The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on February 15, 2018, 09:08:14 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 14, 2018, 09:01:48 PM
Think there's a great chance for the English sides this season. Liverpool will be able to rest lads in the second leg if this doesn't disprove for them. So will City. Spurs in a good place too though still a bit to do. Of course my own team will probably go out looking for a 0-0 next week.

They certainly will. Timely rest because Man United game is after the second leg.

Didn't realise that. Great.  ::)

AZOffaly

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2018, 10:03:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2018, 09:29:25 PM
That might be the Mane issue sorted. Some performance away from home in fairness.
As strange as it sounds, I actually thought mane wasn't great last night, especially in the first half!
The third goal was a great finish though and he seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on. Hopefully thats him back in a bit of form again.

Ah yeah, he was still ropey enough for a lot of the first half, but he grew into the game, so hopefully that'll give him the confidence to kick on.

trileacman

Mane had two tap ins and a screamer when the tie never mind the match was as good as dead. He butchered 2-3 chances whilst the game was still in the melting pot. I don't mean to be too hard on him but he preformed as he has been lately, consistently taking the wrong decision. Hopefully the hat-trick is the kick in the ass he needs.

Firmino continues to amaze me. He's technically a very limited footballer and just by observing him he's clearly in a level below mo and courinho but there's still some mercurial quality behind him. I'd guarantee if he was playing for United or a team without a attacking threat he'd look like Dogshit. There's just a perfect foil between him and this Liverpool style of play, which seems to magnify his qualities as a footballer.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: trileacman on February 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AM
Mane had two tap ins and a screamer when the tie never mind the match was as good as dead. He butchered 2-3 chances whilst the game was still in the melting pot. I don't mean to be too hard on him but he preformed as he has been lately, consistently taking the wrong decision. Hopefully the hat-trick is the kick in the ass he needs.

Firmino continues to amaze me. He's technically a very limited footballer and just by observing him he's clearly in a level below mo and courinho but there's still some mercurial quality behind him. I'd guarantee if he was playing for United or a team without a attacking threat he'd look like Dogshit. There's just a perfect foil between him and this Liverpool style of play, which seems to magnify his qualities as a footballer.

What!?? I would say he's a technically gifted footballer. His first touch is amazing. Great passer, comfortable with both feet.
Hasn't got that burst of acceleration but the rest is there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trileacman on February 15, 2018, 10:26:41 AM

How can you say Firmino is 'very' limited? His vision and flicks and the way he links up play, never mind his work rate and goalscoring record, would suggest that's extremely harsh. Unless by very limited you mean he's not Messi.

Hound

Hopefully this will be this spark that will lead Mane to be as good as he was last year.

Best midfield performance I've ever seen Milner give!

I wouldnt be going OTT on the performance. We've done plenty similar this year, and followed it up with dross. When we get ahead and don't commit defensive hari kari, we're very good. But... 

laoislad

Quote from: Hound on February 15, 2018, 10:36:25 AM
Hopefully this will be this spark that will lead Mane to be as good as he was last year.

I wouldnt be going OTT on the performance. We've done plenty similar this year, and followed it up with dross. When we get ahead and don't commit defensive hari kari, we're very good. But...
Yeah thought Milner was excellent last night.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I've said for a while now that defensively Liverpool are not bad at all when the ball is in front of them. Lovren and Matip love stepping out and intercepting passes or clearing headers. Where they fall apart is when the opposition turns them back towards their own goals, or when they get behind the fullbacks wide. Balls into the box, and bouncing round the box, are just calamities waiting to happen. VVD seems to be a little bit calmer, but I'm not convinced. Even last night, that dithering that allowed your man get the shot in that Lovern got a block on at 0-0 was a prime example. Those stupid concessions need to be cut out.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: laoislad on February 15, 2018, 10:37:30 AM

What about defense "Liverpool bugbear" is VVD and company gonna stop the goal floods when they play more potent attacks. Porto where do toothless up front it's hard to go by last night.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: laoislad on February 15, 2018, 10:37:30 AM

Milner was excellent and really set the tone for the performance, how he escaped a booking though i will never know!
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

TabClear

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 15, 2018, 10:03:04 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2018, 09:29:25 PM
That might be the Mane issue sorted. Some performance away from home in fairness.
As strange as it sounds, I actually thought mane wasn't great last night, especially in the first half!
The third goal was a great finish though and he seemed to grow in confidence as the game went on. Hopefully thats him back in a bit of form again.

I agree with that. I would argue that he took the wrong option for his third goal as TAA was steaming up alongside. Obviously at 4-0 and on a hattrick its not an issue but I still remember the Everton game!

As for describing Firminio as technically limited? No idea how anyone could come to that conclusion. Hes probably more technically gifted than Salah, and his vision is unreal.

Orchard park

dotn follow soccer too closely but doesnt the time and patience shown by mgmt to Firmino in the past show the benfits of the approach, can be applied to a lot of star minors and u21s who are expected to be senior superstars year 1 and are labelled flops if they have 2 poorish games

Denn Forever

Who's the next PL against though?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 15, 2018, 11:35:14 AM
Who's the next PL against though?

West Ham on the 24th Newcastle on ten 3rd March, Porto mid week then united the following weekend. United play Huddersfield away in the cup this weekend then Sevilla away, then Chelsea at home, then palace away then us with the Sevilla 3 days after we play them. These next few weeks could define their season. 

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on February 15, 2018, 11:32:14 AM
dotn follow soccer too closely but doesnt the time and patience shown by mgmt to Firmino in the past show the benfits of the approach, can be applied to a lot of star minors and u21s who are expected to be senior superstars year 1 and are labelled flops if they have 2 poorish games

firmino has always worked hard, and Klopp knew him from the German league, so I think that's what kept him in the team. But yes, your point is true. We are a society of short memories and instant reactions. I see Karius now being proclaimed a great goalie. He will make a mistake soon. Does that mean he's shit? Or does it mean he's a decent goalie who has weaknesses, and every so often they cost you? It's obviously the latter, but that doesn't suit the twitterati.