Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 03, 2008, 05:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

You're just too considerate RLL  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

;D
RLL you can't attempt to make some payback for the Dubs using the currency that another team earned, can you?

TirEoghaingodeo

Phenomonal performance yesterday, and just goes to show that there's plenty of class in that team yet. This team just keeps giving and giving. To think that before 1995, when i was 17, tyrone had played 7 championship games in HQ, and lost 6 of them, we donn't know we're born. All credit really must go to MH. In the entire time he's been manager, i can only think of 1 game that he may have made the wrong call, but in reality what do i know about it.
Great day yesterday, atmosphere was superb, and any dub i encountered was gracious in defeat. Most even stayed, when the game was really up with with 3 unanswered points after the half, and that's hard to do. Must say gutted for them, as that must be one of their most disappointing days in championship football. God knows we've had plenty.
Funny old championship, i think all we know is that Kerry are quality, on their day tyrone can take anyone, as could cork, and wexford are strong and improving, with a great manager. Wouln't be surprised if any of the four took it.

On a final note, I will firstly admit there were a few negatives in theTyrone performance, but none more than you get from any team, and to all the begrudgers i would say, if you can't watch that match and concede that Tyrone played brilliant, entertaining, committed and skilful football you're an idiot. It must be hard to be so relentlessly churlish and negative, and if you didn't think that was entertaining football, you've no place on a GAA discussion board.

And if you're on a wind-up, well done.
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Fear ón Srath Bán

From Hoganstand.com:

With more beards in evidence than a woodcutter's convention, the O'Neill County men completely destroyed their bewildered opponents with a display of panache, pace, power, skill, hunger and facial hair. All but 0-1 of their huge tally came from play, while hot favourites Dublin simply had no answer as they succumbed to a shock twelve-point drubbing.

;D

magickingdom

Quote from: Son_of_Sam on August 17, 2008, 05:37:14 AM
To the drunken Dubliner I met in a Melbourne hostel on thursday night who spent an hour moaning about 2006 & telling me why Dublin would have given Kerry a better Final & why Mayo where sh1t  ;D  :D  8)

How many points did Tyrone beat Mayo by? How many points did Galway who lost narrowly to Kerry beat Mayo by? 

galway lost narrowly to kerry? dont think so... great performance by tyrone all over the field, dont think the dubs won any battle and thanks for the warning!!!

fair play to the dublin fans yesterday, they were class with doher and the way the hill reacted to the defeat

Fear ón Srath Bán

Was chatting to a few Kilkenny heads last night, and they reckoned that "Kilkenny played hurling against Cork last week like Tyrone play football"... Wow!... Compliments come no greater!

under the bar

Still speechless following yesterday's display.  3-13 from play is unreal.    No team Kerry included could have withstood that onslaught.  Forgot to set the SKY+ to record it.  Anybody got it on DVD?

blasmere

The ref, a Kerry man taking retrospective action against Cavanagh - could get a bit political that
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

ONeill

What can you say after witnessing that? As someone text me last night – they've just finished eating their humble pie and are currently wiping the egg off their face. I include myself in that bracket. Tyrone produced the performance that you could only hope for but never expected. It was simply a dream. Albeit some flaws, they managed to patch together all those little tit-bits of good play over the last 5 games and produced 60-65 mins of scintillating, dominating football. The support play was almost on a par to the AIF of 2005, just falling short. McMenamin, the McMahons, Gormley, Jordan, Holmes, McGinley, the McGuigans, McCullagh, Harte ...the list goes on – they produced their best performances of the year individually and as a collective unit. Dooher and Cavanagh were legendary figures prowling the Croker turf yesterday.

How did this happen? Firstly it was foolish to doubt the attitude of our players and I include myself in that grouping. You don't win 2 AIs scratching your arse. However, we had only seen snippets of what they were capable of since 2005. The Meath game last year meant that we were always fearing the worst and the majority of Tyrone fans there yesterday went expecting defeat but hoping for a last hurrah. They got more than the latter. Secondly, Dublin in Croke Park seems to bring out the best in this crop. They relish the occasion and their pedigree of producing All-Ireland winning performances since 1998 was there for all to see. They're a special group. Thirdly, I thought the Dubs were extremely nervous and lost. Pillar was too busy harassing the linesman to give some sort of guidance to his players. Do they even listen to him? To leave Sherlock and Quinn up front and launch high balls into them beggared belief. Dublin are better off without Pillar if they harbour AI ambitions. Did Pillar get the best out of a mediocre bunch? I think they underachieved during the last 2-3 years when an All-Ireland was there for the taking. Whelan and Ryan were clueless as to how to distribute good ball under pressure and Whelan's demeanour in the first half smacked of a man who'd accepted the inevitable. The 5-week lay-off didn't help – same as 3 years ago.

Big up to the Jackeen fans though. Found them fair-minded and wished us all well. Funniest moment was when a fan lit his wallet, stood up and waved it around – they do that in Madrid? Got a laugh anyway. Saw the Dub coach leave and they were mightily shattered. As for Tyrone, as Mickey said, one swallow doesn't make a summer. We remember the Donegal game last year and how we never reached those heights again. Wexford are in the position we were yesterday. A big challenge.

But – to you Mickey Harte and his team – you are the men!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

I saw a big baldy supporter, with a dirty beard and a '95 Tyrone top with leather patches on the elbows. Wasn't you by any chance ONeill?
Testing Accessibility

seafoid

Fair play to Mickey Harte for picking up the pieces and then some after the disaster against Down, when so many people were saying the game was up. It must have been really hard to walk out the gate after that match wondering if his time and his team were finished . 

TirEoghaingodeo

Quote from: under the bar on August 17, 2008, 04:04:29 PM
Still speechless following yesterday's display.  3-13 from play is unreal.    No team Kerry included could have withstood that onslaught.  Forgot to set the SKY+ to record it.  Anybody got it on DVD?

If you're in ireland you can watch it on rte.ie in the 2008 championship section. Needs realplayer
Ó dá ligfeadh sí liú amháin gaile, liú catha...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 17, 2008, 04:32:15 PM
As someone text me last night – they've just finished eating their humble pie and are currently wiping the egg off their face. I include myself in that bracket

How did this happen? Firstly it was foolish to doubt the attitude of our players and I include myself in that grouping.

Don't ever be so naïve again  ;)

under the bar

QuoteIf you're in ireland you can watch it on rte.ie in the 2008 championship section. Needs realplayer

Can you view it in the North?  Not working for me.