Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: grounded on May 10, 2023, 03:47:06 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 10, 2023, 12:24:34 PM
Quote from: grounded on May 10, 2023, 12:20:23 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on May 10, 2023, 11:18:41 AM
Lock the thread Mods!!

Yep, ditto to that.
We'd still need a thread to talk about the match though?

There has been little or no discussion of the match this last few pages.

We're five hours behind most of you, but I wasn't expecting THIS when I clicked on the thread to see the latest.

f**king helll!☹️

Derry in a tough spot, but the only responsible thing to do is stand him down for now until this is resolved.

lurganblue

The latest Whatsapp going around with another side to the story.  One thing is for sure, whatever the whole truth is, it's a sad state of affairs.

themac_23

Quote from: J70 on May 10, 2023, 04:19:08 PM
Lock the thread Mods!!

Yep, ditto to that.

We're five hours behind most of you, but I wasn't expecting THIS when I clicked on the thread to see the latest.

f**king helll!☹️

Derry in a tough spot, but the only responsible thing to do is stand him down for now until this is resolved.

So if it comes to light that it's been a vindictive ex who is trying to ruin a man, his career and his life. They should be allowed to take away one of the biggest achievements in his life? I know where people are coming from but this is the very definition of trial by social media, innocent until proven guilty is what it should be and whether we think someone is guilty or not they shouldn't be hung before all the facts are brought to light not just 1 side.

Wildweasel74

I think if people want talk about this, do their own thread, and keep this one fball related,

uimhr ocht

This should be locked down talk about the game ok not online rumours,social media isn't the best place to start this,this should been done through proper channels years ago,close the thread

Solo_run

Quote from: lurganblue on May 10, 2023, 04:26:21 PM
The latest Whatsapp going around with another side to the story.  One thing is for sure, whatever the whole truth is, it's a sad state of affairs.

Have seen that but haven't seen a name put to it. Could very well be an ex who is being vindictive - if so she is going to be in for a torrid time of it via social media. 

Anyway, more interested in the game, Derry Co board will have to deal with it.

J70

Quote from: themac_23 on May 10, 2023, 04:30:04 PM
Lock the thread Mods!!

Yep, ditto to that.

f**king helll!☹️

So if it comes to light that it's been a vindictive ex who is trying to ruin a man, his career and his life. They should be allowed to take away one of the biggest achievements in his life? I know where people are coming from but this is the very definition of trial by social media, innocent until proven guilty is what it should be and whether we think someone is guilty or not they shouldn't be hung before all the facts are brought to light not just 1 side.

Fair point. Like I said, Derry are in a tough spot.

There's a few days to go before the match - they have to do something (and I'm sure they're scrambling as we speak).

Maybe they meet with him, he gives the background and makes a convincing case and they're happy to stand by him.

I'm away from the Donegal club and local scene a long time, so I've never heard any of the rumours which suddenly appear to have been widespread, according to the internet.

WT4E

Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 10, 2023, 12:31:47 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 10, 2023, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 09:34:01 AM
His position is untenable. If I was a Derry player (apart from McFaul maybe) I'd lose every ounce of respect I had for him.

Wise up GL you clampit!
Apologies, we actually know for a fact McFaul left someone in intensive care after an unprovoked attack because he can't handle his drink. These are just allegations (unproven in a court of law) at this stage with Gallagher.

How do you know for a fact?

Can you post it.

My understanding was he was provoked/attacked by members of a rival team out there and that the lad who was left in hospital wouldn't have great character. But I will say I don't this for a fact.
Google is your friend... as for your understanding, maybe you could post it?

Google sounds like your talking shite and haven't got proof it's a fact.

As for me posting. I said I didn't know it was fact but it was my understanding from people close to the situation

jmk

At this stage the veracity of the allegations is irrelevant in relation to what the Derry County Board have to do, they have to stand him down simply because these allegations are out there in such a public way. There are plenty of examples of people being stood down in similar circumstances in many walks of life.
They will come under pressure from Croke Park to deal with this quickly as well.
Even from a pragmatic point of view, can you imagine how ugly the scenes could get on Sunday if he is on the line- Croke Park will simply not allow that scenario to develop and be front page headlines.

Itchy

I hope that story is not true however, from a Derry County board position they will have to suspend him or in someway remove him pending investigation. If he is innocent it is a horrible place to be, suspended, but a football club will need to work on the worst case scenario - that its true. Shocking story but all too common at the moment.

general_lee

Quote from: WT4E on May 10, 2023, 04:46:40 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: WT4E on May 10, 2023, 12:31:47 PM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 12:10:01 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 10, 2023, 10:37:13 AM
Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2023, 09:34:01 AM
His position is untenable. If I was a Derry player (apart from McFaul maybe) I'd lose every ounce of respect I had for him.

Wise up GL you clampit!
Apologies, we actually know for a fact McFaul left someone in intensive care after an unprovoked attack because he can't handle his drink. These are just allegations (unproven in a court of law) at this stage with Gallagher.

How do you know for a fact?

Can you post it.

My understanding was he was provoked/attacked by members of a rival team out there and that the lad who was left in hospital wouldn't have great character. But I will say I don't this for a fact.
Google is your friend... as for your understanding, maybe you could post it?

Google sounds like your talking shite and haven't got proof it's a fact.

As for me posting. I said I didn't know it was fact but it was my understanding from people close to the situation
No you flid, I said Google it because I didn't want to derail this thread any further and there's also an absolute raft of sources said that it was unprovoked, including the DA's office:
https://www.suffolkdistrictattorney.com/press-releases/items/2022/8/3/man-arraigned-in-june-assault-that-left-victim-in-icu

Itchy

Quote from: Orior on May 10, 2023, 01:25:43 PM
Flip sake. I came on here to post Paddy Power odds on how many times RG will spit on his hands during the match.

Two responses here are important
1) As Walter Cronc says, why now?
2) As JimStynes says, there are always two sides so we need to be careful

It's over to the County Board to either deal with it or ignore.

This shite has been said a few times. There are not always two sides to the story. IF he beat the shite out of his wife, there is not an other side that somehow justifies it - unless you are a woman beating caveman of course.

tbrick18

Quote from: jmk on May 10, 2023, 04:46:52 PM
At this stage the veracity of the allegations is irrelevant in relation to what the Derry County Board have to do, they have to stand him down simply because these allegations are out there in such a public way. There are plenty of examples of people being stood down in similar circumstances in many walks of life.
They will come under pressure from Croke Park to deal with this quickly as well.
Even from a pragmatic point of view, can you imagine how ugly the scenes could get on Sunday if he is on the line- Croke Park will simply not allow that scenario to develop and be front page headlines.

What if there is no police investigation?
Should he be removed based on social media posts? I can certainly see a case to suspend if there is an ongoing police investigation, but if it's just social media then where does it stop?
Anyone can say anything about anyone online. I could go online now and make some false accusations about the Armagh manager. Should Armagh county board suspend him until that's investigated?

In the absence of official police investigations, online posts should be ignored in all walks of life in my opinion as it could all be nonsense.
That's not taking away from what I'd expect to happen to a perpetrator of such an attack or how a victim should be treated, I simply think we can't let online social media be the source of truth that gets taken seriously.

Tubberman

Quote from: Itchy on May 10, 2023, 05:02:26 PM
Quote from: Orior on May 10, 2023, 01:25:43 PM
Flip sake. I came on here to post Paddy Power odds on how many times RG will spit on his hands during the match.

Two responses here are important
1) As Walter Cronc says, why now?
2) As JimStynes says, there are always two sides so we need to be careful

It's over to the County Board to either deal with it or ignore.

This shite has been said a few times. There are not always two sides to the story. IF he beat the shite out of his wife, there is not an other side that somehow justifies it - unless you are a woman beating caveman of course.

Hear hear!
I wanted to say the same thing. In fairness, I think (hope) people meant that there might be doubts as to the truth of the story, rather than there's anything she did that could have warranted what he allegedly did.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

gallsman

Quote from: themac_23 on May 10, 2023, 04:30:04 PM
Lock the thread Mods!!

Yep, ditto to that.

f**king helll!☹️

This. Is. Not. About. Any. Criminal. Matter.

Ask yourself the reverse. Say there's an investigation and the allegations are corroborated and proved, either partially or in full. Are you really suggesting the CB should be able to fall back on "ah there was no proof of it at the time so it's grand. Sorry about that lads".

The cleanest solution here is for Gallagher to stand aside voluntarily and save the CB the trouble and the hassle. He of course has every right to maintain his innocence and defend his name. If he does not, the next best option is for him to be stood down. There is zero risk to the CB doing so. Given the seriousness of the allegations and the noise around it, it is the only sensible thing to do.