Player surrounded. How do you get out of that?

Started by Denn Forever, August 18, 2008, 11:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

There a number of posters who train teams.  During the game on Saturday, we saw that players were surrounded by 3/4/5 players who did not foul the person with the ball.  Very disciplined.  How does the player with the ball get out of this?  Should the rule about charging be amended to give the surrounded player some hope?

Trainers out there, what do you tell your players?  If there a number of players surrounding one, there must be other free players?  Have not seen any teams that have any plan to combat this.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zapatista

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 18, 2008, 11:38:03 AM
There a number of posters who train teams.  During the game on Saturday, we saw that players were surrounded by 3/4/5 players who did not foul the person with the ball.  Very disciplined.  How does the player with the ball get out of this?  Should the rule about charging be amended to give the surrounded player some hope?

Trainers out there, what do you tell your players?  If there a number of players surrounding one, there must be other free players?  Have not seen any teams that have any plan to combat this.

Don't get into that situation. To many poor passes and holding on to the ball to long gets you into this sticky situation. Get rid of the ball early and don't play a pass to someone who will be surrounded by the time he controls it or turns to face the gaol. Prevention is better than the cure.

ONeill

Quote from: Zapatista on August 18, 2008, 11:44:11 AM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 18, 2008, 11:38:03 AM

Don't get into that situation. To many poor passes and holding on to the ball to long gets you into this sticky situation. Get rid of the ball early and don't play a pass to someone who will be surrounded by the time he controls it or turns to face the gaol. Prevention is better than the cure.

That's 100%. You rarely get Tyrone players caught in that situation, although Davey can be a wee bit prone to it. Unless there's space, don't dally on the ball. If you are caught you simply need to release the ball though the melee of legs and just hope it'll be picked up as you're only going to give away a demoralising free anyway.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Gs Man

Fair enough, but what about a midfielfder who has just caught a kick-out from the goalkeeper and he's immediately surrounded?
Keep 'er lit

ONeill

Quote from: The Gs Man on August 18, 2008, 12:04:12 PM
Fair enough, but what about a midfielfder who has just caught a kick-out from the goalkeeper and he's immediately surrounded?

Definitely a problem although I've noticed most teammates now give the fielder instant options when he lands, offering immediate assistance to receive the ball, maybe even standing shoulder-to-shoulder. How often this year did we see McGrane off-load to a runner within a split-second of catching the ball. With Tyrone not really having a regular fielder in recent years, this crowding development has suited them more than others.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Denn Forever

Just had a thought.  Should the referee not blow it up as a two man tackle? 

Was that rule  just an old wives tale or what is the actual rule?  I have noticed that this type of tactic is used a lot and referees do not seem to give a free easily.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zapatista

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 18, 2008, 12:18:18 PM

Was that rule  just an old wives tale or what is the actual rule?  I have noticed that this type of tactic is used a lot and referees do not seem to give a free easily.

Standing close to someone with your arms out is not a tackle.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteJust had a thought.  Should the referee not blow it up as a two man tackle? 

My understanding is that it is only free if two players trying to actively dispossess a member of the opposing team - i.e. try to knock the ball from his grasp. Its perfectly legal for as many players as possible to simply block off the space for the man in possession so long as only one is trying to dispossess him at any one time.

As mentioned above, the only way to counteract good defending like this is not to allow the situation to develop in the first place. After all, if there are 4 or 5 men in close proximity to the man with the ball, the players marking these men should be trying to make themselves available for a pass into space.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rav67

Didn't the Kerry CB chairman call for a rule change in relation to this after taking a huff when they got beat a few years back?

Zapatista

Great pictue in the Irish Sun today. Bonner on his knees with the ball and Sherlock crouching over him, all surrounded by 5 Tyrone players. Bonner was going nowhere.

Buckass

Denn,
The best way to get out of it is for the surrounded player to launch himself groundward and pop ball out between a defender's legs. Replicate this in a drill by throwing a hi ball to a player who is set upon by 3-4 tacklers. When surrounded he should dive for ground hpassing out. Support players should be aware to get in close to the ruck.
How many times in this situation do you see teammates standing 5-6 yards away hoping for free to be given?

David McKeown

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 18, 2008, 12:18:18 PM

Play rule 1.6 states

1.6 Player(s) may tackle an opponent for the ball.

My understanding of this is you could have 15 players tackle and it wouldnt be a foul.  That said it wouldnt surprise me if this was completely contradicted somewhere else in the rules
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

GalwayBayBoy

neilthemac