2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Ringfort on March 11, 2018, 08:13:54 PM
Syferus, you need to take a break from the Internet. Take up a totally new hobby or something. You first surfaced a few years ago as an ovely enthusiastic but naive Roscommon fanatic. You've taken a fair bit of flak over the years and you now come across as a fairly bitter and entrenched know it all, whose lack of genuine knowledge is stark on many occasions. Take a break from this shite lad, for your own good.

I think I might decide not to take life advice from an anonymous poster on a message board, thanks all the same though.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 11, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
the bad news for down is that meath and clare still have to play louth, that should be 2 points for them which would leave down in big trouble. can see us struggling against tipp next week then we have a possible relegation match in navan.

I have a funny feeling we will beat Tipp. Meath will beat Louth though to leave it all to play for on the last day for Down.

Rossfan

We once more mixed the sublime (points by Donie, goal by Cregger) and the ridiculous (Clare's 2 goals, wide open defence, no marking etc) plus sideways and backwards silly throwball.
Still good to win it and get a game of it too.
The real Promotion campaign starts now.
Bring it on .

Also can I endorse Ringforts comments regarding our fellow county lúdramán.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Ah well, for a team that were being primed for promotion since October it says a lot about our team if that's what we are amounting to now. I was quite pessimistic at the start of the year due to lads walking away and I think that pessimism is well founded. I don't think we have a better qualified manager in the county than Andy but we've had over 8 years now of stagnation and if any good is going to come from this is that people will stop thinking that replacing the manager will make a difference. It won't.

Graham Reilly aside we have a team that is definitely of Division 2 quality. Just about. I don't think we'll be relegated but we are walking wounded and Louth will be motivated to take us down with them. We have the talent to win the last two games but the lads will need to wipe the slate clean for the next two weeks and just focus on winning. Our forward lines have been very ineffective.

Whether we stay up or go down we as a county are not going to contend for any serious silverware outside of the O'Byrne Cup or Division 3 till probably around 2022 at the earliest by all indications.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Itchy

Mattie says we are going to Hyde park next week to have the craic. Sounds good.

http://www.northernsound.ie/destiny-hands-says-mattie-mcgleenan/

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on March 11, 2018, 11:37:33 PM
Ah well, for a team that were being primed for promotion since October it says a lot about our team if that's what we are amounting to now. I was quite pessimistic at the start of the year due to lads walking away and I think that pessimism is well founded. I don't think we have a better qualified manager in the county than Andy but we've had over 8 years now of stagnation and if any good is going to come from this is that people will stop thinking that replacing the manager will make a difference. It won't.

Graham Reilly aside we have a team that is definitely of Division 2 quality. Just about. I don't think we'll be relegated but we are walking wounded and Louth will be motivated to take us down with them. We have the talent to win the last two games but the lads will need to wipe the slate clean for the next two weeks and just focus on winning. Our forward lines have been very ineffective.

Whether we stay up or go down we as a county are not going to contend for any serious silverware outside of the O'Byrne Cup or Division 3 till probably around 2022 at the earliest by all indications.
Both Meath and Kildare have had a bad league which is not ideal in terms of the Leinster. championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

Can't wait for next year.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2018, 12:27:06 PM

Both Meath and Kildare have had a bad league which is not ideal in terms of the Leinster. championship.

Yeah, I had high hopes for the Leinster championship.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

manfromdelmonte

slipping further and further off Dublin if you ask me

Itchy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 12, 2018, 10:52:23 PM

slipping further and further off Dublin if you ask me

It is hard to believe how bad Meath are. Big county with a big population and a growing population. To me it stinks of a total mismanagement by county board in terms of harnessing that population.Its almost sad to see it happening, almost ;)

Rossfan

You can't have a good team with grassy banks ;D

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on March 12, 2018, 11:30:30 PM
You can't have a good team with grassy banks ;D

Grassy slopes are traditional by the Boyne.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

History like Meath football. .....

cavanmaniac

I think it'd actually serve Meath better to go down and rebuild for a few years. There'd be a trampoline effect and reorienting from dropping out of the limelight and mixing it with teams that are unlikely to put big beatings on you like Longford, Fermanagh, Carlow and maybe Westmeath. After a few years of ambition that matches ability, then you can come back up and be competitive and in the hunt for Division 1, like Cavan did after similar years spent putting in the foundation stones. Like Itchy says, it's something of a conundrum how a county like Meath has let things disintegrate to this degree.

CJ2017

Fair comment Itchy about harnessing the population,
If you compare to Mayo,

Meath Population 194,942
Mayo Population 130,425

Year Ended 2017,

Meath : Commercial Income + Fund Raising 
€399,654 + €329093 = €728,747

Mayo : Commercial Income + Fund Raising
€549,000 + €921,249 = €1,470,249 million

Interestingly Mayo's total income was €3,333,824 for the year!
I can't seem to find any of Meath's full financial statements online.
Anyone have a link?

Sources –
http://hoganstand.com/Meath/Article/Index/278849
http://mayogaa.com/content_page/18068/

Is there a Commerical Manager for Meath similar to that of Tomas Quinn of Dublin GAA?
I see Wexford were advertising for one, a lot of talk of one for Mayo etc,
http://www.wexfordgaa.ie/2017/12/exciting-job-opportunity-wexford-gaa-new-post-commercial-manager/