2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tippabu

tippabu

Less than a month till throw in. Really tough to call how this will go.  For me Louth are the weakest team and for them to stay up will take a big effort. Cork and Meath always have really high expectations amongst their fans due to past glories but rarely have lived up to them in recent years, Cork without their Nemo players too mightnt have it as straight forward as they think. I think in general its a league where every can beat anyone else and will be surprised if its not very tight last day with alot of teams still in with a shout for promotion/relegation

Rossfan

4 points from the first 3 games and you're chasing promotion, 0 or 2  tough campaign ahead.
Likely to be a few humdinger st on the last day.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2017, 12:04:36 PM
4 points from the first 3 games and you're chasing promotion, 0 or 2  tough campaign ahead.

It could be very straightforward.

tippabu

Quote from: Syferus on December 31, 2017, 01:18:25 PM

It could be very straightforward.

Maybe but that would be very surprising as theres noone in this division who youd say is well out ahead.

Captain Obvious

Not always the case as Cavan proven in 2016, lost their first two games and then won their next five to gain promotion.

mrhardyannual

Roscommon, with a Connacht title under their belt and hardened by a season in Div 1 plus the return of players "not available" last year must be well set up to do well this year. Despite the drubbing in the Croke Park replay they still have a potent forward line, above average midfield and potential to strengthen the defence. In McStay they have a top class coach. I'd be disappointed if they are not promoted.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2017, 02:47:50 PM
Not always the case as Cavan proven in 2016, lost their first two games and then won their next five to gain promotion.

You are depending on ''Favours'' then. It also depends who you lost your first two games to.

Cunny Funt

Ten points is normally enough for a top 2 finish in Div 2 but if this div turns to be as evenly matched on paper as it is in reality then maybe 9 or 8 points will be enough for promotion.

SHEEDY

loads of evenly matched teams in this division and a couple of points either way could have you in relegation trouble or chasing promotion. we (Down) just survived by the skin of our teeth last year and with only 3 home games it could easily be something similar this year.
nil satis nisi optimum

Captain Obvious

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 31, 2017, 07:22:01 PM
loads of evenly matched teams in this division and a couple of points either way could have you in relegation trouble or chasing promotion. we (Down) just survived by the skin of our teeth last year and with only 3 home games it could easily be something similar this year.
Is the Down panel for 2018 stronger or weaker than 2017?

tippabu

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2017, 07:26:39 PM

Down is the main team in the league I really dont know what to expect from. Tipp are alot stronger than last year when we were poor throughout the league but the step up and better opposition my negate that and we need to stay healthy. Cork are overrated for me, without the nemo players and theyve not shown enough the last few years to warrant strong favoritism, they are a big confidence team though and if they do get on a roll are hard to stop. Cavan have a decent draw fixturewise and maybe thats why they are 2nd favourites, will have a point to prove after a poor 2017. Roscommon i think will be in with a good shout for promotion. Hard to know what to make of meath, they always put out good vibes and over confidence but usually let themselves down and end up in mediocrity. Clare i think have reached their ceiling, if they finish 6th or 5th theyll be delighted. Louth i just cant see staying up and if they do then it will be a brilliant effort

SHEEDY

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 31, 2017, 07:26:39 PM
last years goalie micky cunningham has left the panel to go to work in america and jerome johnson has gone travelling and wont be available for the league campaign added to that is the retirements of mark poland and aiden carr. the big thing for down is the fact that the likes of connaire harrison and darragh o hanlon will be no longer unknown quantities. hopefully we can build on last year and have a good league.
nil satis nisi optimum

ardtole

Shane Harrison has been called up to the squad, probably as a direct replacement for Cunningham.

Johnstone will be a miss but Niall Madine has committed for this year, he would be a similar style of player to Connaire Harrison so it will be interesting to see if they can work together.

Carr and Poland had limited game time last year and Burns seems to prefer Maginn to Poland. All in all I think we can improve on last year and be quite competitive in div 2 but I am a sucker too for pre season optimism.

thejuice

Meath squad announced last week. No one from O'Mahony's and more from Rathoath than Simonstown is an eyebrow raiser. We won't have Keoghan for the league. Ronan Jones, Paddy O'Rourke, Pauric Harnan, Joe Sheridan and Ruari O Coilleann all excluded themselves from the panel. Harry Rooney has returned from Australia at least

QuoteEamon Wallace, Brian Power, Joey Wallace, Conor McGill, Bryan McMahon, Cian O'Brien (Ratoath)
Brian Conlon, Mark McCabe, Podge McKeever, Sean Tobin (Simonstown)
David Gallagher, Shane McEntee, Seamus Lavin, Donal Lenihan (Dunboyne)
Andy Colgan, Sean Curran, Bryan Menton (Ashbounre)
Paddy Kennelly, Conor Dempsey, Luke Martyn (Dunderry)
Robert Garry, Caolach Halligan, Donal Keoghan (Rathkenny)
Shane Glynn, Dan O'Neill, Thomas O'Reilly (Tones)
Biggie, Ben Brennan (Cillies)
Dave Toner, James McEntee (Curragha)
Alan Douglas, Luke Moran (Trim)
Harry Rooney, Eoghan Greene (Skryne)
Mickey Burke (Longwood)
Liam Ferguson (Kells)
Barry Dardis (Summerhill)
Adam Flanagan (Clonard)
Daragh Griffin (Athboy)
Adam McDermott (Dunshauglin)
Cillian O'Sullivan (Moynalvey).

Not seeing a whole lot of strength in that squad and so many places up for grabs and lads still yet to prove themselves that suggests we'll be treading water at best this year but my gut feeling is we'll be in the relegation mix up this year and Longford might well turn us over in Leinster.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016