MOT query

Started by God14, June 12, 2017, 09:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Anybody know what the story is if your MOT appointment is set for the end of October yet your tax is up from 1st of this month - are you able to get your vehicle taxed?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 05, 2021, 05:31:39 PM
Anybody know what the story is if your MOT appointment is set for the end of October yet your tax is up from 1st of this month - are you able to get your vehicle taxed?

What date does your MOT expire?

nrico2006

Quote from: BennyCake on October 05, 2021, 06:04:23 PM

2 weeks ago.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyCake

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 05, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on October 05, 2021, 06:04:23 PM

2 weeks ago.

Well, you need to either have a car taxed or SORN'ed.

But I'm not 100% sure what documents they ask for in the post office when taxing. Insurance definitely. Not sure if they ask for MOT. So you could probably tax it without showing a MOT certificate , but technically you'll still not be able to drive it as the MOT has expired

You could SORN it until after it goes through MOT. Plus if MOT is at end of Oct, and it passed, tax it from 1 Nov and you're saved the cost of a month's tax!  ;)

PS. Although if you SORN it now, you might draw attention to the fact you didn't do it from 1 Oct. I think they give you a few days leeway to get it taxed before they send a fine. So maybe best to go tax her.

trueblue1234

Just leave it, get it mot'd then tax it straight away. You have to backdate tax to last date it was taxed. Maybe keep an eye for cancellations.
Keep off the road in meantime.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

I tried to tax mine online  a couple of days before MOT and got a warning the car was not MOT'ed and couldn't complete the transaction.

WeeDonns

Hi, I was in this scenario.
Tax for the car is £0, but I couldn't renew the tax online as MoT due date had passed & my Mot test was for 2 weeks later
I've since received 2 debt collection letters on behalf of the DVLA for a £80 fine, will see if I get another
I think you should go to a Post Office that does tax & they'll sort it

Armagh18

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 06, 2021, 03:36:43 PM
Just leave it, get it mot'd then tax it straight away. You have to backdate tax to last date it was taxed. Maybe keep an eye for cancellations.
I think they're being fairly ok you won't get done for no mot if ye have it booked unless you get a real p***k.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 06, 2021, 03:58:07 PM
I think they're being fairly ok you won't get done for no mot if ye have it booked unless you get a real p***k.
Yeah but insurance can be the issue. You'd be covered 3rd party but may have an issue with your own claim if anything happened with no mot or tax. They can challenge your claim. Prob low risk but something to be aware of.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Rich Ricci

Quote from: trueblue1234 on October 06, 2021, 04:01:34 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on October 06, 2021, 03:58:07 PM
Yeah but insurance can be the issue. You'd be covered 3rd party but may have an issue with your own claim if anything happened with no mot or tax. They can challenge your claim. Prob low risk but something to be aware of.

My MOT will have expired by the time the date of my test comes around. As stated the cops are willing to let it slide so long as you have proof of the test being booked and the car is road worthy.

In terms of insurance the letter said that the body who regulates these English insurance companies are aware of the back log. I also contacted my own company (hastings) and they said that I would still be covered.

imtommygunn

I dunno what has gone on with reminders but they seem to have just stopped. As for dispensations etc not sure but there are severe backlogs.

delgany

Quote from: The CCCC on April 23, 2022, 08:43:50 PM
Best job could be to just email them directly and see although I could be waiting a while on a reply.

I got a reminder letter for May 23rd, last week. Just missed a booking for 20th by a whisker! Nearest date , I could get was on 16th July in Craigavon. Spotted some centres were booked up to Sept.

Armagh18

Quote from: delgany on April 23, 2022, 08:58:50 PM
Best job could be to just email them directly and see although I could be waiting a while on a reply.

I got a reminder letter for May 23rd, last week. Just missed a booking for 20th by a whisker! Nearest date , I could get was on 16th July in Craigavon. Spotted some centres were booked up to Sept.
keep checking online, you've always a good chance of a cancellation check everywhere

johnnycool

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 23, 2022, 09:01:39 PM
Quote from: delgany on April 23, 2022, 08:58:50 PM

keep checking online, you've always a good chance of a cancellation check everywhere

I'm in the same boat, car MOT up last week and have been booking and checking for weeks now, still the best date I have is the 30th of July....

nrico2006

We have the worst politicians about as we know and this is another example of their failings. If something is broke, you fix it. But how is this situation still occurring when it's been going on for some time now. If you can't get an MOT appointment then you can't tax your car. The problem lies with a system not fit fir purpose and the drivers shouldn't be walking a legal tightrope as a result of it. How many years later and still no work around to accommodate the thousands of people in this predicament.