penalties at the end of the game !

Except our Michael Murphy plays at the back the whole time!!

J OGorman

Quote from: trileacman on October 13, 2011, 03:19:53 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 13, 2011, 02:49:36 PM
Quote from: Declan on October 13, 2011, 02:44:37 PM
Fenlon knows more about the game than Dunphys little finger - He's not personally responsible for leaving any club in the financial shite - There's a board at Derry and at Bohs that are charged with running the club. He's done well with Bohs this year considering their finnacial predicament and I'm sure he'd do a job at Linfield if he chose to go there.

We should beat Estonia as well considering 7 of their squad were on the Tallinn team that Rovers beat in the Champions League qualifers earlier this year

my beanbag could do a job at Linfield
Depends on the colour of your beanbag. Green would be useless.

its a bluey grey purpley Captain Caveman one

Capt Pat

Well that is a great bit of luck for us I didn't fancy games against Benson &Hedges and Turkey. Even Montenegro would have been hard for us but we will be favouites against Estonia and Trap will play a shrewd tactical game to make sure we get through.

Capt Pat

Did Sepp Blatter have anything to do with this draw? A bit of compensation for the hand ball fiasco.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 13, 2011, 03:59:33 PM
Did Sepp Blatter have anything to do with this draw? A bit of compensation for the hand ball fiasco.

The thing about luck is you have to take advantage of it. We were blessed with the sending off, and the poxy OG, but we made it pay by getting the win. Now we've been relatively lucky with the draw, so it is up to Trap and the lads to take advantage.

Doogie Browser

Well said AZ, we cannot be complacent now, if we don't though Trap can eff off!

Dinny Breen

Hmmm, is International soccer about entertainment or is it about results?

Personally I believe it should only be about the result and Trapp is around long enough to realise this as well. If we qualify for the Euro's and when we sit down next summer to watch it or travel to will we give a flying f*ck how we got there, will we f**k..

I'll be honest and say that soccer can by-pass me tactically but I know enough to realise that Trapp sets up him teams not to concede and to work-hard. The key for me is the players buy into this and those that don't regardless of ability are discarded until they do, as it should be.

I want to see Ireland win, if this system fails to achieve only then should you look at changing it.  As far as I can see the media will use either poor results to beat you with or poor performances so unless you have a team like Spain you will never get the performance and the result the majority of the time.

We are a small nation, numbers matter, punching well above our weight imho..

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

BennyHarp

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 13, 2011, 04:18:49 PM
Hmmm, is International soccer about entertainment or is it about results?

Personally I believe it should only be about the result and Trapp is around long enough to realise this as well. If we qualify for the Euro's and when we sit down next summer to watch it or travel to will we give a flying f*ck how we got there, will we f**k..

I'll be honest and say that soccer can by-pass me tactically but I know enough to realise that Trapp sets up him teams not to concede and to work-hard. The key for me is the players buy into this and those that don't regardless of ability are discarded until they do, as it should be.

I want to see Ireland win, if this system fails to achieve only then should you look at changing it.  As far as I can see the media will use either poor results to beat you with or poor performances so unless you have a team like Spain you will never get the performance and the result the majority of the time.

We are a small nation, numbers matter, punching well above our weight imho..

I agree - i wouldnt give two sh*ts if we drew 0-0 in both games v Estonia and got through on penalties. Then drew every game in the group stage at the Euros 0-0, got through to the knock out stages, drew each game 0-0, won every game on penalties then won the final ..... on penalties! I'd enjoy every minute of that tournament.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

In fairness it's a good point Dinny makes, for once ;) Not that winning is the most important thing, it is, but that the journos will always be looking for something to give out about. Until a team plays like Spain, and wins as much as them too, but that's not a common thing.

However, I don't think it has to be either end of the spectrum though. I don't think we are quite as limited as Trap makes them play, so I think he could pass it a bit more and still maintain the hard work and effectiveness. As a fan of Ireland, first and foremost I want them to win, but f**k me, I hate when we lose playing like that.

Billys Boots

QuoteAs far as I can see the media will use either poor results to beat you with or poor performances so unless you have a team like Spain you will never get the performance and the result the majority of the time.

Yes the journos have to have a doom and gloom scenario, for soccer anyway.  It might be different for rugby though.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

armaghniac

QuoteI don't think we are quite as limited as Trap makes them play, so I think he could pass it a bit more and still maintain the hard work and effectiveness.

We should send him Jim McGuiness to liven things up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lynchbhoy

Dinny is right but thats what I was getting at with my 'donegal' joke.

Not just soccer or Gaelic football or even hurling that are becomming defensive minded - look at the rugby world cup and most all competitions in recent years as well as other sports - teams are playing a defensive brand of their game in order to minimise the risk of losing.
the only teams that I can think of that buck this trend are Barcelona and Real madrid in soccer, Derry in football, and the likes of samoa/fiji in rugby and apart from Barca and to a certain extent Real , the rest are abject annaul failures because they cant or wont defend.

Journos are attacking all these teams and sports for becomeing 'defensive' or 'boring'  - but sport at the top level is about results. Only floor gymnastics or gymnastics in general is about 'the show'.
thats why I cant stand these f**king hacks. they are a blight on sports.

laoislad

Is it too soon to ask the driver to slow down the bandwagon so people can jump back on or will we wait till we get to the Euros?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Capt Pat

Rooney got a three match ban so misses the group phase. A very harsh punishment I think. It is not tiddly winks.