Player surrounded. How do you get out of that?

Started by Denn Forever, August 18, 2008, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Successful teams play to the strength of the players they have at hand. With a player like Donaghy up front, of  course Kerry will play the high ball in.

Tyrone are playing to a system that wins them games and that what it is all about.

Pre 1990's when Ulster teams were rarely getting to an All Ireland Final, all we could do was to admire those teams who did and won All Irelands. We did not have the audicity to criticise the way those teams played.......Kerry's blanket defence in the 1986 Final against Tyrone is a good example.

So its just envy which causes the southeners to have a go at the northerners for coming up with a method which enables them to land an All Ireland!!!  
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Mike Sheehy

QuoteYou're completely missing the point. It's not that players cannot field the ball any more. It's that the game has moved on in terms of athleticism, fitness and tactics that players don't now sit, qawk and admire a clean field by an opposing player. You now need to use quickness of thought and off-load or else it'll be a turn-over. It took Tyrone to teach Kerry that lesson in 2003. They did learn it and it's simply down to Mickey Harte and Tyrone that Kerry have now managed to bring their game up to the notch required in the modern era. Their hammerings in 2001, 2002 and 2003 happened no more. You should be thankful.

Tyrone never have, and never will, teach Kerry anything about Gaelic football. They simply demonstrate the lengths negative footballing counties will go to to stop us playing. They get lucky every now and then as we adapt,  Down in the 60's and Armagh and Tyrone in the modern era being a case in point.

We all know how much these sides resent not getting the "credit" they feel they deserve but if you will never get that respect as long as you continue to destroy our once beautiful game.

Gaffer

At the end of the day, as long as we are successful up here, we couldnt give two hoots about Kerry s lack of respect.

2002 and 2003 are bitter pills for Kerry to swallow.

Just accept that it happened and move on!!

supersarsfields

Tis great to see the poor Kerry fans like Mike beginning to get worried about Tyrone again. Sure enough the negative/ puke spakes only come out when their starting to get worried.
But don't panic just yet Mikey sure Wexford could put manners on us first and put your mind to rest.

Mike Sheehy

hrrrumph......you'll never be aristocrats of the game as you are doomed to a life of football peasantry...the water carriers that sometimes manage to bludgeon your way to an AI.

Gaffer

Quote from: supersarsfields on August 18, 2008, 08:18:44 PM
Tis great to see the poor Kerry fans like Mike beginning to get worried about Tyrone again. Sure enough the negative/ puke spakes only come out when their starting to get worried.

Was thinking that myself. They thought the All Ireland was in the bag until last Saturday!!!

Mike Sheehy

QuoteBut don't panic just yet Mikey sure Wexford could put manners on us first and put your mind to rest.

Oh, whats this...? Now ye are starting to get worried about Wexford...didn't seem that way yesterday after the greatest performance of all time   ::) ::)

supersarsfields

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 18, 2008, 08:21:18 PM
hrrrumph......you'll never be aristocrats of the game as you are doomed to a life of football peasantry...the water carriers that sometimes manage to bludgeon your way to an AI.

Aww sure we all have to accept our fate just scrapping for the titbits that fall from the Kingdoms table.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSure enough the negative/ puke spakes only come out when their starting to get worried

Nonsense, I have been consistent in my fight against the Tymoan hordes and their systematic campaign to convert Gaelic football to rugby league

Mike Sheehy

QuoteAww sure we all have to accept our fate just scrapping for the titbits that fall from the Kingdoms table

The fare might be a bit rich for your tastes..I suggest you watch Kerry's Golden years starting with short bursts with progressively longer periods. By the time you reach the '86 AI your "puke football" sensibilities may be ready for the exposure to the supreme exhibition of pure football by Spillane and co.

Gaffer

Mike Sheehy ! You're  panicking !!!

You need to watch the 1986 All Ireland .

Pure blanket defence by Kerry. Hardly kicked the ball. They played basketball the whole match. Kerry Globetrotters more like.

How did you own Paudie O'Shea describe the Kerry supporters?

Big Mickey

mike get a life son....tryone put on an exibition of how gaelic football should be played on saturday in atrocious conditions scoring all but 1 point from play and at the same time limiting this supposedly brilliant dublin forward line to a few mesely scores.their defending was excellant with brilliant organisaton and textbook tackling.these are also skills of gaelic football

theres all this talk about how there's no defined tackling in gaelic,watch a video of saturdays match and you'l see a couple of brilliant examples (including whealen on holmes may i add).

regarding this crowding round a player......what the hell do u want a defender to do when his teammate has him bottled up,walk away just?????thers nothing wrong with standing around a player in possession and keepin him boxed in.if done right (which it was by tyrone) then its not fouling unless they are all slapping the player trying to get the ball.

and this isnt being all high and mighty after saturday either cos i still dont think tyrone are good enough to win the AI but your mouthing stinks of fear and bitterness.

tyssam5

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 18, 2008, 08:28:30 PM
QuoteAww sure we all have to accept our fate just scrapping for the titbits that fall from the Kingdoms table

The fare might be a bit rich for your tastes..I suggest you watch Kerry's Golden years starting with short bursts with progressively longer periods. By the time you reach the '86 AI your "puke football" sensibilities may be ready for the exposure to the supreme exhibition of pure football by Spillane and co.

I don't have a tape player anymore, do they have that on DVD? Surprising how shite this stuff is when you look back on it. Golden Years me balls, you just had a team that was professionally fit playing basketball.

Mike Sheehy

Quoteand this isnt being all high and mighty after saturday either cos i still dont think tyrone are good enough to win the AI but your mouthing stinks of fear and bitterness

Typical Tyone tactic. Resort to geralizations like this to stifle any debate. You lads always want to bring down the tone of the debate just like you bring down football games to your level.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI don't have a tape player anymore, do they have that on DVD? Surprising how shite this stuff is when you look back on it. Golden Years me balls, you just had a team that was professionally fit playing basketball.

You are just jealous no-one remembers that Tyrone team yet that Kerry team are immortal.